Danger in Deep Space
Chapter 16

Public Domain

“Well, fellows,” said Tom, stifling a yawn, “it looks like we did it. But I could use some more sleep. That five hours was just enough to get started on!”

“Yeah,” agreed Roger sourly, “but where does this Venusian lummox get off grabbing all the credit.” He looked at Astro. “If I hadn’t built the fuses for your little firecrackers--”

Firecrackers!“ yelped Astro. “Why, you skinny space fake! If I hadn’t built those nuclear reactors, you wouldn’t have anything to set off!”

Connel appeared in the small messroom of the Polaris, his hands full of papers and drawings. “When you’ve finished congratulating each other, I’d like to say a few things!” he snapped.

“Congratulate him?” exclaimed Roger. “Skipper, his head’s so thick, the noise on the power deck can’t even reach his eardrums!”

“Just one more word, Manning,” growled Astro, “and I’ll take a deep breath and blow you away!”

One more word out of either of you,” roared Connel, “and I’ll throw you both in the brig with Mason and Loring!”

Suddenly he glared at the five spacemen. “Who’s on prisoner watch today?” he asked.

The four cadets and Mr. Shinny looked at each other then at Roger.

“Uhhh--I am, sir,” Roger confessed.

“I had a sneaking suspicion you would be!” said Connel. “Cadet Manning, one of the first things an officer of the Solar Guard learns is to care for the needs of his men and prisoners before himself. Did you know that, Cadet Manning?”

“Uhhh--yes, sir. I was just going to--” mumbled Roger.

“Then go below and see that Mason and Loring get their rations!”

“Yes, sir,” said Roger. He got up and collected a tray of food.

“All of you report to the control deck in five minutes for briefing,” said Connel and followed Roger out of the door.

“How do you like that?” said Astro. “We break our backs for the guy and we’re no sooner finished then he starts the old routine again!”

“That has nothing to do with it, Astro,” said Tom. “Put yourself in his position. We’ve only got one or two things to think about. He’s responsible for it all.”

“Just like he was when I sailed with him twenty-five years ago,” said Shinny. He swallowed the remains of his tea and reached for a plug of tobacco. “He’s all spaceman from the top of his head to the bottom of his space boots.”

“I’m rather inclined to agree with you, Tom,” said Alfie mildly. “Leadership carries with it the greatest of all burdens--responsibility for other peoples’ lives. You, Corbett, as a control-deck cadet, would do well to mark Major Connel’s pattern of behavior.”

“Listen,” growled Astro, “if Tom ever turned out to be a rocket buster like Connel--I’d--I’d--”

“Don’t worry, Astro,” Tom said, laughing. “I don’t think there’ll be another Major Connel in a million light years!”

Shinny laughed silently, his small frame shaking slightly. “Say it again, Tommy. Not in the whole universe will there ever be another like old ‘Blast-off’ Connel!”

On the deck below the messroom, Roger, balancing a tray carefully on one hand, opened the electronic lock of the brig and then stepped back quickly, leveling a paralo-ray gun.

“All right, Mason, Loring,” he yelled, “come and get it!” The door slid open, and Loring stuck his head out. “Any funny business,” Roger warned, “and I’ll stiffen you so fast, you won’t know what hit you!”

“It’s about time you showed up!” growled Loring. “Whaddaya trying to do, starve us to death?”

“That’s not a bad idea!” said Roger. Loring took the tray. Roger motioned him back inside the brig and slammed the door shut. He locked it and leaned against the grille.

“Better eat it while you can,” he said. “They don’t serve it so fancy on a prison asteroid.”

“You’ll never get us on a prison asteroid,” whined Mason.

“Don’t kid yourself,” said Roger. “As soon as we get the reactor units set, we’re going to send this hunk of copper back to Earth and then take you back. They’ll bury you!”

“Who’s going to do all that?” snapped Loring. “A bunch of punk kids and a loudmouthed Solar Guard officer?”

