D-99 - Cover

D-99

Public Domain

Chapter 11

Smith stood at the corner of the corridor, leaning back every half minute or so to peek around at the stretch leading toward the library and communications room.

Westervelt had propped himself with folded arms against the opposite wall, facing the door to the stairs.

Beryl hovered behind Parrish, who faced Smith impatiently between darting glares at Westervelt.

“All right, I guess I have to tell you, Pete,” said Smith in a low tone. “You might say we are temporarily inconvenienced.”

“By him?” asked Parrish, jerking a thumb in Westervelt’s direction. “That I could understand. The kid’s beginning to think he’s a comedian. He started out just now playing Charley’s Aunt.”

“Sssh!” said Smith softly.

Westervelt turned his head toward the main entrance, wondering how far Parrish’s voice had carried.

Smith’s dapper assistant looked from one to the other. Seeking some evidence of sanity, he turned with raised eyebrows to Beryl. The blonde rounded her blue eyes at him and shrugged.

“Pete, this is no joke,” insisted Smith. “I wish it hadn’t gotten around so fast, but there it is.”

“There what is?” demanded Parrish, in a tone bordering on the querulous.

“Well ... there’s been some kind of power failure throughout the business district. There aren’t any elevators running, and we don’t know how long it will be until the power company copes with the trouble.”

“No elevators?” repeated Parrish.

He stared at the sliding doors of the elevator shaft as if unable to comprehend the lack of such service. The idea seemed to sink in.

No elevators? And ninety-nine stories up?”

“Sssh!” said Smith, glancing down the corridor.

“What’s the matter with you, Castor?” asked Parrish. “Are you watching for someone ... someone ... oh!”

“See what I’m thinking?” asked Smith.

They faced each other for a moment in silence.

“Well, it ought to be all right, as long as he can get down the stairs if he wants to,” said Parrish. “I’m sorry, Beryl. We’ll have to make it some other time.”

“But how are we going to get home?” asked the blonde.

“Oh, they’ll probably have it fixed by the time we’re finished here,” said Parrish.

“Then what’s all the trouble about. Why is Willie looking so sour?”

Westervelt braced himself against the impact of three glances and tried not to sneer. The other two men cleared their throats and looked back at Beryl.

“I’m going to have to ask your co-operation, Beryl,” said Smith. “First, Pete, I’d like to point out to you a little gem of modern design. This door here is powered to slide open automatically for a fire or other emergency.”

“Of course,” said Parrish curiously.

“But there isn’t any power,” Smith pointed out.

Parrish reached out impatiently and tried the door. He wrenched at it two or three times, then bent to peer for the latch.

“No use, Pete,” said Smith, glancing down the hall again. “Willie already went through that whole routine. I’ve been on the phone to the building manager, and there isn’t anything he can do except send a party up from the seventy-fifth floor to burn open the door from the stair side.”

“Is he doing it?”

“Well, frankly ... I told him it wasn’t necessary,” said Smith, getting a stubborn look on his long face.

“But you know Bob!” expostulated Parrish. “If he gets the idea that he’s penned in here--”

“I know, I know,” said Smith. “On the other hand, we can always get something from the lab and break out from this side, provided we take care not to let him know what is going on until later.”

Westervelt eyed Beryl sardonically. He had seldom seen an expression so blended of impatience and vague worry. He wondered if anyone would explain to her.

Parrish shook his head.

“I think it might be better to call downstairs again, and have them come up,” he said.

“I don’t want to do that,” said Smith.

“Why not?”

“It would get around. Pretty soon, the story would be all over the D.I.R.”

Parrish actually leaned forward slightly to study his chief’s face. He found no words, but his very expression was plaintive. Smith sighed.

“We’re in the business of springing spacers from jails all over the explored galaxy,” he said. “We’re supposed to be loaded to the jets with high-potency brainwaves and have a gadget for every purpose! How is it going to look if we’re locked in our own office and can’t get out without help?”

Parrish threw up his hands. Pivoting, he walked loosely a few feet along the corridor and back, squeezing his chin in the palm of one hand. He clasped his hands behind his back, then, and peered around Smith at the empty wing of the corridor.

“Maybe we could dope him,” he suggested, without much feeling.

“I should have thought of that,” admitted Smith, “but he’s finished eating.”

“Can’t we find something in the lab to shoot a dart?”

As Smith tried to remember, Westervelt interrupted.

“If you decide on that, I’m not volunteering, thank you. Did you ever see Mr. Lydman move in a hurry? Whoever tries it had better not miss with the first dart!”

Smith said, “Harumph!” and Parrish looked uncomfortable. The assistant glanced momentarily at Beryl, but shook his head immediately.

Westervelt followed his thinking. For one thing, Lydman was known to be devoted to his wife and two children; for another, who knew how badly Beryl might miss?

“Now, if everyone will just keep calm,” said Smith, “and we can keep Bob busy, we’ll probably get along fine until they restore power. How long can it take, after all? They can’t waste any time with a large part of a modern city like this cut off. It’s unthinkable.”

“I suppose you’re right,” said Parrish.

Smith turned to Beryl.

“What I meant by asking your co-operation,” he said, “is that we’ll need to have someone with Mr. Lydman most of the time. Willie has been doing it until now, but we don’t want it to look like deliberate surveillance.”

“But why?” asked Beryl. “I mean ... I see that it worries all of you that ... that he might find out. But what if he does?”

“Possibly nothing,” answered Smith. “On the other hand, Mr. Lydman was once imprisoned, in his space traveling days. He was held for a long time under very trying conditions; and the experience has left him with a problem. It is not exactly claustrophobia...”

He paused, as if to let Beryl recall other remarks about Lydman. Their general air of gravity seemed to impress her.

“I’ll be ... glad to help,” she said reluctantly.

“Fine!” said Smith. “Probably nothing will be necessary. Now, I think we had better go in and tell Si, so that everyone will be alerted to the situation.”

Westervelt caught the glance that passed between Parrish and Beryl. He was almost certain that each of them was mentally counting the people who had known before they had been told.

That’s what you get for being so busy in the dead files, he thought.

They trouped in behind Smith. Simonetta watched as if they had been a parade. Smith, with an occasional comment from Parrish, told her the story.

“So that is the partial reason for staying late,” he concluded, “although, of course, the case of Harris comes first.”

Westervelt had wandered over to a window. He adjusted the filter dial for maximum clarity and looked out.

From where he was, he could see a great black carpet across part of the city, spreading out from somewhere beneath his position until it was cut by a sharp line of street lights many blocks away. Beyond that, the city looked normal. To the near side of the invisible boundary and, he supposed, for a like distance in the opposite direction behind his viewpoint, there were only sparse and faint glows of emergency lights. Some were doubtless powered by buildings with the equipment for the purpose, others were the lights of police and emergency vehicles on the ground or cruising low between the taller buildings.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close