The Onslaught From Rigel
Chapter 23: Into the Depths

Public Domain

The Monitor turned again, speeding back toward the remaining Lassan ships; with a startling shock of surprise, Gloria noticed that there were only two. Down below them one of the last three American rocket-cruisers had spread her wings and was gliding gently toward the earth. Like the Monitor’s, her crew had evidently found the lightning flash worthless at the enormous altitude and was abandoning the battle till conditions became more favorable. The other rocket remained faithful; turned as they turned and charged up with them toward the last of the Lassans.

It was a weird scene. They had climbed so far that the earth was now perceptibly round beneath them; a vague line marked the westward progress of the sunset and beyond it the sun, an immense yellow ball, set with a crown of vividly red flames, hung in the inky-black heavens. On the opposite side, the stars, more brilliant and greater in number than any ever before viewed by the eye of man, made the sky a carpet of light across which the green globes moved like shadows, their undersides illumined by the sun.

As the Monitor approached, the nearest globe seemed to be turning on its axis. Suddenly, out of the side that faced them, came the quick, stabbing beam of the light-ray, like the flicker of a sword. It struck the Monitor full on the prow. There was a burning rain of sparks past the windows; the rocket-ship leaped and quivered, and those within felt, rather than saw, something give. Then, with a tremendous explosion, all the more horrible because utterly without sound, the great globe that had thrown the ray, burst into fragments.

And at the same moment the Monitor began to fall. Down, down, down went the rocket-cruiser with the round ball of the earth rising to meet them at a speed incredible. The sun went out; they were swallowed in a purple twilight as they plunged. The earth changed from a ball to a dish, from a dish to a plane, from a plane to a dark mass without form, and in the mass vague lights and glimmerings of water came out, and still their course was unchecked, still Sherman fought frantically with the useless controls.

Desperately Murray pressed the firing keys of the stern-rockets; unchecked she drove on, almost straight down, plunging to certain destruction. The earth loomed nearer, nearer, the end seemed inevitable--.

Then Gloria saved them. In some moment of inspiration, she threw on the searchlight; and the automatic connection fired the gravity-beam. There was a shattering report; the course of the Monitor was halted, and bruised and broken, she tumbled over and over to the ground, safe but ruined.

“Suffering Lassans!” said Ben Ruby, as they picked themselves out of the wreckage, “but that was a jar. What hit us, anyway?”

Sherman pointed to Gloria, breathlessly. “Give the little girl a hand,” he ejaculated. “She sure pulled us out of the fire that time.”

“I’ll say she did,” said Murray, “but what happened, anyway? I thought that light-ray of theirs wouldn’t work on these ships.”

“It won’t--in air,” said Sherman ruefully, surveying the wreck of the Monitor. “But the air blankets down the effect a lot. Out there we got the whole dose. Even then it shouldn’t have hurt us so seriously, but I expect a lot of our lead sheathing got jarred loose when we went through those yellow rays and when they let that light-ray go, she leaked all over the place. Wonder what made that Lassan ship blow up like that, though? I thought she sure had us.”

“Oh,” said Ben, “I think maybe I did that. When the light-ray came on it occurred to me that the gravity-beam might go down their beam of light just as fast as it would down ours, and they must have a port-hole or something through their gravity-screen or they couldn’t let the ray out. So I just let them have it.”

“Boy, you sure saved the lives of four of Uncle Sam’s flying men that time. About one second more of that stuff and we’d have cracked up right there. Look at the front of our bus. The outer plating is all caved in and the inner is starting to go.”

“She is pretty well used up isn’t she? What gets me though, is that there’s one more of those things loose.”

“Look!” cried Gloria suddenly, pointing upward.

Far in the zenith above them they saw a point of light; a point that grew and spread and became definite as a great star; then it became a shooting star, plunging earthward, and so great was its speed that even as they watched they could make out a green fragment, flame-wrapped in its midst.

“The last one!” said Sherman. “Thank God for that. Wonder how they got her?”

“Wonder what we do next,” remarked Murray, practically.

They looked about them. They were on a hillside in a little clearing in a high, narrow valley. On every side were woods, dark and impenetrable. Just below they could hear the purl of a brook, and the trees about them were bare with the dark bareness of spring, a few fugitive buds being the only announcement that the season of growing was at hand. No landmarks, no roads were visible, and the sky was darkening fast.

“The question,” said Gloria, “is not where do we go, but where are we going from.”

“It might be most anywhere,” remarked Murray. “Adirondacks, Catskills, or even Laurentians. I don’t think we got far enough west for it to be the Blue Ridge or the Appalachians, but there’s no way of telling.”

“Well,” Gloria offered, “I’ve been in a lot of mountains in my day, but I never saw any where following a stream didn’t take you somewhere sooner or later. I vote we trail along with that brook there and see what happens.”

“Bright thought,” commented Ben. “Let’s see what we can dig out of the wreck by way of weapons.”

“What for? There aren’t any animals, and they couldn’t hurt you if there were. If we meet any of the Lassans any weapon you got out of that mess wouldn’t be much use. Wish we had a flashlight though.”

Treading carefully, but with a good deal of noise and confusion, they began to crash their way through the underbrush along the bank of the stream. At the foot of the valley it dived over a diminutive waterfall and then tumbled into another similar brook. Along the combined streams ran a road--a dirt road originally, now long untraveled, muddy and bad, but still a road.

An hour’s walking brought them around the foot of another mountain and into a valley where the road divided before a projecting buttress of rock. A teetering sign-post stood at the fork. With some trouble, and after getting himself immersed to the knees in the ditch, Murray managed to reach it and straining his eyes in the starlight, made out what it said. “THIS WAY TO HAMILTON’S CHICKEN DINNERS. 1 MILE” it read. With a snort of disgust he hurled the deceitful guidepost into the ditch and joined the others.

“Toss a coin,” someone suggested. No coins. A knife was flipped up instead. It fell heads and in accordance with its decision they took the road to the right. It led them along beside the stream for a while, then parted company with it and began to climb, and they soon found themselves at the crest of the hill. The night had become darker and darker, clouding over. But for the road they would have been completely lost. Finally, after skirting the hillcrest for a distance, the road dipped abruptly, and as it did so, they passed out of the forest into a region cleared but not cultivated, with numerous close-cut stumps coming right to the roadside.

“But for the fact that it’s a long ways away,” remarked Sherman, “I would say that this was the district around the Lassan headquarters.”

“What makes you think it’s a long ways away?” asked Gloria. “Do you know where we are? Neither do I.”

“By the nine gods of Clusium, I believe that’s it, at that!” said Sherman suddenly as the road turned past a place where a long scar of earth ran up the hillside, torn and blackened. “Look--that looks exactly like the result of one of our gravity-beam shots! And there--isn’t that the door?”

They were on the hillside now, directly above the place he had indicated. From above and in the darkness it appeared as a cliff, breaking down rapidly to the valley, but Sherman led them to one side, straight down the hill and in another moment they were at its base. The great door through which the green balls had poured out that evening stood before them, a mighty arch reaching up into the dimness--and it was open.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close