The Revolt on Venus - Cover

The Revolt on Venus

Public Domain

Chapter 12

“You’re right, Tom,” said Major Connel. “They must be around here somewhere. Start looking. If they’re not here, it may mean he’s still alive.”

It was Tom who had thought of looking for Astro’s weapons. Refusing to believe that his unit mate had been killed, the curly-haired cadet was examining the torn jungle suit when the idea occurred to him.

Quickly Roger, Connel, and Tom spread out over the trampled area, searching the underbrush for Astro’s paralo-ray pistol or shock rifle. Connel examined the underbrush and vines closely for scorch marks made by the blaster. Finding none, he rejoined the boys.

“Well?” he asked.

“Nothing, sir,” replied Roger.

“Can’t find them, Major,” said Tom.

Connel smacked his fists together and spoke excitedly. “I’m sure Astro wouldn’t be caught unawares by a couple of things like a snake or a tyrannosaurus without putting up a fight. If he was attacked suddenly, he would have fired at least one shot, and if it went wild, it would have burned the vines and brush around here. You didn’t find his weapons, and there are no scorched areas. I’ll stake my life on it, Astro’s alive!”

Roger’s and Tom’s faces brightened. They knew Connel had no proof, but they were willing to believe anything that would keep their hopes for their giant unit mate alive.

“Now,” said Connel, “assuming he is not dead, and that he is somewhere in the jungle, we have to figure out what he would do.”

Roger was thoughtful a moment. “How long would he last without his jungle suit, sir?”

“What do you mean?” asked Connel.

Tom’s eyes lit up. “If he’s alive, sir, then he’s probably following a path or trail that would keep him away from heavy underbrush,” he said.

Connel thought a moment. “There’s only one trail away from here.” He turned and pointed to the trail made by the tyrannosaurus. “That one.”

The three spacemen stared at the wide path left by the huge beast. Connel hesitated. “It’s due north,” he said finally. “We’ve come a full day west and should be making a turn north. We’ll follow the tyrannosaurus’s trail for a full day.”

Roger and Tom grinned. They knew Connel was making every effort to find Astro, while still keeping his mission in mind.

The three spacemen moved along the trail quickly, eyes alert for any sign Astro might have left. Connel saw the great bloodstains left by the tyrannosaurus and cautioned the two cadets. “This tyranno is wounded pretty badly. It might be heading back for its lair, but it might not make it, and stop along the way. Be careful and keep your eyes open for any sign that he might have--”

Connel was stopped by Tom’s sudden cry. “Major! Look!”

Connel turned and stared. A thousand yards ahead of them on the broken trail they saw the monstrous bulk of a tyrannosaurus emerge from the gloom.

“By the rings of Saturn,” breathed Connel, “that’s the one!”

The great beast spotted the three Earthmen at the same instant. It raised itself on its hind legs, and shaking its massive head in anger, started to charge down its own trail toward them.

“Disperse!” cried Connel. “Take cover!”

Tom and Roger darted to one side of the trail while Connel dived for the other. Taking cover behind a tree, the boys turned and pointed their rifles down the trail. They saw that the tyrannosaurus had already covered half the distance between them.

“Aim for the legs!” shouted Connel, from his place of concealment. “Don’t try for a head shot! He’s moving too fast! Give it to him in the legs. Try to cut him down!”

Roger and Tom lay flat on the ground and trained their rifles on the approaching beast.

“I’ll take the right leg,” said Roger. “You take the left, Tom.”

“On target!” replied Tom, squinting through the sight.

“Ready!” Connel’s voice roared across the trail.

Only a hundred and fifty feet away the tyrannosaurus, hearing Connel’s voice, suddenly stopped. Its head weaved back and forth as though it suspected a trap.

“Fire!” roared Connel.

Tom and Roger fired together, but at the same moment the monster lunged toward Connel’s position. Both shots missed, the energy charges merely scorching its sides.

The tyrannosaurus roared with anger and turned toward the boys, head down and the claws of its short forelegs extended.

At that moment Connel opened fire, aiming for the monster’s vulnerable neck. But it was well protected behind its shoulders and the spaceman only succeeded in drawing the beast’s attention back to himself.

At this instant Tom and Roger opened fire again, sending violent shock charges into the beast’s hide. Caught in the withering cross fire, it turned blindly on the boys and charged at them. The two cadets fired coolly, rapidly, unable to miss the great bulk. The air became acrid with the sharp odor of ionized air. Maddened now beyond the limits of its endurance, hit at least twenty times and wild with pain, the great king of the Venusian jungle bore down on the two cadets.

Roger and Tom saw that their fire was not going to stop the tyrannosaurus’s charge. They were pouring a nearly steady stream of fire into the monster now, while on the other side of the trail Connel was doing the same, raking the monstrous hulk from the forelegs to the hindquarters.

The boys jumped back, Tom still facing the beast and firing his rifle from the waist. But Roger stumbled in the tangle of the underbrush and fell backward, dropping his rifle. The beast’s head swooped low, jaws open.

Seeing Roger’s danger, Tom jumped downward again without hesitation and fired point-blank at the beast’s scaly head, only ten feet away.

The monster roared in sudden agony and pulled back, jerking his head up against a thick branch of the tree overhead. The limb tore loose under the impact and fell crashing to the ground on top of Roger.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close