The Onslaught From Rigel - Cover

The Onslaught From Rigel

Public Domain

Chapter 19: The Gravity Beam

“A gravity beam!” they ejaculated together in tones varying from incredulity to simple puzzlement. “What’s that?”

“Well, it’ll take quite a bit of explaining, but I’ll drop out the technical part of it ... You see, it’s like this--You remember old man Einstein, the frizzy-hair Frisian, demonstrated that magnetism and gravity are the same thing down underneath? And that some of the astronomers and physicists have said that both magnetism and light are the same thing? That is, forms of vibration. Well, one of the things I picked up from the lads in this Lassan city was that light, matter, electricity, gravitation, magnetism and the whole works, are the same thing in different forms.

“They’ve just jumped one step beyond Einstein. Now, they’ve got a way of producing, or mining, pure light, that is, pure matter in its simplest form. When it’s released from pressure it becomes material and raises hell all over the shop. How they get the squeeze on it, I can’t say. Anyway, it isn’t important.”

“Very interesting lecture--very,” commented Gloria, gravely.

“You pipe down and listen to your betters till they get through,” Sherman went on. “Children should be seen, not heard. But what I’ve got here is a piece of permalloy. Under certain magnetic conditions it defies gravity. Now if we can screen gravity that way, why can’t we concentrate it, too?”

“Why not? Except that nobody ever did it and nobody knows how,” said Ben Ruby.

“Well, here’s the catch. We can do anything we want to with gravity if we go about it right. What is it in chemical atoms that has weight? It’s the positive charge, isn’t it? The nucleus. And it’s balanced by the negative charges, the electrons, that revolve around it. Now if we can find a way to pull some of these negative charges loose from a certain number of atoms of a substance, there are going to be a whole lot of positive charges floating around without anything to bite on. And if we can shoot them at something, it’s going to have more positive charges than it can stand. And when that happens, the something is going to get awful heavy, and there are going to be exchanges of negative charges among all the positive charges, and things are going to pop.”

“Yes, yes,” said Ben. “But what good does all this do? Give us the real dope on how you’re going to do it.”

“Well, with what I picked up from the Lassans, I think I know. They know all about light and mechanics, but they’re rotten chemists, and don’t realize how good a thing they’ve got in lots of ways. Now look--if you throw a beam of radiations from a cathode tube into finely divided material you break up some of the atoms. Well, all we have to do is get an extra-powerful cathode tube, break up a lot of atoms, and then deliver the positive charges from them onto whatever we’re going for. That would be your gravity beam.”

“How are you going to get radiation powerful enough to split up enough atoms to do you any good?” inquired Ben.

“Easy. Use a radium cathode. The Lassans have the stuff, but never think of using it seriously. They think it’s an amusing by-product in their pure light mines, and just play round with it. Nobody ever used it before on earth, because it was too expensive for such foolishness, but with so many less people around, we can get some without too much trouble, I guess.”

“Mmm. Sounds possible,” said Ben. “That is, in theory. I’d like to see it work in practice. How are you going to throw this beam?”

“Cinch. Down a beam of light. Light will conduct sound or radio waves even through a vacuum and this stuff I’m sending isn’t so very different. Whatever we hit will act as an amplifier and spread the effect through the whole body.”

“Boy, you want to be careful you don’t blow up the earth,” said Murray Lee. “Well, Gloria, I guess we’re indicated to go out and dig up some radium. Let’s fool them by going before they ask us. There ought to be a supply in some of the hospitals.”

They rose and the other two plunged into an excited and highly technical discussion. When they returned, the workmen had already constructed a black box, not unlike an enormous camera in shape, in the center of the floor. At its back and attached to it, stood a stand fitted with a series of enormous clamps. Ben and Sherman were at a bench, working blowpipes, and shaping the delicate, iridescent glass of a long tube with a bulge at its center.

“Here you are,” said Murray Lee. “I had to row with the Surgeon-General of the Dutch Colonial contingent to get this. He wanted to use it on some tuberculosis experiment. But I convinced him that he wouldn’t be worrying about ‘t. b.’ if the Lassans came out of their hole and stood the army on its head. How goes the job?”

“Swell,” said Sherman. “Now you children run along and play. We’re busy. We won’t be finished with this thing before tomorrow afternoon, if then.”

As a matter of fact it was the next evening before Murray and Gloria were summoned back to the laboratory. The device they had seen was now mounted on a stand of its own, with long ropes of electrical connections running back from it, and had been pushed back to the end of the room. Opposite it was another stand with a two-foot square piece of sheet iron resting on a chair in its center. The lens of the big camera was pointed in that direction.

“Now,” said Sherman, “watch your uncle and see what happens.”


He turned a switch; the tube at the back of the apparatus lit up with a vivid violet glow and a low humming sound filled the room.

“I decided to use powdered lead in the box,” he explained. “It is the heaviest metal there is available, and gives us the largest number of nuclei to project.”

A second switch was thrown in and a beam of light leaped from the camera and struck in the center of the iron sheet, producing merely a mild white illumination.

“Poof!” said Gloria. “That isn’t such a much. I could do that with a flashlight.”

“Right you are. I haven’t let her go yet. Hold your breath now.”

He bent over, drove a plunger home. For just a second the only visible effect was a slight intensification of the beam of light. Then there was a report like a thunder-clap; a dazzling ball of fire appeared on the stand; a cloud of smoke, and Murray and Gloria found themselves sitting on the floor. The iron plate had completely vanished; so had the chair, all but two of its legs, which, lying in the center of the stand, were burning brightly. The acrid odor of nitrogen dioxide filled the room.

“Golly,” said Ben Ruby, seizing a fire extinguisher from the wall and turning it on the blaze. “That’s even more than we expected. Look, it made a hole right through the wall! We’ll have to keep that thing tied up.”

“I’ll say you will,” said Murray, helping Gloria up. “It’s as bad for the guy that’s using it as the one at the other end. But seriously, you’ve got something good there. What happened to the iron plate?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close