Stand by for Mars! - Cover

Stand by for Mars!

Public Domain

Chapter 13

Polaris to Commander Walters at Space Academy--Come in, Commander Walters!” Captain Strong’s voice was urgent in the teleceiver.

“Just worked up an assumed position on the Lady Venus,” said Roger over the intercom. “I think she’s bearing about seventeen degrees to port of us, and about one-twenty-eight on the down-plane of the ecliptic.”

“O.K., Roger,” said Tom. “Captain Strong’s trying to reach Commander Walters now.” He made a quick mental calculation. “Golly, Roger--if you’ve figured it right, we’re closer to the Lady Venus than anyone else!”

The teleceiver audio crackled.

“Commander Walters at Space Academy to Captain Strong on the Polaris. Come in, Steve!”

“Commander!” Strong’s voice sounded relieved. “Did you get that emergency from the Lady Venus--the S O S?”

“Yes, we did, Steve,” said the commander. “How far away from her are you?”

Without a word, Tom handed Strong the position that Roger had computed. Strong relayed the information to the commander.

“If you’re that close, go to her aid in the Polaris. You’re nearer than any Solar Guard patrol ship and you can do just as much.”

“Right, sir,” replied Steve. “I’ll report as soon as I get any news. End transmission!”

“Spaceman’s luck, end transmission!” said the commander.

“Have you got a course for us, Roger?” asked Strong.

“Yes, sir!”

“Then let’s get out of here. I have a feeling there’s something more than just the usual emergency attached to that S O S from the Lady Venus.”

In twenty seconds the mighty cruiser was blasting through space to the aid of the stricken passenger ship.

“Better get the emergency equipment ready, Tom,” said Strong. “Space suits for the four of us and every spare space suit you have on the ship. Never can tell what we might run into. Also the first-aid surgical kit and every spare oxygen bottle. Oh, yeah, and have Astro get both jet boats ready to blast off immediately. I’ll keep trying to pick them up again on the teleceiver.”

“Yes, sir,” replied Tom sharply.

“What’s going on up there?” asked Astro, when Tom had relayed the orders from Captain Strong. Tom quickly told him of the emergency signal from the Lady Venus.

Lady--Venus--“ said the big cadet, rolling the name on his tongue, “I know her. She’s one of the Martian City--Venusport jobs--an old-timer. Converted from a chemical burner to atomic reaction about three years ago!”

“Any ideas what the trouble might be?” asked Tom.

“I don’t know,” replied Astro. “There are a hundred and fifty things that could go wrong--even on this wagon and she’s brand new. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was on the power deck!”

“And what makes you think so?” asked Tom.

“I knew a spaceman once that was on a converted tub just like the Lady Venus and he had trouble with the reaction chamber.”

“Wow!” exclaimed Tom. “Let’s hope it isn’t that now!”

“You can say that again,” said Astro grimly. “When this stuff gets out of control, there’s very little you can do with it, except leave it alone and pile out!”

The Polaris, rocketing through space at full space speed, plunged like a silver bullet through the vastness of the black void, heading for what Strong hoped to be the Lady Venus. Tom prepared the emergency equipment, doubling all the reserves on the oxygen bottles by refilling the empties he found on the ship and making sure that all space suits were in perfect working order. Then he opened the emergency surgical kit and began the laborious task of examining every vial and drug in the kit to acquaint himself with what there was to work with just in case. He brought all the stores of jelly out for radiation burns and finally opened a bottle of special sterilization liquid with which to wipe all the instruments and vials clean. He checked the contents of the kit once more, and, satisfied that everything was as ready as he could make it, he went up to the control deck.

“Any other message from them yet, sir?” asked Tom.

“Nothing yet,” answered Strong. “If I could pick them up on the teleceiver, maybe they could tell us what the trouble is and then we could more or less be prepared to help them.” He bent over the teleceiver screen and added grimly, “If there is anything left to help!”

“Radar deck to control deck!” Roger’s voice was tense. “I think I’ve picked them up on the radar scanner, Captain Strong!”

“Relay it down here to control-deck scanner, Manning,” ordered Strong.

“Ummmh!” murmured the captain when the screen began to glow. “I’m pretty sure that’s her. Here’s that assumed position Roger worked up, Tom. Check it against this one here on the scanner.”

Tom quickly computed the position of the object on the scanner and compared it to the position Roger had given them previously.

“If Roger’s positioning was correct, sir,” said Tom, “then that’s the Lady Venus. They both check out perfectly!”

Strong, bent over the radar scanner, didn’t answer. Finally he turned around and flipped off the scanner. “That’s her,” he announced. “Congratulations, Roger. You hit it right on the nose!”

“How shall we approach her, sir?” asked Tom.

“We’d better wait until she sends up her flares.”

“You mean the identification flares for safety factors?”

“That’s right,” replied Strong. “A white flare means it’s all right to come alongside and couple air locks. A red one means to stand off and wait for instructions.” Strong turned to the intercom.

“Control deck to power deck. Reduce thrust to one quarter space speed!”

“Power deck, aye,” answered Astro.

“We’ll wait until we’re about two miles away from her and then use our braking jets in the bow of the ship to bring us within a few thousand feet of her,” commented Strong.

“Yes, sir,” said Tom.

“Work up an estimated range, Roger,” said Strong, “and give me a distance on our approach.”

“Aye, aye, sir,” Roger replied. “Objective four miles away now, sir.”

“When we hit three miles,” said Strong to Tom, “have Astro stand by the forward braking jets.”

“Aye, sir,” said Tom.

“Three-and-a-half miles,” said Roger a few moments later. “Closing in fast. Lady Venus looks like a dead ship.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close