The Master Key
Chapter 17: The Coast Of Oregon

Public Domain

When he had somewhat recovered, Rob sat up and looked around him. The elder sailor was kneeling in earnest prayer, offering grateful thanks for his escape from suffering and death. The younger one lay upon the ground sobbing and still violently agitated by recollections of the frightful experiences he had undergone. Although he did not show his feelings as plainly as the men, the boy was none the less gratified at having been instrumental in saving the lives of two fellow-beings.

The darkness was by this time rapidly enveloping them, so Rob asked his companions to gather some brushwood and light a fire, which they quickly did. The evening was cool for the time of year, and the heat from the fire was cheering and grateful; so they all lay near the glowing embers and fell fast asleep.

The sound of voices aroused Rob next morning, and on opening his eyes and gazing around he saw several rudely dressed men approaching. The two shipwrecked sailors were still sound asleep.

Rob stood up and waited for the strangers to draw near. They seemed to be fishermen, and were much surprised at finding three people asleep upon the bluff.

“Whar ‘n thunder’d ye come from?” asked the foremost fisherman, in a surprised voice.

“From the sea,” replied the boy. “My friends here are shipwrecked sailors from the ‘Cynthia Jane.’”

“But how’d ye make out to climb the bluff?” inquired a second fisherman; “no one ever did it afore, as we knows on.”

“Oh, that is a long story,” replied the boy, evasively.

The two sailors had awakened and now saluted the new-comers. Soon they were exchanging a running fire of questions and answers.

“Where are we?” Rob heard the little sailor ask.

“Coast of Oregon,” was the reply. “We’re about seven miles from Port Orford by land an’ about ten miles by sea.”

“Do you live at Port Orford?” inquired the sailor.

“That’s what we do, friend; an’ if your party wants to join us we’ll do our best to make you comf’table, bein’ as you’re shipwrecked an’ need help.”

Just then a loud laugh came from another group, where the elder sailor had been trying to explain Rob’s method of flying through the air.

“Laugh all you want to,” said the sailor, sullenly; “it’s true--ev’ry word of it!”

“Mebbe you think it, friend,” answered a big, good-natured fisherman; “but it’s well known that shipwrecked folks go crazy sometimes, an’ imagine strange things. Your mind seems clear enough in other ways, so I advise you to try and forget your dreams about flyin’.”

Rob now stepped forward and shook hands with the sailors.

“I see you have found friends,” he said to them, “so I will leave you and continue my journey, as I’m in something of a hurry.”

Both sailors began to thank him profusely for their rescue, but he cut them short.

“That’s all right. Of course I couldn’t leave you on that island to starve to death, and I’m glad I was able to bring you away with me.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close