Master of Life and Death - Cover

Master of Life and Death

Public Domain

Chapter 13

The bright light of the video cameras flooded the room. Percy had done a good job; there was a representative from every network, every telefax, every blare of any sort at all. The media had been corralled. Walton’s words would echo round the world.

He was seated behind his desk--seated, because he could shape his words more forcefully that way, and also because he was terribly tired. He smiled into the battery of cameras.

“Good evening,” he said. “I’m Roy Walton, speaking to you from the offices of the Bureau of Population Equalization. I’ve been director of Popeek for a little less than a week, now, and I’d like to make a report--a progress report, so to speak.

“We of Popeek regard ourselves as holding a mandate from you, the people. After all, it was the world-wide referendum last year that enabled the United Nations to put us into business. And I want to tell you how the work of Popeek is going.

“Our aim is to provide breathing space for human beings. The world is vastly overcrowded, with its seven billion people. Popeek’s job is to ease that overcrowdedness, to equalize the population masses of the world so that the empty portions of the globe are filled up and the extremely overcrowded places thinned out a little. But this is only part of our job--the short-range, temporary part. We’re planning for the future here. We know we can’t keep shifting population from place to place on Earth; it won’t work forever. Eventually every square inch is going to be covered, and then where do we go?

“You know the answer. We go out. We reach for the stars. At present we have spaceships that can take us to the planets, but the planets aren’t suitable for human life. All right, we’ll make them suitable! At this very moment a team of engineers is on Venus, in that hot, dry, formaldehyde atmosphere, struggling to turn Venus into a world fit for oxygen-breathing human beings. They’ll do it, too--and when they’re done with Venus they’ll move on to Mars, to the Moon, perhaps to the big satellites of Jupiter and Saturn too. There’ll be a day when the solar system will be habitable from Mercury to Pluto--we hope.”

“But even that is short-range,” Walton said pointedly. “There’ll be a day--it may be a hundred years from now, or a thousand, or ten thousand--when the entire solar system will be as crowded with humanity as Earth is today. We have to plan for that day, too. It’s the lack of planning on the part of our ancestors that’s made things so hard for us. We of Popeek don’t want to repeat the tragic mistakes of the past.

“My predecessor, the late Director FitzMaugham, was aware of this problem. He succeeded in gathering a group of scientists and technicians who developed a super space drive, a faster-than-light ship that can travel to the stars virtually instantaneously, instead of taking years to make the trip as our present ships would.

“The ship was built and sent out on an exploratory mission. Director FitzMaugham chose to keep this fact a secret. He was afraid of arousing false hopes in case the expedition should be a failure.

“The expedition was not a failure! Colonel Leslie McLeod and his men discovered a planet similar to Earth in the system of the star Procyon. I have seen photographs of New Earth, as they have named it, and I can tell you that it is a lovely planet ... and one that will be receptive to our pioneers.”

Walton paused a moment before launching into the main subject of his talk.

“Unfortunately, there is a race of intelligent beings living on a neighboring planet of this world. Perhaps you have seen the misleading and inaccurate reports blared today to the effect that these people refuse to allow Earth to colonize in their system. Some of you have cried out for immediate war against these people, the Dirnans.

“I must confirm part of the story the telefax carried today: the Dirnans are definitely not anxious to have Earth set up a colony on a world adjoining theirs. We are strangers to them, and their reaction is understandable. After all, suppose a race of strange-looking creatures landed on Mars, and proceeded with wholesale colonization of our neighboring world? We’d be uneasy, to say the least.

“And so the Dirnans are uneasy. However, I’ve summoned a Dirnan ambassador--our first diplomatic contact with intelligent alien creatures!--and I hope he’ll be on Earth shortly. I plan to convince him that we’re peaceful, neighborly people, and that it will be to our mutual benefit to allow Earth colonization in the Procyon system.

“I’m going to need your help. If, while our alien guest is here, he discovers that some misguided Earthmen are demanding war with Dirna, he’s certainly not going to think of us as particularly desirable neighbors to welcome with open arms. I want to stress the importance of this. Sure, we can go to war with Dirna for possession of Procyon VIII. But why spread wholesale destruction on two worlds when we can probably achieve our goal peacefully?

“That’s all I have to say tonight, people of the world. I hope you’ll think about what I’ve told you. Popeek works twenty-four hours a day in your behalf, but we need your full cooperation if we’re going to achieve our aims and bring humanity to its full maturity. Thank you.”


The floodlights winked out suddenly, leaving Walton momentarily blinded. When he opened his eyes again he saw the cameramen moving their bulky apparatus out of the office quickly and efficiently. The regular programs had returned to the channels--the vapid dancing and joke-making, the terror shows, the kaleidowhirls.

Now that it was over, now that the tension was broken, Walton experienced a moment of bitter disillusionment. He had had high hopes for his speech, but had he really put it over? He wasn’t sure.

He glanced up. Lee Percy stood over him.

“Roy, can I say something?” Percy said diffidently.

“Go ahead,” Walton said.

“I don’t know how many millions I forked over to put you on the media tonight, but I know one thing--we threw a hell of a lot of money away.”

Walton sighed wearily. “Why do you say that?”

“That speech of yours,” Percy said, “was the speech of an amateur. You ought to let pros handle the big spiels, Roy.”

“I thought you liked the impromptu thing I did when they mobbed that Herschelite. How come no go tonight?”

Percy shook his head. “The speech you made outside the building was different. It had emotion; it had punch! But tonight you didn’t come across at all.”

“No?”

“I’d put money behind it.” Acidly Percy said, “You can’t win the public opinion by being reasonable. You gave a nice smooth speech. Bland ... folksy. You laid everything on the line where they could see it.”

“And that’s wrong, is it?” Walton closed his eyes for a moment. “Why?

“Because they won’t listen! You gave them a sermon when you should have been punching at them! Sweet reason! You can’t be sweet if you want to sell your product to seven billion morons!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close