Legacy - Cover

Legacy

Public Domain

Chapter 19

By lunchtime, Trigger was acting almost cordial again. “I’ve got the Precol job lined up,” she reported to Holati Tate. “I’ll handle it like I used to, whenever I can. When I can’t, the kids will shift in automatically.” The kids were the five assistants among whom her duties had been divided in her absence.

“Major Quillan called me up to Mantelish’s lab around ten,” she went on. “They wanted to see Repulsive, so I took him up there. Then it turned out Mantelish wanted to take Repulsive along on a field trip this afternoon.”

Holati looked startled. “He can’t do that, and he knows it!” He reached for the desk transmitter.

“Don’t bother, Commissioner. I told Mantelish I’d been put in charge of Repulsive, and that he’d lose an arm if he tried to walk out of the lab with him.”

Holati cleared his throat. “I see! How did Mantelish react?”

“Oh, he huffed a bit. Like he does. Then he calmed down and agreed he could get by without Repulsive out there. So we stood by while he measured and weighed the thing, and so on. After that he got friendly and said you’d asked him to fill me in on current plasmoid theory.”

“So I did,” said Holati. “Did he?”

“He tried, I think. But it’s like you say. I got lost in about three sentences and never caught up.” She looked curiously at the Commissioner. “I didn’t have a chance to talk to Major Quillan alone, so I’m wondering why Mantelish was told the I-Fleets in the Vishni area are hunting for planets with plasmoids on them. I thought you felt he was too woolly-minded to be trusted.”

“We couldn’t keep that from him very well,” Holati said. “He was the boy who thought of it.”

“You didn’t have to tell him they’d found some possibles did you?”

“He did, unfortunately. He’s had those plasmoid detectors of his for about a month, but he didn’t happen to think of mentioning them. The reason he was to come back to Manon originally was to sort over the stuff the Fleets have been sending back here. It’s as weird a collection of low-grade life-forms as I’ve ever seen, but not plasmoid. Mantelish went into a temper and wanted to know why the idiots weren’t using detectors.”

“Oh, Lord!” Trigger said.

“That’s what it’s like when you’re working with him,” said the Commissioner. “We started making up detectors wholesale and rushing them out there, but the new results haven’t come in yet.”

“Well, that explains it.” Trigger looked down at the desk a moment, then glanced up and met the Commissioner’s eye. She colored slightly.

“Incidentally,” she said, “I did take the opportunity to apologize to Major Quillan for clipping him a couple this morning. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“He didn’t seem offended,” said Holati.

“No, not really,” she agreed.

“And I explained to him that you had a very good reason to feel disturbed.”

“Thanks,” said Trigger. “By the way, was he really a smuggler at one time? And a hijacker?”

“Yes--very successful at it. It’s excellent cover for some phases of Intelligence work. As I heard it, though, Quillan happened to scramble up one of the Hub’s nastier dope rings in the process, and was broken two grades in rank.”

“Broken?” Trigger said. “Why?”

“Unwarranted interference with a political situation. The Scouts are rough about that. You’re supposed to see those things. Sometimes you don’t. Sometimes you do and go ahead anyway. They may pat you on the back privately, but they also give you the axe.”

“I see,” she said. She smiled.

“Just how far did we get in bringing you up to date yesterday?” the Commissioner asked.

“The remains that weren’t Doctor Azol,” Trigger said.

If it hadn’t been for the funny business with Trigger, Holati said, he mightn’t have been immediately skeptical about Doctor Azol’s supposed demise by plasmoid during a thrombosis-induced spell of unconsciousness. There had been no previous indications that the U-League’s screening of its scientists, in connection with the plasmoid find, might have been strategically loused up from the start.

But as things stood, he did look on the event with very considerable skepticism. Doctor Azol’s death, in that particular form, seemed too much of a coincidence. For, beside himself, only Azol knew that another person already had suddenly and mysteriously lost consciousness on Harvest Moon. Only Azol therefore might expect that the Commissioner would quietly inform the official investigators of the preceding incident, thus cinching the accidental death theory in Azol’s case much more neatly than the assumed heart attack had done.

The Commissioner went on from there to the reflection that if Azol had chosen to disappear, it might well have been with the intention of conveying important information secretly back to somebody waiting for it in the Hub. He saw to it that the remains were preserved, and that word of what could have happened was passed on to a high Federation official whom he knew to be trustworthy. That was all he was in a position to do, or interested in doing, himself. Security men presently came and took the supposed vestiges of Doctor Azol’s body back to the Hub.

“It wasn’t until some months later, when the works blew up and I was put on this job, that I heard any more about it,” Holati Tate said. “It wasn’t Azol. It was part of some unidentifiable cadaver which he’d presumably brought with him for just such a use. Anyway, they had Azol’s gene patterns on record, and they didn’t jibe.”

His desk transmitter buzzed and Trigger took it on an earphone extension.

“Argee,” she said. She listened a moment. “All right. Coming over.” She stood up, replacing the earphone. “Office tangle,” she explained. “Guess they feel I’m fluffing, now I’m back. I’ll get back here as soon as it’s straightened out. Oh, by the way.”

“Yes?”

“The Psychology Service ship messaged in during the morning. It’ll arrive some time tomorrow and wants a station assigned to it outside the system, where it won’t be likely to attract attention. Are they really as huge as all that?”

“I’ve seen one or two that were bigger,” the Commissioner said. “But not much.”

“When they’re stationed, they’ll send someone over in a shuttle to pick me up.”

The Commissioner nodded. “I’ll check on the arrangements for that. The idea of the interview still bothering you?”

“Well, I’d sooner it wasn’t necessary,” Trigger admitted. “But I guess it is.” She grinned briefly. “Anyway, I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren some day that I once talked to one of the real egg heads!”

The Psychology Service woman who stood up from a couch as Trigger came into the small spaceport lounge next evening looked startlingly similar to Major Quillan’s Dawn City assistant, Gaya. Standing, you could see that she was considerably more slender than Gaya. She had all of Gaya’s good looks.

“The name is Pilch,” she said. She looked at Trigger and smiled. It was a good smile, Trigger thought; not the professional job she’d expected. “And everyone who knows Gaya,” she went on, “thinks we must be twins.”

Trigger laughed. “Aren’t you?”

“Just first cousins.” The voice was all right too--clear and easy. Trigger felt herself relax somewhat. “That’s one reason they picked me to come and get you. We’re already almost acquainted. Another is that I’ve been assigned to take you through the preliminary work for your interview after we get to the ship. We can chat a bit on the way, and that should make it seem less disagreeable. Boat’s in the speedboat park over there.”

They started down a short hallway to the park area. “Just how disagreeable is it going to be?” Trigger asked.

“Not at all bad in your case. You’re conditioned to the processes more than you know. Your interviewer will just pick up where the last job ended and go on from there. It’s when you have to work down through barriers that you have a little trouble.”

Trigger was still mulling that over as she stepped ahead of Pilch into the smaller of two needle-nosed craft parked side by side. Pilch followed her in and closed the lock behind them. “The other one’s a combat job,” she remarked. “Our escort. Commissioner Tate made very sure we had one, too!” She motioned Trigger to a low soft seat that took up half the space of the tiny room behind the lock, sat down beside her and spoke at a wall pickup. “All set. Let’s ride!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close