Winds of Change
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2006 by R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot. All rights reserved

Gabe Marion, standing in the doorway, said, “I saw a gun fired in Charleston yesterday that can fire over eight hundred rounds a minute. Of course, to do that it would have to have a much larger storage area for the bullets, but it fired thirty rounds in about the time it takes me to blink.”

“Welcome back.”

“Thanks. We heard you had a spot of trouble?”

“Yes, Sam decided that a shilling wasn’t enough, so he wanted all my money.”

“You get him with the cane?” asked Isaac.

“That’s what it was designed for,” answered Grant.

“Ben, here is a prime example of how selected downtimers can adapt. These men had never seen any of this before noon yesterday. Of course, education, trust and respect were key elements of the results.”

Sophie stood at the rear of the room, and said, “You sure provided Sam with an education. The fact that you didn’t kill him but brought him to me added the respect and trust. As a result, you now have a devoted servant.”

“Sophie, I don’t want a servant, but how’s his hand?”

“I think he’ll regain most of its use, but I can tell you that that man will follow you around like a puppy dog. If you’re not careful, he may even try to sleep at the foot of your bed.”

“But, I want to see slavery end, not perpetuate it.”

“Grant, the book of both of our people speaks of a bond servant. Sam is a bond servant, not a slave.”

“I suspect Kwan Jung Lin will be one also,” announced Su Lin Cai.

“Who is that?” asked a very perturbed Grant.

“My countryman whose life you saved.”

I saved?”

“He knows you are responsible for the death of his tormentor. He also knows that it was your people who set him free and brought him on board. He was suffering from malnutrition, dehydration, and a high fever. The fever was caused by a kidney infection and infected wounds on his feet, his back, and his legs. As far as he is concerned, you own him.”

“Just what I needed,” sighed an exasperated Grant.

“Actually, he may be just what you need,” answered Teng. “He’s a Shaolin priest.”

“Oh shit! Are you going to teach him English, too?”

Su giggled, and said, “I’ve already started.”

“I don’t understand what his oriental religion has to do with things,” said Victor.

His wife smiled, and said, “Grasshopper, your memory is weak. Think of the ‘Kung Fu’ western. Kwai Chang Caine was Shaolin.” The Admiral’s eyes almost doubled in size as he remembered the unique abilities the show seemed to display.

“But that was TV theatrics,” said Victor.

Teng responded, “In a way, but they had to tone down a true Shaolin’s capability to make the story believable by the public. And this time period is prior to the destruction and purges ordered by the Emperor. The strength and power of the Shaolin was legendary.”

“Then, how did he end up here on a leash?”

“When I asked him, he said, ‘to escape burning and death,’“ answered Su Lin. “I’m guessing he had a vision of the purges to come. He must have stowed away on a boat and by the time he reached this country, he was too sick to fight.”

Grant looked around the room, and was surprised how intently everyone was listening to the conversation, including the downtimers. There was some dynamic at work here, but he had no idea what it was. At the same time, some planning was needed for the immediate future. He felt, in his heart, he had to get these people and himself back to South Carolina as soon as possible. Well, he decided, there were some things that were givens, no matter what else was planned.

“Bea,” called Grant.

“I’m here,” she answered.

“What’s the situation on the Amanda Dear?”

“With Miss Barbara and Miss Tina’s help we got people to clean the boat and Beau and the others will be buried in the sound at sunrise tomorrow. Zeke and three of the uptimers have looked over the ship for needed repairs. I wasn’t sure what to do after that.”

“Could you gather a crew who would like to move to and be based in Charleston?”

“Doing what?”

“Most likely fishing and shrimping, though it may be in a different manner than what they’re used to.”

“What about families?”

“Bea, did you really need to ask that question? I thought you knew me better than that,”

“Sorry, but I knew I’d be asked by the men, as well as their wives.”

“Bea, not only will we take the wives and children, but as much of their furniture and family keepsakes as possible, and if there’s too much going to be left behind, we can send it to Charleston by wagon.”

Bea’s face brightened at the depth of Grant’s commitment, and said, “I’m sure that will assist me in finding the right crew. There are plenty of good men who would love to take their families and go elsewhere. Many of us sense an evil about this place since they built the Governor’s palace.”

“And do you still want to run a seamstress shop?”

“I do.”

“Good, as I suspect you will end up quite busy and I’ll be happy to be your silent partner. Now, back to your boat; besides a crew, we need at least a Captain and a First Mate.”

“Grant, there are not any here I’d trust.”

One of the uptimers said, “Commander Al Rogers, Sir. I’d enjoy serving as Captain on this voyage.”

Another spoke up with a strong Boston accent, “Midshipman Young, Sir. I grew up sailing around Cape Cod and Nantucket. I volunteer to serve as First Mate.”

“Commander Rogers.”

“Sir?”

