The Impossibles - Cover

The Impossibles

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 9

The afternoon was bright and sunny, but it didn’t match Malone’s mood. He got a cab outside the precinct station and headed for 69th Street, dining off his nails en route. When he hit the FBI headquarters, he called Washington and got Burris on the line.

He made a full report to the FBI chief, including his wild theory and everything else that had happened. “And there was this notebook,” he said, and reached into his jacket pocket for it.

The pocket was empty.

“What notebook?” Burris said.

Malone tried to remember if he’d left the book in his room. He couldn’t quite recall. “This book I picked up,” he said, and described it. “I’ll send it on, or bring it in when the case is over.”

“All right,” Burris said.

Malone went on with his description of what had happened. When he’d finished, Burris heaved a great sigh.

“My goodness,” he said. “Last year it was telepathic spies, and this year it’s teleporting thieves. Malone, I hate to think about next year.”

“I wish you hadn’t said that,” Malone said sadly.

Burris blinked. “Why?” he said.

“Oh, just because,” Malone said. “I haven’t even had time to think about next year yet. But I’ll think about it now.”

“Well, maybe it won’t be so bad,” Burris said.

Malone shook his head. “No, Chief,” he said. “You’re wrong. It’ll be worse.”

“This is bad enough,” Burris said.

“It’s a great vacation,” Malone said.

“Please,” Burris said. “Did I have any idea--”

“Yes,” Malone said.

Burris’ eyes closed. “All right, Malone,” he said after a little pause. “Let’s get back to the report. At least it explains the red Cadillac business. Sergeant Jukovsky was hit by a boy who vanished. Vanished. My God.”

“I was hit by a boy who vanished, too,” Malone said bitterly. “But of course I’m just an FBI agent. Expendable. Nobody cares about--”

“Don’t say that, Malone,” Burris said. “You’re one of my most valuable agents.”

Malone tried to stop himself from beaming, but he couldn’t. “Well, Chief,” he began, “I--”

“Vanishing boys,” Burris muttered. “What are you going to do with them, Malone?”

“I was hoping you might have some kind of suggestion,” Malone said.

“Me?”

“Well,” Malone said, “I suppose I’ll figure it out. When I catch them. But I did want something from you, Chief.”

“Anything, Malone,” Burris said. “Anything at all.”

“I want you to get hold of Dr. O’Connor, out at Yucca Flats, if you can. He’s the best psionics man Westinghouse has right now, and I might need him.”

“If you say so,” Burris said doubtfully.

“Well,” Malone said, “these kids are teleports. And maybe there’s some way to stop a teleport. Give him a good hard kick in the psi, for instance.”

“In the what?”

“Never mind,” Malone said savagely. “But if I’m going to get any information on what makes teleports tick, I’m going to have to get it from Dr. O’Connor. Right?”

“Right,” Burris said.

“So get in touch with Dr. O’Connor,” Malone said.

“I’ll have him call you,” Burris said. “Meanwhile--well, meanwhile just carry on, Malone. I’ve got every confidence in you.”

“Thanks,” Malone growled.

“If anybody can crack a case like this,” Burris said, “it’s you.”

“I suppose it had better be,” Malone said, and rang off.

Then he started to think. The notebook wasn’t in his pockets. He checked every one, even the jacket pocket where he usually kept a handkerchief and nothing else. It wasn’t anywhere on his person.

Had he left it in his room?

He thought about that for several minutes, and finally decided that he hadn’t. He hadn’t taken it out of his pocket, for one thing, and if it had fallen to the ground he couldn’t have helped seeing it. Of course he’d put his wallet, keys, change, and other such items on the dresser, and then replaced them in his pockets in the morning. But he could remember how they’d looked on the dresser.

The notebook hadn’t been there among them.

Now that he came to think of it, when had he seen the notebook last? He’d shown it to Lieutenant Lynch during the afternoon, and then he’d put it back in his pocket, and he hadn’t looked for it again.

So it had to be somewhere in one of the bars he’d visited, or at the theater where he and Dorothy had seen The Hot Seat.

Proud of himself for this careful and complete job of deduction, he strolled out and, giving Boyd and the Agent-in-Charge one small smile each, to remember him by, he went into the sunlight, trying to decide which place to check first.

He settled on the theater because it was most probable. After all, people were always losing things in theaters. Besides, if he started at the theater, and found the notebook there, he could then go on to a bar to celebrate. If he found the notebook in a bar, he didn’t much relish the idea of going on to an empty theater in the middle of the afternoon to celebrate.

Shaking his head over this flimsy structure of logic, he headed down to The Hot Seat. He banged on the lobby doors for a while without any good result, and finally leaned against one of the side doors, which opened. Malone fell through, recovered his balance, and found himself facing an old bewhiskered man with a dustpan, a broom, and a surprised expression.

“I’m looking for a notebook,” Malone said.

“Try a stationery store, youngster,” the old man said. “I thought I’d heard ‘em all, but--”

“No,” Malone said. “You don’t understand.”

“I don’t got to understand,” the old man said. “That’s what’s so restful about this here job. I just got to sweep up. I don’t got to understand nothing. Good-bye.”

“I’m looking for a notebook I lost here last night,” Malone said desperately.

“Oh,” the old man said. “Lost and Found. That’s different. You come with me.”

The old man led Malone in silence to a cave deep in the bowels of the theater, where he went behind a little desk, took up a pencil as if it were a club, held it poised over a sheet of grimy paper, and said, “Name?”

Malone said, “I just want to find a notebook.”

