Legacy - Cover

Legacy

Public Domain

Chapter 12

“Well, we didn’t just leave it up to them,” Quillan said. “Ship’s Engineering spotted a radiation leak in their cabin. Slight but definite. They got bundled out in a squawking hurry.” He added, “They did get a better cabin though.”

“Might have been less trouble to get me to move,” Trigger remarked.

“Might have been. I didn’t know what mood you’d be in.”

Trigger decided to let that ride. This cocktail lounge was a very curious place. By the looks of it, there were thirty or forty people in their immediate vicinity; but if one looked again in a couple of minutes, there might be an entirely different thirty or forty people around. Sitting in easy chairs or at tables, standing about in small groups, talking, drinking, laughing, they drifted past slowly; overhead, below, sometimes tilted at odd angles--fading from sight and presently returning.

In actual fact she and Quillan were in a little room by themselves, and with more than ordinary privacy via an audio block and a reconstruct scrambler which Quillan had switched on at their entry. “I’ll leave us out of the viewer circuit,” he remarked, “until you’ve finished your questions.”

“Viewer circuit?” she repeated.

Quillan waved a hand around. “That,” he said. “There are more commercial and industrial spies, political agents, top-class confidence men and whatnot on board this ship than you’d probably believe. A good percentage of them are pretty fair lip readers, and the things you want to talk about are connected with the Federation’s hottest current secret. So while it’s a downright crime not to put you on immediate display in a place like this, we won’t take the chance.”

Trigger let that ride too. A group had materialized at an oblong table eight feet away while Quillan was speaking. Everybody at the table seemed fairly high, and two of the couples were embarrassingly amorous; but she couldn’t quite picture any of them as somebody’s spies or agents. She listened to the muted chatter. Some Hub dialect she didn’t know.

“None of those people can see or hear us then?” she asked.

“Not until we want them to. Viewer gives you as much privacy as you like. Most of the crowd here just doesn’t see much point to privacy. Like those two.”

Trigger followed his glance. At a tilted angle above them, a matched pair of black-haired, black-gowned young sirens sat at a small table, sipping their drinks, looking languidly around.

“Twins,” Trigger said.

“No,” said Quillan. “That’s Blent and Company.”

“Oh?”

“Blent’s a lady of leisure and somewhat excessively narcissistic tendencies,” he explained. He gave the matched pair another brief study. “Perhaps one can’t really blame her. One of them’s her facsimile. Blent--whichever it is--is never without her face.”

“Oh,” Trigger said. She’d been studying the gowns. “That,” she said, a trifle enviously, “is why I’m not at all eager to go on display here.”

“Eh?” said Quillan.

Trigger turned to regard herself in the wall mirror on the right, which, she had noticed, remained carefully unobscured by drifting viewers and viewees. A thoughtful touch on the lounge management’s part.

“Until we walked in here,” she explained, “I thought this was a pretty sharp little outfit I’m wearing.”

“Hmmm,” Quillan said judiciously. He made a detailed appraisal of the mirror image of the slim, green, backless, half-thigh-length sheath which had looked so breath-taking and seductive in a Ceyce display window. Trigger’s eyes narrowed a little. The major had appraised the dress in detail before.

“It’s about as sharp a little outfit as you could get for around a hundred and fifty credits,” he remarked. “Most of the items the girls are sporting here are personality conceptions. That starts at around ten to twenty times as high. I wasn’t talking about displaying the dress. Now what were those questions?”

Trigger took a small sip of her drink, considering. She hadn’t made up her mind about Major Quillan, but until she could evaluate him more definitely, it might be best to go by appearances. The appearances so far indicated small sips in his company.

“How did you people find me so quickly?” she asked.

“Next time you want to sneak off a civilized planet,” Quillan advised her, “pick something like a small freighter. Or hire a small-boat to get you out of the system and flag down a freighter for you. Plenty of tramp captains will make a space stop to pick up a paying passenger. Liners we can check.”

“Sorry,” Trigger said meekly. “I’m still new at this business.”

“And thank God for that!” said Quillan. “If you have the time and the money, it’s also a good idea, of course, to zig a few times before you zag towards where you’re really heading. Actually, I suppose, the credit for picking you up so fast should go to those collating computers.”

“Oh?”

“Yes.” Major Quillan looked broodingly at his drink for a moment. “There they sit,” he remarked suddenly, “with their stupid plastic faces hanging out! Rows of them. You feed them something you don’t understand. They don’t understand it either. Nobody can tell me they can. But they kick it around and giggle a bit, and out comes some ungodly suggestion.”

“So they helped you find me?” she said cautiously. It was clear that the major had strong feelings about computers.

“Oh, sure,” he said. “It usually turns out it was a good idea to do what those CCs say. Anything unusual that shows up in the area you’re working on gets chunked into the things as a matter of course. We were on the liners. Dawn City reports back a couple of murders. ‘Dawn City to the head of the list!’ cry the computers. Nobody asks why. They just plow into the ticket purchase records. And right there are the little Argee thumbprints!”

He looked at Trigger. “My own bet,” he said, somewhat accusingly, “was that you were one of those that had just taken off. We didn’t know about that ticket reservation.”

“What I don’t see,” Trigger said, changing the subject, “is why two murders should seem so very unusual. There must be quite a few of them, after all.”

“True,” said Quillan. “But not murders that look like catassin killings.”

“Oh!” she said startled. “Is that what these were?”

“That’s what Ship Security thinks.”

Trigger frowned. “But what could be the connection--”

Quillan reached across the table and patted her hand. “You’ve got it!” he said with approval. “Exactly! No connection. Some day I’m going to walk down those rows and give them each a blast where it will do the most good. It will be worth being broken for.”

Trigger said, “I thought that catassin planet was being guarded.”

“It is. It would be very hard to sneak one out nowadays. But somebody’s breeding them in the Hub. Just a few. Keeps the price up.”

Trigger grimaced uncomfortably. She’d seen recordings of those swift, clever, constitutionally murderous creatures in action. “You say it looked like catassin killings. They haven’t found it?”

“No. But they think they got rid of it. Emptied the air from most of the ship after they surfaced and combed over the rest of it with life detectors. They’ve got a detector system set up now that would spot a catassin if it moved twenty feet in any direction.”

“Life detectors go haywire out of normal space, don’t they?” she said. “That’s why they surfaced then.”

Quillan nodded. “You’re a well-informed doll. They’re pretty certain it’s been sucked into space or disposed of by its owner, but they’ll go on looking till we dive beyond Garth.”

“Who got killed?”

“A Rest Warden and a Security officer. In the rest cubicle area. It might have been sent after somebody there. Apparently it ran into the two men and killed them on the spot. The officer got off one shot and that set off the automatic alarms. So pussy cat couldn’t finish the job that time.”

“It’s all sort of gruesome, isn’t it?” Trigger said.

“Catassins are,” Quillan agreed. “That’s a fact.”

Trigger took another sip. She set down her glass. “There’s something else,” she said reluctantly.

“Yes?”

“When you said you’d come on board to see I got to Manon, I was thinking none of the people who’d been after me on Maccadon could know I was on the Dawn City. They might though. Quite easily.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close