The Impossibles - Cover

The Impossibles

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 12

The warehouse was locked up tight, all right, Malone thought. In the dim light that surrounded the neighborhood, it stood like a single stone block, alone near the waterfront. There were other buildings nearby, but they seemed smaller; the warehouse loomed over Malone and Boyd threateningly. They stood in a shadow-blacked alley just across the street, watching the big building nervously, studying it for weak points and escape areas.

Boyd whispered softly, “Do you think they have a look-out?”

Malone’s voice was equally low. “We’ll have to assume they’ve got at least one kid posted,” he said. “But they can’t be watching all the time. Remember, they can’t do everything.”

“They don’t have to,” Boyd said. “They do quite enough for me. Do you realize that, right now, I could be--”

“Break it up,” Malone said. He took a small handset from his pocket and pressed the stud. “Lynch?” he whispered.

A tinny voice came from the earpiece. “Here, Malone.”

“Have you got them located yet?” Malone said.

“Not yet,” Lynch’s voice replied. “We’re working on a triangulation now. Just hold on for a minute or so. I’ll let you know as soon as we’ve got results.”

The police squads--Lynch and his men, the warehouse precinct men, and the Safe and Loft Squad--had set up a careful cordon around the area, and were now hard at work trying to determine two things.

First, they had to know whether there was anybody in the building at all.

Second, they had to be able to locate anyone in the building with precision.

The silence of the downtown warehouse district helped. They had several specially designed, highly sensitive directional microphones aimed at the building from carefully selected spots around the area, trying to pick up the muffled sounds of speech or motion within the warehouse. The watchmen in buildings nearby had been warned off for the time being so that their footsteps wouldn’t occlude any results.

Malone waited, feeling nervous and cold. Finally Lynch’s voice came through again. “We’re getting something, all right,” he said. “There are obviously several people in there. You were right, Malone.”

“Thanks,” Malone said. “How about that fix?”

“Hold it a second,” Lynch said. Wind swept off the river at Malone and Boyd. Malone closed his eyes and shivered. He could smell fish and iodine and waste, the odor of the Hudson as it passes the city. Across the river lights sparkled warmly. Here there was nothing but darkness.

A long time passed, perhaps ten seconds.

Then Lynch’s voice was back. “Sergeant McNulty says they’re on the top floor, Malone,” he said. “Can’t tell how many for sure. But they’re talking and moving around.”

“It’s a shame these things won’t pick up the actual words at a distance,” Malone said.

“Just a general feeling of noise is all we get,” Lynch said. “But it does some good.”

“Sure,” Malone said. “Now listen carefully. Boyd and I are going in. Alone.”

Lynch’s voice whispered, “Right.”

“If those mikes pick up any unusual ruckus--any sharp increase in the noise level--come running,” Malone said. “Otherwise, just sit still and wait for my signal. Got that?”

“Check,” Lynch said.

Malone pocketed the radiophone. “Okay, Tom,” he whispered. “This is it.”

“Right,” Boyd muttered. “Let’s move in.”

“Wait a minute,” Malone said. He took his goggles and brought them down over his eyes, adjusting the helmet on his head. Boyd did the same. Malone flicked on the infrared flashlight he held in his hand.

“Okay?” he whispered. “Check,” Boyd said.

Thanks to the goggles, both of them could see the normally invisible beams of the infrared flashlight. They’d equipped themselves to move in darkness without betraying themselves, and they’d be able to see where a person without equipment would be blind.

Malone stayed well within the shadows as he moved silently around to the alley behind the warehouse, and then to a narrow passageway that led to the building next door. Boyd followed a few feet behind him along the carefully planned route.

Malone unlocked the small door that led into the ground floor of the building adjoining. As he did so, he heard a sound behind him and called, “Tom?”

“Hey, Malone,” Boyd whispered. “It’s--”

Before there was any outcry, Malone rushed back. Boyd was struggling with a figure in the dimness. Malone grabbed the figure and clamped his hand over its mouth. It bit him. He swore in a low voice, and clamped the hand over the mouth again.

