Supermind - Cover

Supermind

Public Domain

Chapter 15

Malone sat, quietly relaxed and almost completely at ease, in the depths of a huge, comfortable, old-fashioned Morris chair. Three similar chairs were clustered with his, around a squat, massive coffee table made of a single slab of dark wood set on short, curved legs. Malone looked around at the other three with a relaxed feeling of recognition: Andrew J. Burris, Sir Lewis Carter, and Luba Vasilovna Garbitsch.

“That mind shield of yours,” Burris was saying, “is functioning very well. We weren’t entirely sure you had actually located us until you pulled into that driveway.”

“I wasn’t entirely sure what I was locating,” Malone said.

“And so it’s over,” Burris said with a satisfied air. “Everything’s over.”

“And just beginning,” Sir Lewis put in. He drew a pipe from an inside pocket and began to fill it.

“And, of course,” Burris said, “just beginning. Things do that; they go round and round in circles. It’s what makes everything so confusing.”

“And so much fun,” Lou said, leaning back in her chair. She didn’t look hostile now, Malone thought; she looked like a cat, wary but content. He decided that he liked this Lou even better than the old one. Lou, at home among her psionic colleagues, was even more than he’d ever thought she could be.

“More what?” she said suddenly. Burris jerked upright a trifle.

“What’s more what?” he said. “Damn it, let’s stick to one thing or the other. As soon as this thing starts mixing talk and thought it confuses me.”

“Never mind,” Lou said. She smiled across the table at Malone.

Malone jerked a finger under his collar.

“What made you decide to come here?” Sir Lewis said. He had the pipe lit now, and blew a cloud of fragrant smoke over the table.

Malone wondered where to start. “One of the clues,” he said at last, “was the efficiency of the FBI. It hit me the same way the efficiency of the PRS had hit me, while I was looking at the batch of reports that had been run off so rapidly.”

“Ah,” Sir Lewis said. “The dossiers.”

“Dossiers?” Burris said.

Sir Lewis puffed at his pipe. “Sorry,” he said. “I thought you had been tuned in for that.”

“I was busy,” Burris said. “I can’t tune into everything. After all, I’ve only got one mind.”

“And two hands,” Malone said at random.

“At least,” Lou said. Their eyes met in a glance of perfect understanding.

“What the hell do hands have to do with it?” Burris said.

Sir Lewis shrugged. “Tune in and see,” he said. “It’s an old joke; but you’ll never really adjust to telepathy unless you practice.”

“Damn it,” Burris said, “I practice. I’m always practicing. This and that and the other thing--after all, I am the director of the FBI. There’s a lot to be done.”

Sir Lewis puffed at his pipe again. “At any rate,” he said smoothly, “Mr. Malone had requested some dossiers on us. On the PRS, myself, and Luba. They arrived very quickly. The efficiency of that arrival, and the efficiency he’d been noting about the FBI ever since he began work on this case, finally struck home to him.”

“Ah,” Burris said. “You see? The FBI’s a full-time job. It’s got to be efficient.”

“Of course,” Sir Lewis said soothingly.

“Anyhow,” Malone said, “Sir Lewis is right. While every other branch of the government was having its troubles with the Great Confusion, the FBI was ticking along like a transistorized computer.”

“A good start,” Sir Lewis said.

“Darn good,” Burris said. “Malone, I knew I could depend on you. You’re a good man.”

Malone swallowed hard. “Well, anyway,” he said after a pause, “when I saw that I began to remember a few other things. Starting with a couple of years ago, when we first found Her Majesty, remember?”

“I’ll never forget it,” Burris said fervently. “She knighted me. Knight Commander of the Queen’s Own FBI. What a moment.”

“Thrilling,” Malone said. “But you got to Yucca Flats for your knighting awfully quickly, a little too fast even for a modern plane.”

“It had to be done,” Burris said. “Anyhow, I’ve never really liked planes. Basically unsafe. People crash in them.”

“But you wouldn’t,” Malone said. “You could always teleport yourself out.”

“Sure,” Burris said. “But that’s troublesome. Why bother? Anyhow, I’d been to Yucca Flats before, so I could teleport there--a little way down the road, where I could meet my car--without any trouble.”

“Anyhow, that was one thing,” Malone said. “And then there was Her Majesty, when she pointed at that visiphone screen and accused you of being the telepathic spy. Remember?”

“She wasn’t pointing at me,” Burris said. “She was pointing at the man in the next room. How about you doing some remembering?”

