On the Trail of the Space Pirates - Cover

On the Trail of the Space Pirates

Public Domain

Chapter 2

“Stand by for touchdown!” bellowed Captain Strong’s voice on the big spaceship’s intercom.

“Control deck standing by,” replied Tom.

“Corbett,” Strong continued, “you may take her down as soon as you get clearance from Venusport traffic control.”

Tom acknowledged the order with a brisk “Aye, sir! In a few moments he received permission to touch down on the newly colonized planet. Then, turning his attention to the control board, he requested a ground-approach check from Roger.

“About two miles to touchdown, Tom,” reported Roger from the radar bridge. “Trajectory clear!”

“O.K., Roger,” said Tom. Glancing quickly at the air speed and rocket thrust indicators, he flipped a switch and sang out, “Power deck, reduce thrust on main drive rockets to minimum!”

“Got ya, Tom,” boomed Astro.

“Closing in fast, sir,” said Tom to Strong, who had come up from below and now stood at the cadet’s shoulder watching as Tom maneuvered the big ship through the Venusian atmosphere, his keen eyes sweeping the great panel of recording gauges and dials.

“One thousand feet to touchdown,” intoned Roger from the radar bridge.

Reacting swiftly, Tom adjusted several levers, then picking up the intercom microphone, he threw a switch and yelled, “Power deck! Full braking thrust!”

Deep inside the Polaris, Astro, who tended the mighty rocket power plant with loving care, eased home the sensitive control mechanism, applying even pressure to the braking rockets.

As the giant spaceship settled smoothly to within a few feet of the surface of the concrete spaceport, Tom threw the master switch that cut all power. A moment later the huge craft dropped easily, then settled on the landing platform with a gentle thump.

“Touchdown!” yelled Tom. Then, glancing at the astral chronometer on the control board, he turned to Strong, and saluting smartly, reported, “Polaris completes space flight at exactly seven fifty-two-O-two!”

Strong returned the salute. “Very well, Tom. Now, I want you, Roger, and Astro to come with me to the exposition commissioner’s office for an interview and detailed orders.”

“Yes, sir,” said Tom.

A few minutes later, dressed in fresh uniforms, the three cadets followed their unit commander out of the ship, then stood by as Strong ordered the chief petty officer of an enlisted Solar Guard working party to prepare the Polaris for moving to the exposition site.

“Empty the reactant fuel tanks of all but enough for us to raise ship and touch down over to the fairgrounds,” said Strong. “Better strip her of armament, too. Paralo-ray pistols and rifles, the three-inch and six-inch atomic blasters, narco sleeping gas; in fact, everything that could possibly cause any trouble.”

“Yes, sir,” replied the scarlet-clad enlisted spaceman.

“One thing more,” added Strong. “There will be a crew living aboard, so please see that the galley is stocked with a full supply of both fresh and synthetic foods. That’s about all, I guess.”

“Very well, sir,” replied the petty officer with a crisp salute. He turned and began bawling orders to a squad of men behind him and immediately they were swarming over the great ship like ants.

Fifteen minutes later, a jet cab swerved to a stop in front of the tallest of the Venusport buildings, the Solar Alliance Chamber. Strong paid the driver, adding a handsome tip, and flanked by his three cadets strode briskly into the building.

Crossing a high-ceilinged lobby, they entered an express vacuum elevator and five seconds later stepped out onto the four-hundredth floor. There, Strong slid a panel door to one side, and, followed by the cadets, stepped inside the office of Mike Hawks, exposition commissioner and retired senior officer of the Solar Guard.

The office was impressively large and airy, with an outside wall forming a viewport of clear Titan crystal reaching from floor to vaulted ceiling and affording a magnificent view of the city of Venusport and, beyond it, the futuristic buildings of the exposition itself. Another wall, equally as large, was covered by a map of the exposition grounds.

Mike Hawks, a man with steel-gray hair, clear blue eyes, and a ramrod military bearing, sat behind a massive desk talking to two men. He looked up when Strong and the cadets walked in and rose quickly with a broad smile to greet them.