It hadn’t taken him more than half a second to realize what, whoever it was who struggled in his arms, it wasn’t a boy.

“Shut up!” Malone hissed in her ear. “I won’t hurt you.”

The struggle stopped immediately. Malone gently eased his hand off the girl’s mouth. She turned and looked at him.

“Kenneth Malone,” she said, “you look like a man from Mars.”

“Dorothea!” Malone gasped. “What are you doing here? Looking for your brother?”

“Never mind that,” she said. “You play too rough. I’m going home to Mother.”

“Answer me!” Malone said.

“All right,” Dorothea said. “You must know anyhow, since you’re here ... Yes, I’m looking for that fatheaded brother of mine. But now I suppose it’s too late. He’ll--he’ll go to prison.”

Her voice broke. Malone found his shoulder suddenly occupied by a crying face.

“No,” he said quickly. “No. Please. He won’t.”

“Really?”

Boyd whispered: “Malone, what is this? It’s a hell of a place for a date. And I--”

“Oh, shut up,” Malone told him in a kindly fashion. He turned back to Dorothea. “I promise he won’t,” he said. “If I can just talk to your brother, make him listen to reason, I think we can get him and the others off. Believe me.”

“But you--”

“Please,” Malone said. “Believe me.”

“Oh, Ken,” Dorothea said, raising her head. “Do you mean it?”

“Sure I mean it,” Malone said. “What have I been saying? The Government needs these kids.”

“The Government?”

“It’s nothing to worry about,” Malone said. “Just go on home now, and I’ll call you tomorrow. Late tonight, if I can. All right?”

“No,” Dorothea said. “It’s not all right. Not at all.”

“But--”

Boyd hissed, “Malone!”

Malone ignored him. He had a bigger fight on his hands. “I’m not going home,” Dorothea announced. “I’m going in there with you. After all,” she added, “I can talk more sense into Mike’s head than you can.”

“Now look,” Malone began.

Dorothea grinned in the darkness. “If you don’t take me along,” she said quietly, “I’ll scream and warn them.”

Malone surrendered at once. He had no doubt at all that Dorothea meant what she said. And, after all, the girl might really be some use to them. And there probably wouldn’t be much danger.

Of course there wouldn’t, he thought. He was going to see to that.

“All right,” he said. “Come along. Stick close to us, and don’t worry about the darkness. We can see, even if you can’t, so let us guide you. And for heaven’s sake be quiet!”

Boyd whispered, “Malone, what’s going on?”

“She’s coming with us,” Malone said, pointing to Dorothea.

Boyd shrugged. “Malone,” he said, “who do you think you are? The Pied Piper of Hamelin?”

Malone wheeled and went ahead. Opening the door, he played his I-R flashlight on the room inside and he, Boyd, and Dorothea trailed in, going through rooms piled with huge boxes. They went up an iron stairway to the second floor, and so on up to the roof.

They moved quickly across the roof to the wall of the warehouse, which was two stories higher than the building they were on. Of course there were no windows in the warehouse wall facing them, except on the top story.

But there was a single, heavy, fireproof emergency exit. It would have taken power machinery or explosive to open that door from the outside without a key, although from the inside it would open easily. Fortunately, Malone had a key.

He took it out and stepped aside. “Give that lock the works,” he whispered to Boyd.

Boyd took a lubricant gun from his pocket and fired three silent shots of special oil into the lock. Then he shot the hinges, and the cracks around the door.

They waited for a minute or two while the oil, forced in under pressure, did its work. Then Malone fitted the key carefully into the lock and turned it, slowly and delicately.

The door swung open in silence. Malone slipped inside, followed by Boyd and Dorothea Fueyo.

Infrared equipment went on again, and the eerie illumination spread over their surroundings. Malone tapped Boyd on the shoulder, and jerked his thumb toward the back stairs. This was plainly no time for talk.

From the floor above, they could hear the murmur of youthful voices.

