Dr. Heidenhoff's Process - Cover

Dr. Heidenhoff's Process

Public Domain

Chapter 5

Now, Henry had not chanced to be at church that first Sunday evening when Cordis obtained an introduction to Madeline, nor was he at Fanny Miller’s teaparty. Of the rapidly progressing flirtation between his sweetheart and the handsome drug-clerk he had all this time no suspicion whatever.

Spending his days from dawn to sunset in the shop among men, he was not in the way of hearing gossip on that sort of subject; and Laura, who ordinarily kept him posted on village news, had, deemed it best to tell him as yet nothing of her apprehensions. She was aware that the affection between her brother and Madeline was chiefly on his side, and knew enough of her wilfulness to be sure that any attempted interference by him would only make matters worse. Moreover, now that she had warned Cordis that Madeline was pre-empted property, she hoped he would turn his attention elsewhere.

And so, while half the village was agog over the flirtation of the new drug-clerk with Madeline Brand, and Laura was lying awake nights fretting about it, Henry went gaily to and from his work in a state of blissful ignorance. And it was very blissful. He was exultant over the progress he had made in his courtship at the picnic. He had told his love--he had kissed her. If he had not been accepted, he had, at least, not been rejected, and that was a measure of success quite enough to intoxicate so ardent and humble a lover as he. And, indeed, what lover might not have taken courage at remembering the sweet pity that shone in her eyes at the revelation of his love-lorn state? The fruition of his hopes, to which he had only dared look forward as possibly awaiting him somewhere in the dim future, was, maybe, almost at hand. Circumstances combined to prolong these rose-tinted dreams. A sudden press of orders made it necessary to run the shop till late nights. He contrived with difficulty to get out early one evening so as to call on Madeline; but she had gone out, and he failed to see her. It was some ten days after the picnic that, on calling a second time, he found her at home. It chanced to be the very evening of the day on which the conversation between Madeline and Cordis, narrated in the last Chapter, had taken place.

She did not come in till Henry had waited some time in the parlour, and then gave him her hand in a very lifeless way. She said she had a bad head-ache, and seemed disposed to leave the talking to him. He spoke of the picnic, but she rather sharply remarked that it was so long ago that she had forgotten all about it. It did seem very long ago to her, but to him it was very fresh. This cool ignoring of all that had happened that day in modifying their relations at one blow knocked the bottom out of all his thinking for the past week, and left him, as it were, all in the air. While he felt that the moment was not propitious for pursuing that topic, he could not for the moment turn his mind to anything else, and, as for Madeline, it appeared to be a matter of entire indifference to her whether anything further was said on any subject. Finally, he remarked, with an effort to which the result may appear disproportionate--

“Mr. Taylor has been making quite extensive alterations on his house, hasn’t he?”

“I should think you ought to know, if any one. You pass his house every day,” was her response.

“Why, of course I know,” he said, staring at her.

“So I thought, but you said ‘hasn’t he?’ And naturally I presumed that you were not quite certain.”

She was evidently quizzing him, but her face was inscrutable. She looked only as if patiently and rather wearily explaining a misunderstanding. As she played with her fan, she had an unmistakable expression of being slightly bored.

“Madeline, do you know what I should say was the matter with you if you were a man?” he said, desperately, yet trying to laugh.

“Well, really”--and her eyes had a rather hard expression--”if you prefer gentlemen’s society, you’d better seek it, instead of trying to get along by supposing me to be a gentleman.”

“It seems as if I couldn’t say anything right,” said Henry.

“I think you do talk a little strangely,” she admitted, with a faint smile. Her look was quite like that of an uncomplaining martyr.

“What’s the matter with you to-night, Madeline? Tell me, for God’s sake!” he cried, overcome with sudden grief and alarm.

“I thought I told you I had a headache, and I really wish you wouldn’t use profane language,” she replied, regarding him with lack-lustre eyes.

“And that’s all? It’s only a headache?”

“That’s quite enough, I’m sure. Would you like me to have toothache besides?”

“You know I didn’t mean that.”

“Well, earache, then?” she said, wearily, allowing her head to rest back on the top of her chair, as if it were too much of an effort to hold it up, and half shutting her eyes.

“Excuse me, I ought not to have kept you. I’ll go now.”

“Don’t hurry,” she observed, languidly.

“I hope you’ll feel better in the morning.”

He offered her his hand, and she put hers in his for an instant, but withdrew it without returning his pressure, and he went away, sorely perplexed and bitterly disappointed.

He would have been still more puzzled if he had been told that not only had Madeline not forgotten about what had happened at the picnic, but had, in fact, thought of scarcely anything else during his call. It was that which made her so hard with him, that lent such acid to her tone and such cold aversion to her whole manner. As he went from the house, she stood looking after him through the parlour window, murmuring to herself--.

“Thank Heaven, I’m not engaged to him. How could I think I would ever marry him? Oh, if a girl only knew!”

Henry could not rest until he had seen her again, and found out whether her coldness was a mere freak of coquetry, or something more. One evening when, thanks to the long twilight, it was not yet dark, he called again.

She came to the door with hat and gloves on. Was she going out? he asked.

She admitted that she had been on the point of going across the street to make a call which had been too long delayed, but wouldn’t he come in. No, he would not detain her; he would call again. But he lingered a moment on the steps while, standing on the threshold, she played with a button of a glove. Suddenly he raised his eyes and regarded her in a quite particular manner. She was suddenly absorbed with her glove, but he fancied that her cheek slightly flushed. Just at the moment when he was calculating that she could no longer well avoid looking up, she exclaimed--

“Dear me, how vexatious! there goes another of those buttons. I shall have to sew it on again before I go,” and she looked at him with a charmingly frank air of asking for sympathy, at the same time that it conveyed the obvious idea that she ought to lose no time in making the necessary repairs.

“I will not keep you, then,” he said, somewhat sadly, and turned away.

Was the accident intentional? Did she want to avoid him? he could not help the thought, and yet what could be more frank and sunshiny than the smile with which she responded to his parting salutation?

The next Sunday Laura and he were at church in the evening.

“I wonder why Madeline was not out. Do you know?” he said as they were walking home.

“No.”

“You’re not nearly so friendly with her as you used to be. What’s the matter?”

She did not reply, for just then at a turning of the street, they met the young lady of whom they were speaking. She looked smiling and happy, and very handsome, with a flush in either cheek, and walking with her was the new drug-clerk. She seemed a little confused at meeting Henry, and for a moment appeared to avoid his glance. Then, with a certain bravado, oddly mingled with a deprecating air, she raised her eyes to his and bowed.

It was the first intimation he had had of the true reason of her alienation. Mechanically he walked on and on, too stunned to think as yet, feeling only that there was a terrible time of thinking ahead.

“Hadn’t we better turn back, hear?” said Laura, very gently.

He looked up. They were a mile or two out of the village on a lonely country road. They turned, and she said, softly, in the tone like the touch of tender fingers on an aching spot--

“I knew it long ago, but I hadn’t the heart to tell you. She set her cap at him from the first. Don’t take it too much to heart. She is not good enough for you.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close