Legacy - Cover

Legacy

Public Domain

Chapter 25

Trigger gasped. Her eyes flew open. She made a convulsive effort to vanish beneath the surface of the creek. Being flat on the sand as it was, that didn’t work. So she stopped splashing about and made rapid covering-up motions here and there instead.

“You’ve got a nerve!” she snapped as her breath came back. “Beat it! Fast!”

Ole bashful Quillan, standing on the bank fifteen feet above her, looked hurt. He also looked.

“Look!” he said plaintively. “I just came over to make sure you were all right--wild animals around! I wasn’t studying the color scheme.”

Beat it! At once!

Quillan inhaled with apparent difficulty.

“Though now it’s been mentioned,” he went on, speaking rapidly and unevenly, “there is all that brown and that sort of pink and that lovely white.” He was getting more enthusiastic by the moment; Trigger became afraid he would fall off the bank and land in the creek beside her. “And the--ooh-ummh!--wet red hair and the freckles!” he rattled along, his eyes starting out of his head. “And the lovely--”

“Quillan!” she yelled. “Please!”

Quillan checked himself. “Uh!” he said. He drew a deep breath. The wild look faded. Sanity appeared to return. “Well, it’s the truth about those wild animals! Some sort of large, uncouth critter was observed just now ducking into the forest at the upper end of the valley!”

Trigger darted a glance along the bank. Her clothes were forty feet away, just beside the water.

“I’m observing some sort of large, uncouth critter right here!” she said coldly. “What’s worse, it’s observing me. Turn around!”

Quillan sighed. “You’re a hard woman, Argee,” he said. But he turned. He was carrying a holstered gun, as a matter of fact; but he usually did that nowadays anyway. “This thing,” he went on, “is supposed to have a head like a bat, three feet across. It flies.”

“Very interesting,” Trigger told him. She decided he wasn’t going to turn around again. “So now I’ll just get into my clothes, and then--”

It came quietly out of the trees around the upper bend of the creek sixty feet away. It had a head like a bat, and was blue on top and yellow below. Its flopping wing tips barely cleared the bank on either side. The three-foot mouth was wide open, showing very long thin white teeth. It came skimming swiftly over the surface of the water toward her.

“Quiiii-LLAN!”


They walked back along the trail to camp. Trigger walked a few steps ahead, her back very straight. The worst of it had been the smug look on his face.

“Heel!” she observed. “Heel! Heel! Heel!”

“Now, Trigger,” Quillan said calmly behind her. “After all, it was you who came flying up the bank and wrapped yourself around my neck. All wet, too.”

“I was scared!” Trigger snarled. “Who wouldn’t be? You certainly didn’t hesitate an instant to take full advantage of the situation!”

“True,” Quillan admitted. “I’d dropped the bat. There you were. Who’d hesitate? I’m not out of my mind.”

She did two dance steps of pure rage and spun to face him. She put her hands on her hips. Quillan stopped warily.

“Your mind!” she said. “I’d hate to have one like it. What do you think I am? One of Belchik’s houris?”

For a man his size, he was really extremely quick. Before she could move, he was there, one big arm wrapped about her shoulders, pinning her arms to her sides. “Easy, Trigger!” he said softly.

Well, others had tried to hold her like that when she didn’t want to be held. A twist, a jerk, a heave--and over and down they went. Trigger braced herself quietly. If she was quick enough now---- She twisted, jerked, heaved. She stopped, discouraged. The situation hadn’t altered appreciably.

She had been afraid it wasn’t going to work with Quillan.

“Let go!” she said furiously, aiming a fast heel at his instep. But the instep flicked aside. Her shoe dug into the turf of the path. The ape might even have an extra pair of eyes on his feet!

Then his free palm was cupped under her chin, tilting it carefully. His other eyes appeared above hers. Very close. Very dark.

“I’ll bite!” Trigger whispered fiercely. “I’ll bi--mmph!

“Mmmph--grrmm!

“Grr-mm-mhm ... Hm-m-m ... mhm!”


They walked on along the trail, hand in hand. They came up over the last little rise. Trigger looked down on the camp. She frowned.

“Pretty dull!” she observed.

“Eh?” Quillan asked, startled.

“Not that, ape!” she said. She squeezed his hand. “Your morals aren’t good, but dull it wasn’t. I meant generally. We’re just sitting here now waiting. Nothing seems to be happening.”

It was true, at least on the surface. There were a great number of ships and men around and near Luscious, but they weren’t in view. They were ready to jump in any direction, at any moment, but they had nothing to jump at yet. The Commissioner’s transmitters hadn’t signaled more than two or three times in the last two days. Even the short communicators remained mostly silent.

“Cheer up, Doll!” Quillan said. “Something’s bound to break pretty soon.”

That evening, a Devagas ship came zooming in on Luscious.

They were prepared for it, of course. That somebody came round from time to time to look over the local plasmoid crop was only to be expected. As the ship surfaced in atmosphere on the other side of the planet, four one-man Scout fighters flashed in on it from four points of the horizon, radiation screens up. They tacked holding beams on it and braced themselves. A Federation destroyer appeared in the air above it.

The Devagas ship couldn’t escape. So it blew itself up.

They were prepared for that, too. The Devagas pilot was being dead-brained three minutes later. He didn’t know a significant thing except the exact coordinates of an armed, subterranean Devagas dome, three days’ run away.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close