“One of your first tasks on this voyage is to teach Ensign Young the dangers of volunteering in this man’s Navy.” The laughter generated by that little interaction did a nice job of preparing the group for what was to come.

“Commander Bradford,” Grant said in that same voice of command.

“Yes, Sir?”

“Pen and paper. I need you to take notes and make sure we haven’t overlooked anything. Also see if we’ve any white-boards and markers.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Admiral Gains.”

“Yes, Sir?”

“I know it sounds rather convoluted, but you’re my chief of staff.”

“Yes, Sir. Thank you, Sir.”

“Barbara Gains.”

Yes, Sir?”

“Until we reach my home and my wives you’re my uptime adviser and anchor.”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

“You forgot the, Sir,” Grant laughed. “It basically means you’ll keep me from doing something stupid and putting any of our uptime people in harm’s way needlessly.”

“Aye aye, Skipper,” Barbara responded with a happy smile. This was a dream job for her.

“Bea Booker.”

Bea grinned as she saluted, and said, “Yes, Sir?”

“You and the Marion Brothers are to have the same function concerning our downtimers. In addition, as some of these downtimers learn the truth I’ll need you to help communicate to them that they’re just as important to me as the uptimers. There may be differences in education and ability, but no other distinction is allowed. I’ll not have a situation where the downtimers feel that they’re second class citizens.”

“I’ll serve with pleasure, Sir.”

“I have additional things I’ll need your assistance with, but the most important involves getting clothes for our uptimers, including me.

“I can make the clothes,” Bea said a little defensively.

“I have no doubt you could, but could you make at least one outfit for everyone in just two days?”

“No, Sir. I understand. I know the best shops and all the key people. We can get it done.”

“Good, just figure how best to get this done and have at it. At the same time, try not to call attention to these people.”

“I can get some fabric samples and take everyone’s measurements. Then my friends can help match what we can, bring it here to try on and alter as needed.”

“That should work. Just tell us what to do.”

Turning to Ben, Grant said, “Ben, I need a home within two day’s ride of Philadelphia. It needs to be in or close to a small, secluded town off the main channel of the Delaware, and it needs fairly deep-water access. Any ideas?”

“Salem, New Jersey sounds like it might be ideal, and many of the people there are close friends. I can look into housing if you would like.”

“What would a home on the water cost?”

“You could almost buy the entire town for a hundred pounds.”

“Then I’ll give you some money to get me a place. I want to be able to bring my uptime boat up the river, hide it at the house and journey into Philadelphia to meet with you and others. You can communicate to me through Thomas Lynch at Hoopseewee Plantation. I don’t know if that’s Charleston or Georgetown, but either should reach me.”

“That would work, or you could send a message for us to meet you. Any letter sent to Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia should reach me.”

“I also want to know how you’re doing with your stove.”

“It works, but it’s too expensive for most people today. I’m not getting rich, but I’m not losing money.”

“I want to discuss it and other ideas with you after we get this British fleet taken care of. I think we can improve it, add features and make it cheaper. If we can, I’ll help finance the venture.”

“I’d welcome that.”

“With that, when can you head home?”

“In the morning.”

“Then I’d advise you to do just that, and I’d suggest keeping some loyal men around until we deal with King George.”

“What about me?” asked James Watt.

“I’d like you to come to Charleston with us, because I want to help you with your steam engine.”

“Such as?”

“How about making it more efficient, with less of a tendency to explode? I think we can use it to improve the quality of life and make workers more productive. I also want to use it to speed up common transportation, both on land and on the water.”

“Then, I’d be happy to come South with you.”

Grant asked the group, “Anything else we need to discuss or deal with concerning the next few days”

Barbara responded, “We’re going to need some supplies and some of them will be difficult, if not impossible to provide.”

“Such as?”

Fresh water, milk, Pampers, feminine products, and toilet tissue.”

“Aw Hell! And I thought finding a way to defeat an armada was difficult.”

“Grant, take off your engineer’s hat for a moment,” ordered a concerned Barbara, “and stop thinking that you have to solve every problem. Yes, we’ve needs, but I suspect you don’t have time to build factories, design equipment and produce any of those before we run out. At the same time, these needs are not unique to uptimers. The downtimers, including their children, have to drink and shit and their women have periods. We may miss the solutions we’re used to, but we’ll adapt. We know more about germs and sanitation, so we’ll make some adjustments and adapt. One of the things that make man the head of the food cycle is that we adapt, and we’ve been doing it since the beginning of time.”

“Okay,” responded Grant. “I think you more than adequately made your point. We need downtimers to help show us how things are done in this time, and we can adjust and adapt as necessary. My downtimer wife to be said I needed a valet to help me, and I wanted to brush it off. Now, I think I need to reevaluate that idea. We need people with years of experience, especially experience with dealing with wealthier, upper class plantation owners, politicians and businessmen. Does that make sense?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close