Mars Is My Destination - Cover

Mars Is My Destination

Public Domain

Chapter 5

There were twenty-five or thirty passengers wedged into the middle section of the train, all standing in slightly cramped postures and most of them unsmiling. I knew exactly how they felt. Not being able to get a seat in an off-hour in the evening can be irritating. But right at the moment there was no room in my mind for annoyance. A slow, hard-to-pin-down uneasiness was creeping over me again, as if a pendulum were swinging back and forth somewhere close to me, ticking out a warning in rhythm--and I couldn’t shut out the sound of it.

Just my over-strained nerves, of course. How could it have been anything else? I turned and looked at the man standing next to me. He was middle-aged, conservatively dressed, and had a square-jawed, rather handsome face, with a dusting of gray at his temples.

He was frowning slightly and his expression didn’t change when I broke the rule of silence which was customarily observed in the Underground.

“No reason for all the seats to be gone at this hour,” I said.

The crazy kind of over-exuberance mixed with peevishness that makes some people say things like that to total strangers a dozen times a day had always seemed inexcusable to me. But when you’re under tension you sometimes break all the habits of rational behavior you’ve imposed on yourself in small matters.

My excuse was that I simply wanted to test the firmness and steadiness of my own voice, to make sure that, deep down, I wasn’t nearly as apprehensive as I was beginning to feel.

“Yes, I know,” the gray-templed man agreed. “It burns me up a little too. But I guess it just can’t be helped at times. Operating an Underground this size must be an awful train-scheduling headache.”

“Headache or not,” I said. “There’s no excuse for it.”

He smiled abruptly, exposing large, white teeth and I noticed that there was something almost birdlike in the way his eyes lighted up. Small, black, very bright eyes they were, under short-lashed lids, and quite suddenly he made me think of a magpie alighting on a limb, taking off and alighting again, hardly able to restrain an impulse to chatter.

“What it boils down to,” he said, “is the old quarrel between a pedestrian and a man in a car. Neither can understand or sympathize with the other’s point of view. Fifteen million people ride this Underground every day and to them it’s a poor slob’s service at best. That’s because they feel themselves to be the victims, at the receiving end. But you’ve got to remember that safety precautions pose a problem. Avoiding accidents comes first and the New Chicago Transportation System, considering its colossal size, does pretty well in that respect.”

“People have been killed,” I said, and could have bitten my tongue out. Why let him even suspect that I was thinking about something that wasn’t tied in with his argument at all, why give him the slightest hint? The Underground’s accident record was good and couldn’t have justified such cynicism on my part. And just suppose he wasn’t the garrulous, middle-aged business man he appeared to be--

A very sinister game can start in just that way, with everything favoring the alerted party until he lets the other know that he’s on his guard and is having uneasy thoughts. That’s where the danger lies, in a subconscious betrayal, a slip of the tongue that will precipitate violence faster than it would ordinarily occur.

If a killer feels that he must move swiftly, before suspicion can become a certainty, the odds shift in his favor. He has the advantage of surprise. He becomes alerted too, and necessity acts as a goad--a kind of trigger-mechanism. He’ll act more quickly and decisively, without the careful planning that may prompt him to talk too much and give himself away.

He’ll take risks that are dangerous and could destroy him, strike with witnesses present and all escape routes blocked. If he has to, he’ll strike even in a crowded Underground train with the next station minutes away. And that kind of audacity sometimes pays off.

I told myself that I was imagining things, jumping to a completely unwarranted conclusion. The conversation of the man next to me was exactly what you’d expect from a magpie. He was carefully sidestepping all realistic appraisals of the Underground’s shortcomings, trying his best to look at the problem from all sides, even if it meant being shallow and over-optimistic. He was the citizen with a smiling face, the rather likeable guy--why should one hold it against him?--who was trying his best to be fair to everybody, even if he had to burst a blood-vessel doing it.

Realizing all that made me feel less tense and part of the nightmare feeling I’d been experiencing went away. But not quite all of it and when the train passed into an unlighted tunnel and the aisle went dark apprehension began to mount in me again.

What if he was putting on an act, and wasn’t the kind of man he appeared to be at all? What does a killer look like? Certainly age had nothing to do with it. He can be young or old--eighteen or seventy-five.

His appearance, his clothes? There were wild-eyed killers with “psycho” stamped all over them, and dignified, soberly-dressed men who looked no different from your next door neighbor and had criminal records a yard long, including, in all likelihood, a murder or two the Law would have a difficult time proving.

I didn’t have to speculate about it. I knew, because I’d done more than my share of social research. There was nothing to prevent a man of distinction from becoming a killer, if he had a secret life that was ugly and devious and a powerful enough motive.

But now he was talking again, despite the darkness, and I was listening with my nerves on edge. I was completely in the dark as to why something about him had set the alarm bells ringing but I was sure I could hear them, very faint and distant this time, but clearly enough. It was funny. Sometimes it meant something and sometimes it didn’t. I could feel that danger was hovering right at my elbow and in the end discover I’d been completely mistaken.

I hoped I was mistaken this time, but I knew there was a possibility--remote, perhaps, but dangerous to ignore--that the man who had set the small mechanical killer in motion by the Lakeside had followed me from the Administration Building into the Underground and was standing by my side.

“You take one of the really big power combines,” he was saying. “Like, say, Wendel Atomics. It has its defenders and detractors, and I daresay there are quite a few people who would be happy to see its Board of Directors behind bars. I’m not defending the Wendel monopoly, understand. If I was a Martian colonist I might feel quite differently about it. But you’ve got to remember that when you give the go-ahead signal for a project that big you’re asking fifty or a hundred key executives to do the impossible--or pretty close to the impossible.”

“The impossible?” I said, trying to sound no more than mildly interested, because I didn’t want him to suspect what a jolt his mention of Wendel Atomics had given me.

“Oh, yes,” he went on. “That’s what it boils down to. Every one of those men will be as human as you or I. They’ll react in highly individual ways to every problem that comes up, every frustration, every serious interference with their private lives. You’ve got to remember that a man’s private life is the most important thing in the world--to him personally. Every one of those fifty or a hundred men will have health worries, money worries, love life worries, every kind of worry you can think of. And on Mars worries can pile up.”

“So I’ve heard,” I said.

“Well, that’s all. That sums it up. I’m simply citing Wendel as an example of what the New Chicago Transportation System is up against. I’d say, in general, that most of the directors are doing their best, when the Old Adam in them isn’t in the driver’s seat, to keep the trains running on schedule.”

He stopped talking abruptly. I didn’t think anything of it for a moment, for a loquacious man will often pause in the middle of a conversation to wonder what kind of dent he’s been making on the party who’s doing most of the listening. But when a full minute passed and the darkness held, and he didn’t say a word, when I couldn’t even hear him breathing, I began to grow uneasy.

Reach out and touch him? Well, why not? It was the simplest, quickest way of finding out whether he was still at my side and he could hardly be offended if my hand grazed his elbow in a jostling motion that would seem accidental.

It was very strange. I didn’t think he was the man I’d feared he might be any longer, because of what he’d said, because he had brought Wendel Atomics into the conversation. If he’d had designs on my life giving his hand away like that would have been the height of folly. It would have been like giving me cards and spades, and a detailed history of his activities for the past five years.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close