“Yeah,” retorted Roger.

Cadet Manning!“ Connel’s voice roared over the intercom. “You were ordered to report to the control deck in five minutes! You are already one minute late! Report to the control deck on the double and _I mean double!_”

Loring and Mason laughed. “Old ‘Blast-off’ Connel’s really got your number, eh, kid?”

“Ah, rocket off, you pinheaded piece of space junk! It didn’t take him long to dampen your tubes!”

Connel roared again. “Blast your hide, Manning, report!

“Better raise ship, Manning,” said Loring, “you might get another nasty demerit!”

Roger turned away and raced to the control deck. He entered breathlessly and stood beside his unit-mates while Connel eyed him coldly.

“Thank you, Cadet Manning,” said Connel. “We appreciate your being here!”

“Yes, sir,” mumbled Roger.

“All right,” barked Connel, “you know your assignments. We’ll take the jet boats as before and go out in pairs. Tom and myself, Astro and Roger, and Shinny and Alfie. We’ll set up the reaction charges on Junior at the points marked on the chart screen here.” He indicated the chart on the projection. “Copy them down on your own charts. Each team will take three of the reaction units. My team will set up at points one, two, and three. Astro and Roger at four, five, and six. Alfie and Shinny at seven, eight, and nine. After you’ve set up the charges, attach the triggers for the fuses and return to the ship. Watch your timing! If we fail, it’ll be more than a year before Junior will be in the same orbital position again. How much time do we have left, Corbett?”

Tom glanced at the clock. “Exactly two hours, sir,” he said.

“Not much,” said Connel, “but enough. It shouldn’t take more than an hour and a half to set up the units and get back to the ship to blast off. All clear? Any questions?”

There were no questions.

“All right,” said the officer, “put on your space gear and move out!”

Handling the lead-encased charges carefully, the six spacemen loaded the jet boats and, one by one, blasted off from the Polaris to positions marked on the map.

Working rapidly, each of the teams of two moved from one position to another on the surface of the desolate satellite. Connel, referring constantly to his watch, counted the minutes as one by one the teams reported the installation of a reactor unit.

“This is Shinny. Just finished installing reaction charge one at point seven...”

“This is Manning. Just finished installing reaction charge at point four...”

One after the other, the teams reported. Connel, with Tom piloting the jet boat, finished setting up their units at points one, two, and three and headed back to the Polaris.

“How much time, sir?” asked Tom as he slowed the small craft for a landing.

“Less than a half hour, Corbett,” said Connel nervously. “I’d better check on Shinny and Alfie.” He called into the audiophone. “Major Connel to Shinny and Higgins, come in Shinny--Higgins!”

“Shinny here!” came the reply. “We’re just finishing up the last unit. Should be back in five minutes.”

“Make it snappy!” said Connel. “Less than a half hour left!”

“We’ll make it,” snorted Shinny.

“Coming in for a touchdown,” said Tom. “Better strap in, sir!”

Connel nodded. He laced several straps across his lap and chest, gripping the sides of the seat. Tom sent the jet boat in a swooping dive, cut the acceleration, and brought the small ship smoothly inside the huge air lock in the side of the Polaris.

“I’d better get right up on the control deck and start warming up the circuits, sir,” said Tom.

“Good idea, Tom,” said Connel. “I’ll try and pick up Manning and Astro.”

Tom left the officer huddling over the communicator in the jet boat.

“Major Connel to Manning and Astro, come in!” called Connel. He waited for a moment and then repeated. “Manning--Astro, come in! By the rings of Saturn, come in!” There was the loud roar of an approaching jet boat. Shinny guided the ship into the Polaris with a quick violent blast of the braking rockets. The noise was deafening.

“Belay that noise, you blasted space-brained idiot!” roared Connel. “Cut that acceleration!”

Shinny grinned and cut the rockets. The jet-boat catapult deck was quiet, and Connel turned back to the communicator.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close