They started for the stairway. Fortunately, the building was of the steel-and-concrete type; there were no wooden floors to creak and groan beneath their feet.

At the bottom of the stairs, they paused. Voices came down the stairwell clearly, even words being defined in the silence.

“ ... and quit harping on whose fault it was.” Malone recognized Mike Fueyo’s voice. “That FBI guy was onto us, and we had to pull out; you know that. We always figured we’d have to pull out some day. So why not now?”

“Yeah,” another voice said. “But you didn’t have to go and vanish right under that Fed’s nose. You been beating it into our heads not to do that sort of stuff ever since we first found out we could make this vanishing bit. And then you go and do it in front of a Fed. Sure, you got a big bang out of it, but is it smart? I ask you--”

“Yeah?” Mike said. “Listen, Silvo, they never would’ve got onto us if it hadn’t been for your stupid tricks. Slugging a cop on the dome. Cracking up a car. You and your bug for speed!”

Malone blinked. Then it hadn’t been Miguel Fueyo who’d hit Sergeant Jukovsky, but Silvo. Malone tried to remember the list of Silent Spooks. Silvo Envoz--that was his name.

“You slugged the FBI guy, Mike,” Silvo said. “And now you got us all on the run. That’s your fault, Mike. I want to see my old lady.”

“I had to slug him,” Mike said. “Listen, all Ramon’s stuff was in that Cadillac. What would’ve happened if he’d found all that stuff?”

“So what happened anyway?” a third voice said (That was probably Ramon Otravez, Malone thought.) “He found your stupid notebook, didn’t he? He went yelling to the cops, didn’t he? We’re running, ain’t we? So what’s the difference?”

“Shut up!” Mike roared.

“You ain’t telling me to shut up!”

“Me either,” Silvo yelled. “You think you’re a great big big-shot! You think you’re king of the world!”

“Who figured out the Vanish?” Mike screamed. “You’d all be a bunch of bums if I hadn’t showed you that! And you know it! You’d all--”

“Don’t give us that,” Silvo said. “We’d have been able to do it, same as you. Like you said, anybody who’s got talent could do it. There were guys you tried to teach--”

“Sure,” said a fourth voice. “Listen, Fueyo, you’re so bright--so why don’t you try teaching it to somebody who don’t have the talent?”

“Yeah,” said voice number five. “You think you could teach that flashy sister of yours the Vanish?”

“You shut up about my sister, Phil!” Mike screamed.

“So what’s so great about her?”

“She got that book back from the Fed,” Mike said. “That’s what. It’s enough!”

“Hell,” a voice said, “any dame with a little--”

“Shut your goddamn face before I shut it for you!”

Malone couldn’t tell who was yelling what at who after a minute. They all seemed unhappy about being on the run from the police, and they were all tired of being cooped up in a warehouse under Mike’s orders. Mike was the only person they could take it out on--and Mike was under heavy attack.

Two of the boys, surprisingly, seemed to side with him. The other five were trying to outshout them. Malone wondered if it would become a fight, and then realized that these kids could hardly fight each other when the one who was losing could always fade out.

He leaned over and whispered to Dorothea and Boyd, “Let’s sneak up there while the argument’s going on.”

“But--” Boyd began.

“Less chance of their noticing us,” Malone explained, and Started forward.

They tiptoed up the stairs and got behind a pile of crates in the shadows, while invective roared around them. This floor was lit by a single small bulb hanging from a socket in the ceiling. The windows were hung with heavy blankets to keep the light from shining out.

The kids didn’t notice anything except each other. Malone took a couple of deep breaths and began to look around.

All things considered, he thought, the kids had fixed the place up pretty nicely. The unused warehouse had practically been made over into an apartment. There were chairs, beds, tables, and everything else in the line of furnishings for which the kids could conceivably have any use. There were even some floor lamps scattered around, but they weren’t plugged in. Malone guessed that a job would have to be done on the warehouse wiring to get the floor lamps in operation, and the kids just hadn’t got around to it yet.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close