“Got to give me your name, youngster,” the old man said solemnly. “It’s the rules here.”

Malone sighed. “Kenneth Malone,” he said. “And my address is--”

The old man, fiercely scribbling, looked up. “Wait a minute, can’t you?” he said. “I ain’t through ‘Kenneth’ yet.” He wrote on, and finally said, “Address?”

“Hotel New Yorker,” Malone said. “In Manhattan?” the old man said. “That’s right,” Malone said wearily.

“Ah,” the old man said. “Tourist, ain’t you? Tourists is always losing things. Once it was a big dog. Don’t know yet how a dog got into this here theater. Had to feed it for four days before somebody showed up to claim it. Fierce-looking animal. Part bloodhound, part water spaniel.”

Fascinated in spite of himself, Malone said, “That’s impossible.”

“Nothing’s impossible,” the old man said. “Work for a theater long enough and you find that out. Part bloodhound, I said, and part water spaniel. Should have seen that dog before you start talking about impossibilities. Hell of a strange-looking beast. And then there was the time--”

“About the notebook,” Malone said.

“Notebook?” the old man said.

“I lost a notebook,” Malone said. “I was hoping that--”

“Description?” the old man said, and poised his pencil again.

Malone heaved a great sigh. “Black plastic,” he said. “About so big.” He made motions with his hands. “No names or initials on it. But the first page had my name written on it, along with Lieutenant Peter Lynch.”

“Who’s he?” the old man said.

“He’s a cop,” Malone said.

“My, my,” the old man said. “Valuable notebook, with a cop’s name in it and all. You a cop, youngster?”

Malone shook his head.

“Too bad,” the old man said obscurely. “I like cops.” He stood up. “You said black plastic? Black?”

“That’s right,” Malone said. “Do you have it here?”

“Got no notebooks at all here, youngster,” the old man said. “Empty billfold, three hats, a couple of coats, and some pencils. And an umbrella. No dogs tonight, youngster, and no notebooks.”

“Oh,” Malone said. “Well--wait a minute.”

“What is it, youngster?” the old man said. “I’m busy this time of day. Got to sweep and clean. Got work to do. Not like you tourists.”

With difficulty, Malone leashed his temper. “Why did I have to describe the notebook?” he said. “You haven’t got any notebooks at all.”

“That’s right,” the old man said cheerfully.

“But you made me describe--”

“That’s the rules,” the old man said. “And I ain’t about to go against the rules. Not for no tourist.” He put the pencil down and rose. “Wish you were a cop,” he said. “I never met a cop. They don’t lose things like people do.”

Making a mental note to call up later and talk to the manager, if the notebook hadn’t turned up in the meantime, Malone went off to find the bars he had stopped in before the theater.

Saving Topp’s for last, he started at the Ad Lib, where a surprised bald-headed man told him they hadn’t found a notebook anywhere in the bar for something like six weeks. “Now if you’d been looking for umbrellas,” he said, “we could have accommodated you. Got over ten umbrellas downstairs, waiting for their owners. I wonder why people lose so many umbrellas?”

“Maybe they hate rain,” Malone said.

“I don’t know,” the bald man said. “I’m sort of a psychologist--you know, a judge of people. I think it’s an unconscious protest against the fetters of a society which is slowly strangling them by--”

Malone said good-bye in a hurry and left. His next stop was the Xochitl, the Mexican bar on 46th Street. He greeted the bartender warmly.

“Ah,” the bartender told him. “You come back. We look for you.”

“Look for me?” Malone said. “You mean you found my notebook?”

“Notesbook?” the bartender said.

“A little black plastic book,” Malone said, making motions, “about so big. And it--”

“Not find,” the bartender said. “You lose him?”

“Sure I lost him,” Malone said. “I mean it. Would I be looking for it if I hadn’t lost it?”

“Who knows?” the bartender said, and shrugged.

“But you said you were looking for me,” Malone said. “What about?”

“Oh,” the bartender said. “I only say that. Make customer feel good, think we miss him. Customers like, so we do. What your name?”

“Pizarro,” Malone said disgustedly, and went away.

The last stop was Topp’s. Well, he had to find the notebook there. It was the only place the notebook could be. That was logic, and Malone was proud of it. He walked into Topp’s, trying to remember the bartender’s name, and found it just as he walked into the bar.

“Hello, Wally,” he said gaily.

The bartender stared at him. “I’m not Wally,” he said. “Wally’s the night barman. My name’s Ray.”

“Oh,” Malone said, feeling deflated. “Well, I’ve come about a notebook.”

“Yes, sir?” Ray said.

“I lost the notebook here yesterday evening, between six and eight. If you’ll just take me to the Lost and Found--”

“One moment, sir,” Ray said, and left him standing at the bar, all alone.

In a few seconds he was back. “I didn’t see the notebook myself, sir,” he said. “But if Wally picked it up, he’d have turned it over to the maître d’. Perhaps you’d like to check with him.”

“Sure,” Malone said. The daytime maître d’ turned out to be a shortish, heavy-set man with large blue eyes, a silver mane, and a thin, pencil-line mustache. He was addressed, for no reason Malone was able to discover, as BeeBee.

Ray introduced them. “This gentleman wants to know about a notebook,” he told BeeBee.

“Notebook?” BeeBee said.

Malone explained at length. BeeBee nodded in an understanding fashion for some moments and, when Malone had finished, disappeared in search of the Lost and Found. He came back rather quickly, with the disturbing news that no notebook was anywhere in the place.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close