The Impossibles - Cover

The Impossibles

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 13

“Logically,” Malone said, “there has to be some way to catch them.” He looked around the hotel room as though he expected to find an answer painted in big black letters on the wall. “Logically,” he said again, and tried to think of what came next. He liked the sound of the word, but that was as far as it went.

“That’s fine,” Boyd said. He sat on a chair, staring gloomily at the floor and rubbing the bald spot on his chin with a single, sad, inquisitive forefinger. “There has to be an answer. You’re probably right. But what the hell is it?”

Malone started to answer, and then wondered what he had been going to say. He sunk himself in thought. There was a knock at the door. “Who’s there?” he called, glad of any relief at all.

“It’s me,” a small voice said. “Dorothea.”

“Come in,” Malone said.

The door opened. Dorothea came in, shut the door behind her, and looked around the room a little awkwardly.

“Did you get a good night’s sleep?” Malone said.

She nodded. “I guess so,” she said. “Sure. It was nice of you to get me a room for the night. I mean, I guess I was--well...”

“Forget it,” Malone said grandly. “You were upset and tired, that’s all. Hell, in the car on the way back here last night, you fainted.”

“I did not faint,” she said.

“Well,” Malone said, “you sure looked like--”

“I was tired,” Dorothea said.

Malone shrugged. “Okay. You were tired.”

“You’re not mad, are you,” she said, “because I stole your notebook?”

“Of course not,” Malone said. “I said forget it, didn’t I? Sit down and help us out.”

“Help you?” she said.

“That’s right,” Boyd said. “Help us figure out how to catch this bunch of maniacs before they steal everything in New York.”

Dorothea said, “Maniacs? I--” and Malone interrupted her in a hurry.

“Police Commissioner Fernack has called twice this morning already,” he said. “He’s screaming about all the burglaries that have been occurring since midnight last night.”

“Oh,” Dorothea said. “You mean the Spooks? Mike and the others? They’ve been stealing again?”

“They sure have, Miss Fueyo,” Boyd said.

“I guess they’re furnishing their new hideout,” Malone said. “Wherever it is. Only God knows.”

“And even if He told us,” Boyd said, “it wouldn’t do us any good. Chase ‘em out of there, and they’d go somewhere else.”

Malone stood up, fished for his cigarettes and lit one. “What we need,” he said, blowing out smoke, “is some way to trap ‘em and hold ‘em. And I don’t see how we can do either.”

“After last night,” Dorothea said, “I really don’t see--”

“Wait a minute,” Boyd said. “You said trap, didn’t you?” He looked slowly and speculatively at Dorothea Fueyo.

A second passed.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” she said. “Oh, no. Not on your life. I’ll help catch him if I can, because I know you don’t mean to hurt him or the others. But I wouldn’t want Mike to know about it. You’re not using me as bait in any trap.”

Boyd looked at Malone, shook his head slowly, and said disconsolately, “Well, it was an idea.” He returned his gaze to the floor.

The furtive gleam of the half bottle of bourbon on Malone’s dresser caught his eye. He’d had it sent up the night before, feeling the need of some medicinal refreshment. Now it winked at him. He ignored it resolutely. “Dorothea,” he said.

“Yes?”

“Dorothea, do you have any idea how far one of those kids can go when he teleports?”

“No,” Dorothea said. “I really haven’t any idea about any of it. Mike tried to teach me once, but I guess I just don’t have the talent.”

“Oh,” Malone said.

“I wish I could help,” Dorothea said.

Silence fell, and gloom followed it.

Time ticked by. The bourbon bottle resumed its seductive winking.

“There is one thing,” Dorothea said suddenly. “He did say one thing about it.”

“What?” Malone said eagerly.

“He said you couldn’t teleport to some place you haven’t been before. You’ve got to be able to visualize where you’re going.”

Malone said, “Hmm.” It seemed like the right answer. Dorothea’s statement was a fact, certainly, but he didn’t see how the fact fit in anywhere.

“He didn’t mention anything about distance, and I don’t think any of the Spooks ever tested it for that,” Dorothea said.

“There probably is a distance limit,” Malone said. “At least if Dr. O’Connor’s theories are right. I just wish I knew what the limit was.”

Silence fell again. Malone sighed. Dorothea sighed. Boyd sighed, looked around at the others and muttered, “Damn thing’s catching.” He got up and walked over to the dresser and picked up the bottle of bourbon.

“You, too?” Malone murmured, but Boyd didn’t hear him.

“I don’t care if it is early in the morning,” he said, resolutely. “I need a drink. I need something to take the fog out of my head, anyhow.” He poured himself a shot, held the bottle aloft, and said, “Dorothea? Malone?”

The girl shook her head.

Malone was tempted but he put Satan behind him with decision. “No,” he said firmly. “The way I feel now, one drink would probably immobilize me.”

Dorothea chuckled. “You sound just like Mike,” she said.

“Mike doesn’t drink in the morning either?” Malone said.

“Of course he doesn’t,” Boyd said. “Mike is a nice kid. A swell kid.”

“You keep quiet,” Dorothea shot at him. She turned back to Malone. “Mike never drinks at all,” she said. “He says it immobilizes him--just what you said.”

Somewhere in the black galactic depths of Malone’s mind, a very small hot star gulped, took a deep breath and became a supernova.

The light was tremendous! It shed beams over everything, beams of a positively supernal brilliance. And in the all-pervasive brightness of that single inner light, bits of data began to fall into place with all the precision of aerial bombs, each falling neatly and exactly into its own little predetermined bomb crater.

It was beautiful. It was magnificent. Malone felt all choked up.

None of the Silent Spooks drank. He remembered Kettleman telling him that. And the Queen never touched the stuff either.

“What’s wrong?” Boyd said.

“Malone, you look green.”

“I feel green,” Malone said. “I feel like newly sprung grass. I feel as if I had just hatched out of something. I feel wonderful.”

“It’s the strain,” Boyd said. “That’s what it is, strain. You’ve cracked at last.”

Malone ignored him. “Tell me,” he said to Dorothea with elaborate casualness, “when your brother says that, what does he mean?”

“What?” she said. “Oh, I don’t know. I--” She stopped and her eyes widened. “You don’t think that--”

“I don’t know,” Malone said. “But we can sure as hell find out.”

Dorothea blinked. “What can you do?” she said. “I mean, to find out. You can’t force them to drink or anything, can you?”

“No,” Malone said. “I can’t do that. But it does give me an idea.”

Boyd held his untasted drink in his hand, staring at Malone and the girl. “What are you two talking about?” he said. “Or is this the special Captain Midnight code? I left my code ring home this week.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close