Stand by for Mars! - Cover

Stand by for Mars!

Public Domain

Chapter 19

“Tom--Roger!” shouted Astro. “I think I’ve got it!”

Astro, on his knees, pulled a long file blade away from the hatch and jumped to his feet.

“Did you cut all the way through?” asked Tom.

“I don’t know--at least I’m not sure,” Astro replied, looking down at the hole he had made in the hatch. “But let’s give it a try!”

“Think we can force it back enough to get a good hold on it?” asked Roger.

“We’ll know in a minute, Roger,” said Astro. “Get that steel bar over there and I’ll try to slip it in between the hatch and the bulkhead.”

Roger rummaged around in the jumble of broken parts and tools on the opposite side of the power deck and found the steel bar Astro wanted. After several attempts to force the hatch open had proven futile, Tom suggested that they try to file the hinges off the hatch, and then attempt to slide it sideways. After much effort, and working in shifts, they had filed through the three hinges, and now were ready to make a last desperate attempt to escape. Astro took the steel bar from Roger and jammed it between the bulkhead wall and the hatch.

“No telling what we’ll find on the other side,” said Astro. “If the sand has covered up the ship all the way down to here, then we’ll never get out!”

“Couldn’t we tunnel through it to the top, if it has filled the ship down as far as here?” asked Roger.

“Not through this stuff,” said Tom. “It’s just like powder.”

“Tom’s right,” said Astro. “As soon as you dig into it, it’ll fall right back in on you.” He paused and looked at the hatch thoughtfully. “No. The only way we can get out of here is if the sand was only blown into the deck outside and hasn’t filled the rest of the ship.”

“Only one way to find out,” said Tom.

“Yeah,” agreed Roger. “Let’s get that hatch shoved aside and take a look.”

Astro jammed the heavy steel bar farther into the space between the hatch and the bulkhead, and then turned back to his unit-mates.

“Get that piece of pipe over there,” he said. “We’ll slip it over the end of the bar and that’ll give us more leverage.”

Tom and Roger scrambled after the length of pipe, slipped it over the end of the bar, and then, holding it at either end, began to apply even pressure against the hatch.

Gradually, a half inch at a time, the heavy steel hatch began to move sideways, sliding out and behind the bulkhead. And as the opening grew larger the fine powderlike sand began to fall into the power deck.

“Let’s move it back about a foot and a half,” said Tom. “That’ll give us plenty of room to get through and see what’s on the other side.”

Astro and Roger nodded in agreement.

Once more the three boys exerted their strength against the pipe and applied pressure to the hatch. Slowly, grudgingly it moved back, until there was an eighteen-inch opening, exposing a solid wall of the desert sand. Suddenly, as if released by a hidden switch, the sand began to pour into the power deck.

“Watch out!” shouted Tom. The three boys jumped back and looked on in dismay as the sand came rushing through the opening. Gradually it slowed to a stop and the pile in front of the opening rose as high as the hatch itself.

“That does it,” said Tom. “Now we’ve got to dig through and find out how deep that stuff is. And spacemen, between you and me, I hope it doesn’t prove too deep!”

“I’ve been thinking, Tom,” said Roger, “suppose it’s as high as the upper decks outside? All we have to do is keep digging it out and spreading it around the power deck here until we can get through.”

“Only one thing wrong with that idea, Roger,” said Tom. “If the whole upper part of the ship is flooded with that stuff, we won’t have enough room to spread it around.”

“We could always open the reaction chamber and fill that,” suggested Astro, indicating the hatch in the floor of the power deck that lead to the reactant chamber.

“I’d just as soon take my chances with sand,” said Roger, “as risk opening that hatch. The chamber is still hot from the wildcatting reaction mass we had to dump back in space.”

“Well, then, let’s start digging,” said Tom. He picked up an empty grease bucket and began filling it with sand.

“You two get busy loading them, and I’ll dump,” said Astro.

“O.K.,” replied Tom and continued digging into the sand with his hands.

“Here, use this, Tom,” said Roger, offering an empty Martian water container.

Slowly, the three cadets worked their way through the pile on the deck in front of the hatch opening and then started on the main pile in the opening itself. But as soon as they made a little progress on the main pile, the sand would fall right in again from the open hatch, and after two hours of steady work, the sand in front of the hatch still filled the entire opening. Their work had been all for nothing. They sat down for a rest.

“Let’s try it a little higher up, Tom,” suggested Roger. “Maybe this stuff isn’t as deep as we think.”

Tom nodded and stepped up, feeling around the top of the opening. He began clawing at the sand overhead. The sand still came pouring through the opening.

“See anything?” asked Astro.

“I--don’t--know--” spluttered Tom as the sand slid down burying him to his waist.

“Better back up, Tom,” warned Roger. “Might be a cave-in and you’ll get buried.”

“Wait a minute!” shouted Tom. “I think I see something!”

“A light?” asked Astro eagerly.

“Careful, Tom,” warned Roger again.

Tom clawed at the top of the pile, ignoring the sand that was heaped around him.

“I’ve got it,” shouted Tom, struggling back into the power deck just in time to avoid being buried under a sudden avalanche. “There’s another hatch up there, just behind the ladder that leads into the passenger lounge. That’s the side facing the storm! And as soon as we dig a little, the sand falls from that pile. But the opposite side, leading to the jet-boat deck, is free and clear!”

“Then all we have to do is force our way through to the top,” said Astro.

“That’s all,” said Tom. “We’d be here until doomsday digging our way clear.”

“I get it!” said Roger. “The storm filled up the side of the ship facing that way, and that is where the passenger lounge is. I remember now. I left the hatch open when we came down here to the power deck, so the sand just kept pouring in.” He smiled sheepishly. “I guess it’s all my fault.”

“Never mind that now!” said Tom. “Take this hose and stick it in your mouth, Astro. Breath through your mouth and plug up your nose so you won’t get it all stopped up with sand while you pull your way through.”

“I’ll take this rope with me too,” said Astro. “That way I can help pull you guys up after me.”

“Good idea,” said Roger.

“As soon as you get outside the hatch here,” said Tom, “turn back this way. Keep your face up against the bulkhead until you get to the top. Right above you is the ladder. You can grab it to pull yourself up.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close