Quest of the Golden Ape
Chapter 2: The Great Clock of Tarth

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

The Plains of Ofrid on the planet Tarth stretched flat and monotonous as far as the eye could reach, a gently waving ocean of soft, knee-high grass where herds of wild stads grazed and bright-hued birds vied in brilliance with the flaming sun.

From the dark Abarian Forests to the Ice Fields of Nadia, the plain stretched unbroken except for the tall, gray tower in its exact center and it was toward this tower that various groups of Tarthans were now moving.

Every nation on the planet was represented in greater or lesser number. The slim, erect Nadians in their flat-bottomed air cars that could hang motionless in space or skim the surface of the planet at a thousand jeks an hour. The grim-faced Abarians, tall and finely muscled on their powerful stads, their jeweled uniforms flashing back the glory of the heavens. The Utalians, those chameleon men of Tarth, their skins now the exact color of the grasses across which they rode, thus causing their stads to appear unmounted and unguided.

All the nations of Tarth were represented, drawn toward the tower by a century-old legend, a legend which Retoc the Abarian clarified as he rode at the head of his own proud group.

He waved a hand, indicating the vast plain and spoke to Hultax, his second in command, saying, “Little would one think that this flat, empty land was once the site of a vast and powerful nation. One of the greatest upon all Tarth!” A smile of cruelty and satisfaction played upon his handsome features as he surveyed the plain.

“Aye,” Hultax replied. “The realm of the Ofridians. Truly they were a great nation.”

“But we Abarians were greater,” Retoc snapped. “We not only defeated them but we leveled their land until not one stone stood upon another.”

“All save the tower,” Hultax said. “No weapon known could so much as scratch its surface.”


A new voice cut in. “Quite true. Portox’s scientific skill was too great for you.” Both Abarians turned quickly to scowl at the newcomer, Bontarc of Nadia, who had swung close in his one-man car and was hovering by their side.

Retoc’s hand moved toward the hilt of his long whip-like sword, driven there by the look of contempt in Bontarc’s eyes. But Retoc hesitated. A formidable squadron of Bontarc’s Nadian fighting men hovered nearby and the Abarian had no taste for a battle in which the odds were close to even.

“We defeated the Ofridians fairly,” he said.

“And slaughtered them fairly? Cut down the men and women and children alike until the entire nation was obliterated?”

The systematic annihilation had taken place a century before when Bontarc had been but a child and Retoc a young man. Karnod, Retoc’s father, now dead, had planned the war that defeated the Ofridians, his winning card having been spies in the court of Evalla, Queen of Ofrid. Karnod had been fatally wounded during the last battle and had delegated to his son the task of annihilating the Ofridians and levelling their nation. This task, Retoc accepted with relish, reserving for himself the pleasure of slaying Queen Evalla. Details of the torture to which Retoc subjected the beautiful Evalla were whispered over the planet and it was said the sadistic Retoc had taken photographs of the Queen in her agony to enjoy in later years.

It had been the scientific ability of Portox of Ofrid that had engendered the Abarian hatred and jealousy in the first place. Portox used his science for the good of all on the planet Tarth, but when Karnod, Lord of Abaria, struck, no other nation came to Ofrid’s aid. Then it was too late, because Abaria’s military might greatened as a result of the Ofridian defeat and only an alliance of all other nations could have conquered them.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close