Darkness and Dawn Book II: Beyond the Great Oblivion - Cover

Darkness and Dawn Book II: Beyond the Great Oblivion

Public Domain

Chapter 6: Trapped!

“That’s not the truth you’re telling me, Allan,” said Beatrice very gravely. “And if we don’t tell each other the whole truth always, how can we love each other perfectly and do the work we have to do? I don’t want you to spare me anything, even the most terrible things. That’s not the cry of a bird--it’s wolves!”

“Yes, that’s what it is,” the man admitted. “I was in the wrong. But, you see--it startled me at first. Don’t be alarmed, little girl! We’re well armed you see, and--”

“Are we going to stay here in the tower if they attack?”

“No. They might hold us prisoners for a week. There’s no telling how many there may be. Hundreds, perhaps thousands. Once they get the scent of game, they’ll gather for miles and miles around; from all over the island. So you see--”

“Our best plan, then, will be to make for the banca?”

“Assuredly! It’s only a matter of comparatively few minutes to reach it, and once we’re aboard, we’re safe. We can laugh at them and be on our homeward way at the same time. The quicker we start the better. Come on!”

“Come!” she repeated. And they made their second start after Stern had assured himself his automatic hung easily in reach and that the guns were loaded.

Together they took their way along the shadowy depths of the forest where once Twenty-Third Street had lain. Bravely and strongly the girl bore her half of the load as they broke through the undergrowth, clambered over fallen and rotten logs, or sank ankle-deep in mossy swales.

Even though they felt the danger, perhaps at that very moment slinking, sneaking, crawling nearer off there in the vague, darkling depths of the forest, they still sensed the splendid comradeship of the adventure. No longer as a toy, a chattel, an instrument of pleasure or amusement did the idea of woman now exist in the world. It had altered, grown higher, nobler, purer--it had become that of mate and equal, comrade, friend, the indissoluble other half of man.

Beatrice spoke.

“You mustn’t take more of the weight than I do, Allan,” she insisted, as they struggled onward with their burden. “Your wounded arm isn’t strong enough yet to--”

“S-h-h-h!” he cautioned. “We’ve got to keep as quiet as possible. Come on--the quicker we get these things aboard and push off the better! Everything depends on speed!”

But speed was hard to make. The way seemed terribly long, now that evening had closed in and they could no longer be exactly sure of their path. The cumbersome burden impeded them at every step. In the gloom they stumbled, tripped over vines and creepers, and became involved among the close-crowding boles.

Suddenly, once again the wolf-cry burst out, this time reechoed from another and another savage throat, wailing and plaintive and full of frightful portent.

So much nearer now it seemed that Beatrice and Allan both stopped short. Panting with their labors, they stood still, fear-smitten.

“They can’t be much farther off now than Thirty-Fifth Street,” the man exclaimed under his breath. “And we’re hardly past Second Avenue yet--and look at the infernal thickets and brush we’ve got to beat through to reach the river! Here, I’d better get my revolver ready and hold it in my free hand. Will you change over? I can take the bag in my left. I’ve got to have the right to shoot with!”

“Why not drop everything and run for the banca?”

“And desert the job? Leave all we came for? And maybe not be able to get any of the things for Heaven knows how long? I guess not!”

“But, Allan--”

“No, no! What? Abandon all our plans because of a few wolves? Let ‘em come! We’ll show ‘em a thing or two!”

“Give me the revolver, then--you can have the rifle!”

“That’s right--here!”

Each now with a firearm in the free hand, they started forward again. On and on they lunged, they wallowed through the forest, half carrying, half dragging the sack which now seemed to have grown ten times heavier and which at every moment caught on bushes, on limbs and among the dense undergrowth.

“Oh, look--look there!” cried Beatrice. She stopped short again, pointing the revolver, her finger on the trigger.

Allan saw a lean, gray form, furtive and sneaking, slide across a dim open space off toward the left, a space where once First Avenue had cut through the city from south to north.

“There’s another!” he whispered, a strange, choked feeling all around his heart. “And look--three more! They’re working in ahead of us. Here, I’ll have a shot at ‘em, for luck!”

A howl followed the second spurt of flame in the dusk. One of the gray, gaunt portents of death licked, yapping, at his flank.

“Got you, all right!” gibed Stern. “The kind o’ game you’re after isn’t as easy as you think, you devils!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close