The Goddess of Atvatabar - Cover

The Goddess of Atvatabar

Public Domain

Chapter 46: The Arrest of Lyone

While the entertainment was at its height, we were surprised by one of the guards informing us that a messenger had arrived at the fortress from Egyplosis, bearing for me a despatch of the utmost importance from the high priest Hushnoly.

We were all excitement at the news, and on opening the despatch, I read as follows:

To His Excellency LEXINGTON WHITE, _Lord Admiral of
Atvatabar, Greeting_:
“Your glorious victory over the royal fleet has awakened
popular excitement in favor of deposing His Majesty King
Aldemegry Bhoolmakar, and establishing our late beloved
goddess Lyone on the throne, as queen of Atvatabar.
Egyplosis has openly espoused the cause of Lyone, and the
sacred college of priests and priestesses have taken up arms
in favor of the goddess. His majesty, being resolved to
stamp out rebellion at any cost, has caused the arrest of
Lyone at her palace, Tanje, and has confined her in the
fortress Calnogor as hostage for the good behavior of the
people. He has threatened to put Lyone to death in case her
followers attempt any hostile demonstrations against the
king’s authority. We of Egyplosis are committed to the
cause of Her Majesty Lyone, Queen of Atvatabar!

HUSHNOLY.”

This was most alarming news! While we had been feasting in inglorious ease our queen had been arrested and imprisoned! The time for action had come.

Ere we could deliberate on the best course to pursue, a second message from Hushnoly arrived, stating that the king, hearing of the outbreak in Egyplosis, had ordered Coltonobory, the commander-in-chief, to proceed with his wayleals to Egyplosis, to capture Hushnoly and disband his followers. This being an open declaration of war, had precipitated a civil struggle, and the armies both of the king and queen were being recruited with great excitement on both sides. As for Kioram, that city had declared for our cause, and the governor was overjoyed to know that the victory of the Polar King had resulted in the entire fleet espousing the cause of Lyone.

I questioned Governor Ladalmir on the strength and equipment of both the king’s forces and those willing to support Lyone, and the probabilities of our cause being successful.

He informed me that the king already commanded an army of half a million men, composed two-thirds of wayleals and one-third bockhockids, or flying cavalry, armed with swords, shields and spears of deadly power. The adherents of Lyone numbered already one hundred thousand men, who had also proclaimed her queen of Atvatabar, including five thousand amazons from Egyplosis, who would fight for their late goddess to the death, all similarly armed.

“The future is doubtful,” said the governor; “but with your aid we may well hope for success. I congratulate you on your splendid victory, which is already known throughout the kingdom, and will increase our forces to two hundred and fifty thousand men. It will cheer the heart of our late goddess to know that she also already possesses a powerful fleet.”

“Do you consider the queen in any immediate danger at the hands of the king or government?” I inquired.

“Well,” said the governor, “at the present stage of affairs it is difficult to think that either king or Borodemy would dare to execute her majesty, even although it might be according to law. Yet, if alarmed at the partial destruction and defection of the fleet and the growing power of the queen’s followers, the bloodthirsty king and frightened government might possibly execute her, especially if they saw no hope for themselves in the coming struggle.”

“Then,” said I, “whether we fight or not, our queen is in very serious danger of death?”

“That is what I most fear,” said the governor. “As soon as I heard of the imprisonment of her majesty I called a review of my garrison of wayleals and bockhockids, and asked them if they would espouse the cause of the queen, and to a man they swore allegiance thereto. I conceive the only way to secure respect for the queen is to make her followers as formidable as possible.”

“Action,” I added, “is imperative. We must strike the king’s army a fearful blow, to impress his majesty with respect for our power. The queen must either be released by the king or we will release her ourselves. There must be an immediate mobilization of the queen’s army, and preceding that, a council of war in the fortress of Kioram to appoint a commander-in-chief and generals of division. Governor Ladalmir,” I continued, “I thank you in the name of Lyone for your allegiance. It is very gratifying to the fleet to know that it is spared the necessity of bombarding your beautiful city.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close