A Crystal Age - Cover

A Crystal Age

Public Domain

Chapter 6

The reading went on, not of course “for ever,” like that harvest melody he spoke of, but for a considerable time. The words, I concluded, were for the initiated, and not for me, and after a while I gave up trying to make out what it was all about. Those last expressions I have quoted about the “august Mother of the house” were unintelligible, and appeared to me meaningless. I had already come to the conclusion that however many of the ladies of the establishment might have experienced the pleasures and pains of maternity, there was really no mother of the house in the sense that there was a father of the house: that is to say, one possessing authority over the others and calling them all her children indiscriminately. Yet this mysterious non-existent mother of the house was continually being spoken of, as I found now and afterwards when I listened to the talk around me. After thinking the matter over, I came to the conclusion that “mother of the house” was merely a convenient fiction, and simply stood for the general sense of the women-folk, or something of the sort. It was perhaps stupid of me, but the story of Mistrelde, who died young, leaving only eight children, I had regarded as a mere legend or fable of antiquity.

To return to the reading. Just as I had been absorbed before in that beautiful book without being able to read it, so now I listened to that melodious and majestic voice, experiencing a singular pleasure without properly understanding the sense. I remembered now with a painful feeling of inferiority that my thick speech had been remarked On earlier in the day; and I could not but think that, compared with the speech of this people, it was thick. In their rare physical beauty, the color of their eyes and hair, and in their fascinating dress, they had struck me as being utterly unlike any people ever seen by me. But it was perhaps in their clear, sweet, penetrative voice, which sometimes reminded me of a tender-toned wind instrument, that they most differed from others.

The reading, I have said, had struck me as almost of the nature of a religious service; nevertheless, everything went on as before--reading, working, and occasional conversation; but the subdued talking and moving about did not interfere with one’s pleasure in the old man’s musical speech any more than the soft murmur and flying about of honey bees would prevent one from enjoying the singing of a skylark. Emboldened by what I saw the others doing, I left my seat and made my way across the floor to Yoletta’s side, stealing through the gloom with great caution to avoid making a clatter with those abominable boots.

“May I sit down near you?” said I with some hesitation; but she encouraged me with a smile and placed a cushion for me.

I settled myself down in the most graceful position I could assume, which was not at all graceful, doubling my objectionable legs out of her sight; and then began my trouble, for I was greatly perplexed to know what to say to her. I thought of lawn-tennis and archery. Ellen Terry’s acting, the Royal Academy Exhibition, private theatricals, and twenty things besides, but they all seemed unsuitable subjects to start conversation with in this case. There was, I began to fear, no common ground on which we could meet and exchange thoughts, or, at any rate, words. Then I remembered that ground, common and broad enough, of our human feelings, especially the sweet and important feeling of love. But how was I to lead up to it? The work she was engaged with at length suggested an opening, and the opportunity to make a pretty little speech.

“Your sight must be as good as your eyes are pretty,” said I, “to enable you to work in such a dim light.”

“Oh, the light is good enough,” she answered, taking no notice of the compliment. “Besides, this is such easy work I could do it in the dark.”

“It is very pretty work--may I look at it?”

She handed the stuff to me, but instead of taking it in the ordinary way, I placed my hand under hers, and, holding up cloth and hand together, proceeded to give a minute and prolonged scrutiny to her work.

“Do you know that I am enjoying two distinct pleasures at one and the same time?” said I. “One is in seeing your work, the other in holding your hand; and I think the last pleasure even greater than the first.” As she made no reply, I added somewhat lamely: “May I--keep on holding it?”

“That would prevent me from working,” she answered, with the utmost gravity. “But you may hold it for a little while.”

“Oh, thank you,” I exclaimed, delighted with the privilege; and then, to make the most of my precious “little while,” I pressed it warmly, whereupon she cried out aloud: “Oh, Smith, you are squeezing too hard--you hurt my hand!”

I dropped it instantly in the greatest confusion. “Oh, for goodness sake,” I stammered, “please, do not make such an outcry! You don’t know what a hobble you’ll get me into.”

Fortunately, no notice was taken of the exclamation, though it was hard to believe that her words had not been overheard; and presently, recovering from my fright, I apologized for hurting her, and hoped she would forgive me.

“There is nothing to forgive,” she returned gently. “You did not really squeeze hard, only my hand hurts, because to-day when I pressed it on the ground beside the grave I ran a small thorn into it.” Then the remembrance of that scene at the burial brought a sudden mist of tears into her lovely eyes.

“I am so sorry I hurt you, Yoletta--may I call you Yoletta?” said I, all at once remembering that she had called me Smith, without the customary prefix.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close