The Revolt on Venus - Cover

The Revolt on Venus

Public Domain

Chapter 19

“Ready?” asked Connel.

“All set, sir,” replied Tom.

“Remember, we’ll open up in exactly five minutes and we’ll continue to attack for another seven minutes. That’s all the time you have to get inside, find Roger, and get out again.”

“I understand, sir,” replied Tom.

“Move out,” said Connel, “and spaceman’s luck!”

With a last quick glance at Astro who gave him a reassuring nod, Tom dropped to his knees and crawled out from behind their hidden position. Dropping flat on his stomach, he inched forward toward the administration building. All around him ray guns and blasters were firing with regularity as the columns of Marines advanced from all sides of the canyon toward the center, mopping up everything in front of them. The roof of the administration building seemed a solid sheet of fire as the Nationalist leaders fought back desperately.

He reached the side of the building that was windowless, and scrambled toward the back door without interference. There he saw five green-clad men, crouched behind sandbags, protecting the rear entrance. Glancing at his watch he saw the sweeping hand tick off the last few seconds of his allotted time. At the exact instant it hit the five-minute mark, there was a sudden burst of activity at the front of the building. Connel and the Marine patrol had opened fire in a mock attack. The men guarding the rear left their barricade and raced into the building to meet the new assault.

Without a second’s hesitation, Tom jumped toward the door. He reached up, found it unlocked, and then with his ray gun ready, kicked the door open. He rushed in and dived to the floor, ray gun in his hand, ready to freeze anything or anyone in sight.

The hall was empty. In the front, the firing continued and the halls of the building echoed loudly with the frantic commands of the defenders. Gliding along the near wall, Tom moved slowly forward. Before him, a door was ajar and he eased toward it. On tiptoe the curly-haired cadet inched around the edge of the door and glanced inside. He saw a Nationalist guard on his hands and knees loading empty shock rifles. Tom quickly stepped inside and jammed his gun in the man’s back. “Freeze!” he said between his teeth.

The trooper tensed, then relaxed, and slowly raised his hands.

“Where’s the sick bay?” demanded Tom.

“On the second floor, at the end of the hall.”

“Is that where you’re keeping Cadet Manning?” demanded Tom.

“Yes,” replied the man. “He’s--”

Tom fired before the trooper could finish. It was rough, but he knew he had to act swiftly if he was to help Roger. The trooper was frozen in his kneeling position, and Tom scooped up a loaded shock rifle before slipping back into the hall. It was still empty. The firing outside seemed to be increasing.

He located the stairs, and after a quick but careful check, started up, heart pounding, guns ready. On the second floor he glanced up and down the hall, and jumped back into the stair well quickly. Firing from an open window, three troopers were between him and the only door at the end of the hall. Not sure if Roger was in that room or not, Tom had to make sure by looking. And the only way he could do that was to eliminate the men in his way. He dropped to one knee and took careful aim with the ray pistol. It would be tricky at such long range, but should the paralo-ray fail, the cadet was prepared to use the shock rifle. He fired, and for a breathless second waited for the effects of the ray on the troopers. Then he saw the men go rigid and he smiled. Three hundred feet with a ray pistol was very fancy shooting!

He raced for the door. As he entered the room, he saw a figure stretched out on the floor. He stopped still, cold fear clutching at his heart.

“Roger!” he called. The blond-haired cadet didn’t move. Tom jumped to his unit mate’s side and dropped to one knee beside him. It was dark in the room and he couldn’t see very well, but there was no need for light when he felt Roger’s pulse.

“Frozen, by the stars!” he exclaimed. He stepped back, flipped the neutralizer switch on his ray gun, and fired a short burst. Almost immediately Roger groaned, blinked his eyes, and sat up.

“Roger! Are you all right?” asked Tom.

“Yeah--sure. I’m O.K.,” mumbled his unit mate. “Those dirty space rats. They didn’t know what to do with me when the Marines landed, so they froze me. They were scared to kill me. Afraid of reprisals.”

“They sure used their heads that time,” said Tom with a grin. “How’s your back?”

“Fine. I just wrenched it a little. It’s better now. But never mind me. What’s going on? Where’s Astro and Major Connel? And how did you get here?”

Tom gave him a quick run-down on everything that had happened, concluding with, “Major Connel and Astro, with a patrol of Solar Guard Marines, are outside now drawing the Nationalist fire. Time’s running out on us fast. Think you can walk?”

“Spaceboy,” replied Roger, “to get out of this place I’d crawl on my hands and knees!”

“Then come on!” Tom gave the shock rifle to his unit mate and stepped back into the hall. It was quiet. Tom waved at Roger to follow and slipped down the hall toward the stairs. Outside, the Marine patrol continued firing, never letting up for a second. The two boys reached the stairs and had started down when Tom grabbed Roger by the arm. “There’s someone moving around down there!”

They hugged the wall and held their breath. Tom glanced at his watch. Only forty-five seconds to go before the Marines would stop firing and retire. They had to get out of the building!

“We’ll have to take a chance, Roger,” murmured Tom. “We’ll try to rush them and fight our way out.”

“Don’t bother!” said a harsh voice behind them. The two cadets spun around and looked back toward the second floor. Standing at the top of the stairs, Rex Sinclair scowled down at them, ray guns in each hand, leveled at the two cadets.

“By the craters of Luna!” cried Roger. “You!”

“That’s one of the things I forgot to tell you, Roger,” said Tom wryly. “Sinclair belongs to this outfit too!”

“Belongs!” roared Roger. “Look at that white uniform he’s wearing! This yellow rat is Lactu, the head of the whole Nationalist movement!”

Tom gaped at the white-clad figure at the head of the stairs. “The leader!” he gasped.

“Quite right, Corbett,” replied Sinclair quietly. “And if it hadn’t been for three nosy cadets, I would have been the leader of the whole planet. But it’s finished now. All that is left for me is escape. And you two are going to help me do just that!”

Roger suddenly dropped to one knee and leveled the blaster. But the Nationalist leader was too quick. His paralo-ray crackled and Roger was frozen solid.

“Why, you--!” roared Tom.

“Drop your gun, Corbett,” warned Sinclair, “and take that blaster away from him.”

“I’ll get you, Sinclair,” said Tom through clenched teeth, “and when I do--”

“Stop the talk and get busy!” snapped Sinclair.

Tom took the blaster out of Roger’s paralyzed hands and dropped it on the floor. Still holding one ray gun on Tom, Sinclair flipped on the neutralizer of the other gun and released Roger again.

“Now get moving down those stairs!” ordered Sinclair. “One more funny move out of either of you and I’ll do more than just freeze you.”

“What are you going to do with us?” asked Roger.

“As I said, you are going to help me escape. This time the Solar Guard has won. But there are other planets, other people who need strong leadership and who like to put on uniforms and play soldier. People will always find reason to rebel against authority, and I will be there to channel their frustrations into my own plans. Perhaps it will be Mars. Or Ganymede. Or even Titan. Another name, another plan, and once again the Solar Guard will have to fight me. Only next time, I assure you, it is I who will win!”

“There won’t be any next time,” growled Roger. “You’re washed up now. This base is swarming with Marines. How do you think you’re going to get out of here?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close