Danger in Deep Space - Cover

Danger in Deep Space

Public Domain

Chapter 18

Dawn broke over the tangled jungles of Tara, followed by the bright sun of Alpha Centauri rising out of the eastern sea and slowly climbing higher and higher. In the dense unexplored wilderness, living things, terrible things, opened their eyes and resumed their never-ending quest for food. Once again Alpha Centauri had summoned one hemisphere of its satellite planet to life.

Meanwhile, high in the heavens above Tara, six Earthmen blasted into the flaming brilliance of the sun star. Using delicate instruments instead of claws, and their intelligence instead of blind hunger, they prepared to do battle with the sun star and force it to release the precious copper satellite from its deadly, consuming grasp.

The crew of the Polaris assembled on the control deck of the great spaceship, and facing their commanding officer, waited patiently for the word that would send them hurtling out to their target.

“The jet boats are all ready, sir,” reported Tom. “We’re dead ship in orbit around Junior at an altitude of about three hundred miles.”

“Does that mean we’re falling into the sun too?” gasped Shinny.

“It sure does, Mr. Shinny,” said Alfie, “at more than twenty miles per second.”

“The jet boats have enough power to get back from Junior to the Polaris, Mr. Shinny,” reassured Tom. “And then the Polaris can blast off from here. The jet boats wouldn’t go much higher off Junior this close to the sun.”

“But if we go beyond the two-hour limit, the Polaris can’t blast off either,” commented Roger dryly.

“All right. Is everything set?” asked Connel. “Astro, is the reactant loaded?”

“No, sir,” said Astro, “but it’s all ready to go in.”

“Good!” said Connel. “Now we all know how important--and how dangerous--this operation is. I don’t have to tell you again. You stay here on the control deck, Tom, and keep in touch with us on Junior at all times. You know what to do?”

“Yes, sir,” replied Tom. “I’m to stand by and give you a minute-by-minute warning check until final blast-off time.”

“Right,” said Connel. “And remember, we’re counting on you to tell us when to blast off. We’ll be too busy down there to pay any attention.”

“I understand, sir,” replied Tom. His face was passive. He was well aware of the responsibility.

“Very well,” said Connel finally, “the rest of you board your jet boats! This is going to be the hottest ride we’ll ever take, and I don’t want it to get any hotter!”

Silently, their faces grim masks, the five spacemen filed out of the control room, leaving Tom alone. Presently he heard the cough of the rockets in the jet boats as one by one the small space craft blasted out of the Polaris. Suddenly Tom began to shake as he realized the importance of his task--the responsibility of counting time for five men, time that could cost them their lives. If he made a single mistake, miscounted by a minute, the expedition to Junior would end not only in failure, but in tragedy.

As quickly as the thought came, Tom pushed it aside and turned to the control board. No time now for fear. Now, more than any other time in his life, he had to keep himself alert and ready for every emergency. As a child he had often dreamed of the day when, as a spaceman, he would be faced with an emergency only he could handle. And in the dreams he had come through with flying colors. But now that it was a reality, Tom felt nothing but cold sweat breaking out on his forehead.

He turned his whole attention to the great solar clock overhead. Time had already begun slipping away. Ten minutes of the two hours had swept past. They must be on Junior by now, he thought, and flipped on the teleceiver. He focused on the satellite’s surface. There in front of him were the three jet boats. Major Connel, Roger, Astro, Alfie, and Mr. Shinny were so close that Tom felt as though he could touch them. They were unloading the first reactor unit, with Astro and Shinny digging the hole. Tom glanced at the clock, turned to the microphone, and announced clearly:

“Attention! Attention! Corbett to Connel. One hour and forty-eight minutes until blast-off time--one hour and forty-eight minutes to blast-off.”

He flipped the switch and watched the screen with rising excitement. The crew on the satellite had completed the installation of the first reactor unit. He saw them blasting off in their jet boats for the second spot. He adjusted the teleceiver and tried to follow them, but they disappeared. He glanced at the clock.

“Attention! Attention! Corbett to Connel. One hour and forty-seven minutes to blast-off--one hour and forty-seven minutes to blast-off.”

On the satellite, in the deep shadow of a protecting cliff, each of the five Earthmen paused involuntarily when they heard Tom’s warning.

“Forget about the time!” snapped Connel. “By the blessed rings of Saturn, we’ll finish this job if it’s the last thing we do!”

Connel went to each of the working figures and adjusted the valve, regulating the air-cooling humidity control on their space suits. “Getting pretty hot, eh, boys?” he joked, as he stopped one and then the other to make the delicate adjustment counteracting the heat that was increasing each second they remained on the satellite.

“How hot do you think it is, sir?” asked Roger.

“Never mind the heat,” said Connel. “These suits were designed to withstand the temperature of the light side of Mercury! It gets boiling there, so I guess we can stand it here for a while.”

One by one, Alfie, Shinny, Roger, and Astro completed their assigned roles, digging the holes, placing the reactors inside, setting the fuse, covering it up, then quickly gathering the equipment, piling back into the three jet boats, and heading for the next point. Landing, they would tumble out of the small space craft almost before the rocket had stopped firing and begin their frantic digging in the hard surface.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close