The Onslaught From Rigel
Chapter 7: An Exploration

Public Domain

There was a moment’s silence as the Australian captain steadied himself against the roll of the vessel, staring incredulously at the group that gathered round him.

“Are you--human?” he finally managed to gasp.

“If we aren’t somebody’s been kidding us,” said Gloria, irreverently. “But are you? You’re all blue!”

“Of course,” said the captain. “It was the comet. We knew it struck in America somewhere but didn’t know where or what it did. What’s the matter with your ship?” He indicated the wrecked and leaking bow. “She seems to be down by the head.”

“Oh, that was a valentine from the birds,” said Ben. “Can you give us quarters on your vessel? There aren’t many of us.”

Captain Entwhistle seemed to come out of a dream. “Of course, of course. Come on. We can discuss things better in my cabin.”

As they mounted to the deck of the Brisbane, even the trained sailors, the light blue of their faces oddly at variance with the dark blue of their uniforms, could not refrain from staring at the colonists. They crowded into the captain’s cabin past rows of eager blue faces.

“I suggest,” said Captain Entwhistle, “that we begin by telling each other how this happened. I can scarcely credit the fact that you are human and can walk and talk. Would any of you care for a whiskey and soda?”

“No, thanks,” said Murray, the spirit of fun stirring in him, “but I’ll have a drink of lubricating oil if you can find any.”

The naval officer looked at him, and remarked, a trifle stiffly, “Certainly, if you wish. Williams--”

“Oh, don’t mind him,” Ben Ruby cut in. “Pardon me, Captain, he can drink lubricating oil perfectly well, but he’s just joking with you. You were saying about the comet--”

“Why, you knew that the big comet struck the earth as predicted, didn’t you? It was on the morning of February sixteenth, last year--evening of February fifteenth by American time. Even in our country, which is around on the other side of the earth, it caused a good deal of damage. The gases it set free put everybody to sleep and caused a lot of wreckage. Our scientists say the gases of the comet in some unexplained way altered the iron in the hæmoglobin of our blood to cobalt. It seems to work just as well, but that’s why we’re all blue. I don’t quite understand it myself, but you know how these medical Johnnies are. Now what happened to you people?”

“May I ask something first?” said Beeville. “What day is this?”

“August eighteenth, 1946,” said the captain as though slightly baffled by the question.

“Good God!” said the scientist. “Then we were there for over a year!”

“Yes,” said Ben. “All of us you see here and several others returned to consciousness about the same time, two months ago. We know nothing of what the comet did to us or how this change occurred except that when we woke up we were just what you see. Dr. Beeville has been experimenting with a view to finding out what happened, but he hasn’t made much progress so far. All we know is that we’re composed of metal that doesn’t rust easily, make our meals off electricity, and find the taste of any kind of oil agreeable. And the birds--” he broke off with a gesture.

“Oh, yes, the birds,” said the captain. “Have they been annoying you, too? That’s one of the reasons, aside from exploration, why we’re here. I assume you mean the big four-winged birds that we call dodos down under. We haven’t seen much of them, but occasionally they come and fly away with a sheep or even a man. One of our aviators chased one several hundred miles out to sea recently and we had assumed they came from one of the islands. Our scientists don’t know what to make of them.”

“Neither do ours, except that they’re an unadulterated brand of hell,” put in Murray. “We were all living in New York, snug as bugs in a rug, when they began dropping incendiary bombs on us and carrying off anyone they could get hold of.”

“Including this insignificant person,” said Yoshio, proudly.

“Incendiary bombs! Do you mean to tell me they have intelligence enough for that?”

“I’ll tell the cockeyed world they have! Did you see the prow of our ship? That’s where one of their little presents got home. If anyone had been there, he wouldn’t be anything but scrap iron now. If you really want to find out what it’s all about come on up to New York, but get ready for the fight of your life.”

The captain leaned back, sipping his drink meditatively. “Do you know,” he said, “that’s just what I was thinking of doing? Frankly your story is all but incredible, but here you are as proof of it and you don’t seem to be robots, except in appearance.”

“Oh, boy,” whispered Murray to Gloria, “wait till these babies get after the birds with their eight-inch guns. They’ll wish they’d never heard of us. I’m glad I’m going to be on hand to see the fun.”

“Yeh, but maybe the birds will have something up their feathers, too,” she replied. “I wouldn’t like to place any bets. We thought we had them licked when we got the destroyer and now look at us.”

“Well, I’m willing to try an attack, or at least a reconnaissance of them,” said the captain. “Just now we’re in the position of an armed exploring party. The Australian government has sent out several ships to see what it could find on the other continents. After the comet struck all the cables went dead. We got into radio communication with the Dutch colonial stations at Batavia and later with South Africa, but the rest of the world is just being re-explored and my commission authorizes me to resist unfriendly acts. I think you could call an incendiary bomb an unfriendly act.”


His eyes twinkled over this mild witticism, and the party broke up with a scraping of chairs. A couple of hours later, the blue line of Sandy Hook was visible, and then the vague cliffs of the New York skyscrapers. The clouds had cleared away after the rain of the last few days; not even a speck of mist hung in the air and everything stood out bright and clear. The colonists felt a pang of emotion grip them as they watched the tall towers of the city rise over the horizon, straight and beautiful as they had always stood, but now without a sign of life or motion, all the busy clamor of the place hushed forever.

Of the tetrapteryxes or “dodos” as the Australian had called them, there was no sign. The sky bent high, unbrokenly blue, not a flicker of motion in it. Murray Lee felt someone stir at his side and looked round.

“Oh, damn,” said Gloria Rutherford, “it’s so beautiful that I want to cry. Did you ever feel like that?”

He nodded silently... “And those birds--isn’t it a shame somehow that they should have the most beautiful city in the world?”

The shrill of a whistle cut off his words. With marvelous, machine-like precision, the sailors moved about the decks. The Brisbane lost way, came to a halt, and there was a rush of steel as the anchor ran out. Captain Entwhistle came down from the bridge.

“I don’t see anything of your dodos yet,” he said. “Do you think it would be wise to send out a landing party, Mr. Ruby?”

“Most certainly not,” said Ben. “You don’t know what you’re up against yet. Wait till they come round. You’ll have plenty to do.”

The captain shrugged. Evidently he was not at all unwilling to match the Australian navy against anything the dodos might do. “Very well, I’ll accept your advice for the present, Mr. Ruby. It is near evening in any case. But if there is no sign of them in the morning, I propose to land and look over the city.”

But the landing was never accomplished.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close