The Onslaught From Rigel - Cover

The Onslaught From Rigel

Public Domain

Chapter 3: Rebellion

They whirled away to the east side of the city and up Second Avenue like a triumphal cortege, blissfully disregarding the dead traffic lights, though now and then they had to dodge the ruins of some truck or taxi that had come out second best from an argument with an elevated pillar where the driver’s hand had been frozen at the wheel. At Forty-ninth Street Ben’s car, in the lead, swung in to the curb and pulled up.

“What is it?”... “Is this the place?”... “Anything wrong?”

An illuminating voice floated up. “Electric store, get all the flashlights and batteries you can. We’re going to need them.”

A few moments later they were at the great institution, strangely dark and silent now after all its years of ministering to the sick, with a line of rust showing redly on the tall iron fence that surrounded the grounds. They trooped into the reception room, flickering their lights here and there like fireflies. Ben mounted a chair.

“Just a minute, folks,” he began. “I want to say something ... What we have to do here is build civilization up all over again. Undoubtedly there are more people alive--if not in New York, then in other places. We have two jobs--to get in touch with them and to find out what we can do. Mr. Beeville is going to find out about the second one for us, but we can do a lot without waiting for him.

“In the first place, there’s that funny-looking bird that we all saw and that chased Roberts. There may be others like it and a lot of new queer forms of animal life around that would be dangerous to us. Therefore, I think it’s in line to get some weapons. Miss Lami, you and Mr. Tholfsen are delegated to dig up a hardware store and find guns and cartridges ... Now for the rest, I’m open to suggestions.”

Everybody spoke at once. “Wait a minute,” said Ben. “Let’s take things in order. What was your idea, Mr. Stevens?”

“Organize regular search parties.”

“And a good idea, too. We don’t even need to wait for daylight. Everybody who can drive, get a car and trot along.”

“X-ray machines are going to be awfully useful in my work,” offered Beeville. “I wonder if there isn’t some way of getting enough current to run one.”

“As far as I remember, this building supplies its own current. Murray, you and Massey trot down and get a fire up under one of the boilers. Anything else?”

“Yes,” came from Dangerfield, the editor. “It seems to me that the first thing anyone else in the world would try to do if he found himself made into a tin doll like this is get hold of a radio. How about opening up a broadcasting station?”

“I don’t know whether you can get enough power, but you can try. Go to it. Do you know anything about radio?”

“A little.”

“All right. Pick whoever you want for an assistant and try it out. Any more ideas?”

“What day is it?” asked Ola Mae Roberts.

Nobody had thought of it, and it suddenly dawned on the assemblage that the last thing they remembered was when the snow on the roof-tops bespoke a chilly February, while now all the trees were in leaf and the air was redolent of spring.

“Why--I don’t know,” said Ben. “Anybody here got any ideas on how to find out?”

“It would take an experienced astronomer and some calculation to determine with accuracy,” said Beeville. “We’d better set an arbitrary date.”

“O. K. Then it’s May 1, 1947. That’s two years ahead of time, but it will take that long to find out what it really is.”

The assumption that sleep would be unnecessary proved correct. All night long, cars roared up to the door and away again on their quests. The number of people found was small--the cream had apparently been gathered that morning. O’Hara brought in a metallic scrubwoman from one of the downtown buildings, the tines that represented her teeth showing stains of rust where she had incautiously drunk water; Stevens turned up with a slow-voiced young man who proved to be Georgios Pappagourdas, the attaché of the Greek consulate whose name had been in the papers in connection with a sensational divorce case; and Mrs. Roberts came in with two men, one of them J. Sterling Vanderschoof, president of the steamship lines which bore his name.

At dawn Dangerfield came in. He had set up a powerful receiving set by means of storage batteries but could find no messages on the air, and could find no source of power sufficient for him to broadcast.

The morning, therefore, saw another and somewhat less optimistic conference. As it was breaking up Ben said, “You Tholfsen, take Stevens, Vanderschoof and Lee and get a truck, will you? You’ll find one about half a block down the street. Go up to one of the coal pits and get some fuel for our boilers here. We haven’t too large a supply.”

There was a clanking of feet as they left and Ben turned into the laboratory where Beeville was working, with the scrubwoman as a subject.

“Something interesting here,” said the naturalist, looking up as he entered. “The outer surface of this metal appears to be rust-proof, but when you get water on the inside, things seem to go. It acts like a specially annealed compound of some kind. And look--” He seized one of the arms of his subject, who gazed at him with mildly unresisting eyes, and yanked at the outer layer of metal bands that composed it. The band stretched like one of rubber, and she gave a slight squeal as it snapped back into position. “I don’t know of any metal that has that flexibility. Do you? Why--”


The door swung open and they turned to see Murray and Tholfsen.

“Beg pardon for interrupting the sacred panjandrum,” said the former, “but Stevens and Vanderschoof are indulging in a sulk. They don’t want to play with us.”

“Oh, hell,” remarked Ben cheerfully and started for the door, the other two following him.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close