“Steve!” he exclaimed, rounding the desk to shake hands with his old friend. “I never dreamed we’d have you and the Polaris unit at our fair!” He nodded warmly to the cadets who stood at rigid attention. “At ease, cadets. Glad to have you aboard.”

“I was just as surprised to get this assignment, Mike,” said Strong, pumping the officer’s hand. Nodding toward the men seated in front of Hawks’ desk, he apologized, “Sorry to bust in on you like this, old man. Didn’t know you were busy.”

“It’s quite all right.” The commissioner smiled. “Just handing out a few licenses for the concessions in the amusement section at the fair. People expect to have a little fun when they go to a fair, you know. By the stars, they’re going to have it so long as I’m commissioner.” He turned to the cadets. “Sit down, boys. You too, Steve. I’ll be with you in a minute.” He turned back to his desk and the waiting men.

The cadets, at a nod from Strong, sat down on a leather couch that stretched the length of one wall and listened while Hawks completed his business with the two men.

“There you are,” said Hawks, applying the seal of his office to a slip of paper. “That gives you the right to operate a concession in the amusement area as long as the fair is open.”

One of the men took the paper and glanced at it quickly.

“Wait a minute, Commissioner. This is over near the edge of the area,” he complained. “We wanted to get in the middle. How do you expect us to make any credits away out there by ourselves?” The man’s tone was surly and disrespectful.

“Sorry, but that’s the only location left. In fact,” Hawks added acidly, “you’re lucky to get it!”

“Really?” sneered the heavier of the two. “Well, I’m sure going to find out about this!”

Hawks stood up and eyed the two men coldly. “I’ve been appointed commissioner of this exposition by the delegates to the Solar Alliance Council. I answer only to the council. If you have a complaint, then you must present your case before that body.” He cleared his throat and glared at them from behind his desk. “Good day, gentlemen!” he said.

[Illustration: Hawks stood up and eyed the two men coldly]

The two men, who until now had been seated facing the desk, got up, and after glaring at Hawks, turned and walked toward the door. Tom gasped, and grabbing Roger by the arm, involuntarily pointed at the two men.

“Look, Roger--those men--” he whispered.

“Yeah,” said Roger. “Those are the wise-guy space crawlers we met on the monorail, the ones who called us punks!”

“How’d they get here so fast?” asked Astro.

“Must have taken a jetliner from Atom City, I guess.”

Strong, who sat near Tom, heard the exchange between the cadets.

“You know those men?” he asked.

“Well--uh--not exactly, sir. We just had a little run-in with them on the monorail returning from leave, that’s all,” said Tom. “Nothing serious. They don’t think much of the Solar Guard, though.”

“I gathered as much,” said Hawks dryly. He walked over from his desk. “I hated to give them the license to operate, but I had to, since I had no valid reason to turn them down. They have a good idea, too.”

“That so? What is it?” asked Strong.

“They have an old chemical-burning space freighter in which they’re going to take fair visitors up for a short ride. You see, the big one, Gus Wallace, is an old deep-space merchantman. The smaller one is Luther Simms, a rocketman.”

“Hm. Not a bad idea at all,” mused Strong. “They should make out all right.”

With that, the two Solar Guard officers dropped the incident of Wallace and Simms and turned to exchanging news of mutual friends and of what each had been doing since their last meeting. Finally, as the conversation was brought around to the exposition, Hawks got up and sat on the side of the desk, facing Strong and the cadets. His eyes glowed as he spoke.

“Steve,” he said, “this is going to be the greatest gathering of minds, thoughts, and ideas in the knowledgeable history of mankind! There are going to be lectures from the greatest minds in the system on any and all subjects you can think of. In one building we’re going to build a whole spaceship--a rocket cruiser--piece by piece, right in front of the eyes of fair visitors. In another building we’re going to have the greatest collection of musicians in the universe, continuously playing the most beautiful music, in a hall built to seat a half million people. Industry, science, medicine, art, literature, astrophysics, space flight, to say nothing of a comparative history exhibit designed to show the people where our forefathers went off the track by warring against each other. In fact, Steve, everything you can think of, and then more, will be represented here at the exposition. Why, do you know I’ve been working for three years, co-ordinating ideas, activity, and information!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close