“Sure she was,” Malone said. “But it was just a little coincidence. And I have a hunch she felt, subconsciously, that there was something not quite right about you.”

“Maybe,” Burris conceded. “But that doesn’t answer my question.”

“It doesn’t?” Malone said.

“Now look, Malone,” Burris said. “None of this is proof. Not real proof. Not the kind the FBI has trained you to look for.”

“But--”

“What I want to know,” Burris said, “is why you came here, to my home? And in spite of everything you’ve said, that hasn’t been tied down.”

Malone frowned. After a second’s thought he said, “Well ... All I know is that it just seemed obvious. That’s all.”

“Indeed it is,” Sir Lewis said. “But one of the things we’ll have to teach you, my boy, is how to distinguish between a deduction from observed fact and a psionic intuition. You’ve been confusing them for some years now.”

“I have?” Malone said.

“Sure you have,” Burris said. “And, what’s more--”

“Well, he’s no worse than you are, Andrew,” Lou said.

Burris turned. “Me?” he said in a voice of withering scorn.

“Certainly,” Lou said. “After all, you’ve never really become used to mixtures of thought and speech. And, what’s more, you’ve been using telepathy so long that when you try to communicate with nothing but words you only confuse yourself.”

“And everybody else,” Sir Lewis added.

“Hmpf,” Burris said. “I’m busy all the time. I haven’t got any extra time for practice.”

Malone nodded, comparatively unsurprised. He’d wondered for years how a man so obviously unable to express himself clearly could run an organization like the FBI as well as he did. Having psionic abilities evidently led to drawbacks as well as advantages.

“Actually,” he said, “my prescience made one mistake.”

“Really?” Burris said, looking both worried and pleased about it.

“I expected the place to be full of people,” Malone said. “I thought the elite corps of the PRS would be here.”

“Oh,” Burris said, looking crestfallen.

“Why, that was no mistake,” Sir Lewis said. “As a matter of fact, they are all here. But they’re quite busy at the moment; things are coning to a head, you know, and they must work quite undisturbed.”

“And this,” Burris added, “is a good place for it. There are sixty rooms in this house. Sixty.”

“That’s a lot of rooms,” Malone said politely.

“A mansion,” Burris said. “A positive mansion. And my family has lived here ever since--”

“I’m sure Ken isn’t very interested in your family just now,” Lou broke in.

“My family,” Burris said with dignity, “is a very interesting family.”

“I’m sure it must be,” Lou said demurely. Sir Lewis choked with laughter suddenly and began waving his pipe. After a minute, Malone joined in.

“Damn it,” Burris said. “Let’s stick to one thing or the other. Did I say that?”

“Twice,” Malone said.

“Sixty rooms,” Burris said. “All built by my family. And local contractors, of course. That’s enough to house sixty rooms full of people. And that number of people is a large houseful, I should think.”

“It sounds like a lot,” Malone said.

“It is a lot,” Burris said. “All in my house. The house my family built.”

“And we’re grateful for it,” Sir Lewis said soothingly. “We truly are.”

“Good,” Burris said.

“You must have had a large family,” Lou said.

“A large family,” Burris said, “and many guests. Many, many guests. From all over. Including famous people. General Hood slept in this house, and he slept very well indeed.”

“As a matter of fact,” Lou added, “he’s still sleeping. They call it being dead.”

“That’s not funny,” Burris snapped.

“Sorry,” Lou said. “It was meant to be.”

“I--” Burris shut his mouth and glared.

Malone was far away, thinking of the sixty rooms full of people, sitting quietly, their minds ranging into the distance, meshed together in small units. It was a picture that frightened and comforted him at the same time. He wasn’t sure he liked it, but he certainly didn’t dislike it, either.

After all, he told himself confusedly, too many cooks save a stitch in time.

He veered away from that sentence quickly. “Tell me,” he said, “were you receiving my broadcast on the way here?”

Burris and Sir Lewis nodded. Lou started to nod, too, but stopped and looked surprised. “You mean you didn’t know we were?” she said.

“How could I know?” Malone said. “After all, I was just tossing it out and hoping that somebody was on the listening end.”

“But of course somebody was,” Lou said. “I was.”

“Good,” Malone said. “But I still don’t see how I was supposed to know that you--”

“I answered you, silly,” Lou said. “I kept on answering you. Remember?”

Malone blinked, focused and then said, very slowly, “That was my imagination. Please tell me it was my imagination before I go nuts.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close