Racing the Clock - Cover

Racing the Clock

Copyright© 2017 by Vincent Berg

11:Bussing For a New Ethnic Group

They were just getting out of the cab when Debbie contacted Alex again.

Alex, I’m heading in to see the doctor now. Are you ready?‘ she asked.

Yeah, I’m ready, ‘ he told her as he stepped onto the curb before turning aside so he could focus on their conversation. Cate recognized what he was doing, so she stood beside him to act as a buffer while explaining what he was doing to the other girls. They too surrounded him to block him from view, allowing him to concentrate. ‘Go ahead. Just tell me what’s happening and I’ll walk you through it.‘ She thanked him and he simply stood there waiting for a few moments.

Good morning, young lady, ‘ Alex heard Debbie’s doctor say as she conveyed it to him telepathically. Alex didn’t know whether he was a general pediatrician or a psychiatrist specializing in schizophrenia. ‘I’m Dr. Green. What seems to be your problem today?

Tell him you don’t have one, that you were just teasing your mother. Let’s try to stop this as soon as we can,’ Alex told her. She did as he instructed. She then relayed how the doctor looked quizzically at her mother, Sarah, and how she started to respond.

That’s not what you told us, Debbie. You told us that man on the highway made you see things, and that you saw auras surrounding everything. Tell him what you saw, Debbie, ‘ Alex heard Sarah explain to the doctor.

When the doctor asked her about it again, Alex walked her through her denial of it again. Sarah became embarrassed and insisted that Debbie tell the truth, at which point Dr. Green asked about the events that triggered the behavior. Sarah blushed and tried to explain.

We had an encounter with a crazy person in the car the other day,’ she explained. ‘He called us up from the car behind us on the interstate. I have no idea how he got our number, but he started telling us all this insane nonsense about Debbie. About how she had this genetic ability that he somehow activated or something, and that he needed us to stop so he could tell us about it.

He called you from the car behind you?’ Dr. Green asked. ‘That’s pretty unusual. Did he describe what genetic anomaly she supposedly suffered from?

No, we didn’t give him the chance, ‘ Debbie’s mom told him. ‘We figured he looked up some information about Debbie on the internet so they could stop us so they could try something. We weren’t about to risk it.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone going to those lengths for a simple carjacking,’ the doctor said, leaning against the examination table. ‘It’s usually a crime of opportunity. Even then, the chances of catching up with you and holding a phone conversation is pretty difficult. You’d think they’d have just run into you if they wanted you to stop.

Whatever,’ she responded in exasperation. ‘He was trying to get us to stop, spouting all kinds of nonsense. We weren’t about to stop to discuss it with him.’

Still, it may explain where she got the idea from. Apparently Debbie was intrigued by the concept and built a complex fantasy out of it. Debbie, what’s an aura?’ he asked.

Tell him you think it’s a glow, but tell him that’s how your mother described it, ‘ Alex instructed her. She did so, and the doctor simply shook his head.

It’s unusual for a child to develop such a complex fantasy, but certainly not unheard of. Frankly, you should be proud she’s bright enough to formulate such ideas. But as long as she can distinguish between the fantasy and reality, I don’t see a problem,’ he told her.

But she believed it, ‘ Sarah insisted, Debbie merely standing meekly nearby, not bothering to say anything else. ‘Every time we look at her, she’s staring at things as if she can see things that aren’t there. When we asked her, she described what she saw in great detail.

All signs of a creative imagination and a strong mind,’ the doctor assured her. ‘I wouldn’t worry about it. Many children have intricate imaginative fantasies. Sometimes it’s invisible friends, sometimes it’s something else.

According to Debbie her mother then stormed out, clearly upset. Alex told her to keep talking to him and he’d help her with her mother as well. Alex glanced around, checking to see if there was any problem with his staring into space standing on a street corner. While he waited, he walked over to lean against the neighboring building so he wouldn’t look so conspicuous.

Look, little lady, ‘ Sarah told her daughter. ‘I have no idea what you are trying to pull. But I don’t appreciate it. Do you care to tell me what’s going on?

Tell her nothing has changed, but you aren’t about to confess something that will have you force fed drugs you don’t need, ‘ Alex instructed her.

Are you sure, Alex? That doesn’t sound very smart. She’s going to be angry and it doesn’t sound like me,’ Debbie complained.

Just tell her. I’ll be here to make sure it’s OK,’ Alex assured her.

She said what Alex told her to.

So you are still seeing things and you lied about it, making me look like a fool,’ Sarah accused her.

Tell her you had to, that otherwise he’d treat you for something you don’t have,’ Alex instructed. She followed his directions.

What the hell am I supposed to do with you? You still believe this nonsense, but now I can’t face your doctor again. How am I supposed to get you treated?‘ Sarah asked Debbie angrily.

You aren’t going to treat me, because I’m not suffering from anything. I actually see these things, just like I can see how angry and frustrated you are now. I can also see that your blood pressure is rising, ‘ Debbie told her mother defiantly as Alex had coached her. She described to Alex how Sarah clenched her fists, but she didn’t say anything as she headed to the car, Debbie hurrying to catch up.

We’ll talk about this later,’ Sarah told her daughter sternly. ‘Right now I’m too angry to speak to you. Maybe your father can talk some sense into you.’

OK, we’d better not say anything further. Call me again if your father raises a fuss, but I think you’ve bought yourself some time. We’ll think of something when the time comes,’ he assured her. She thanked him and he looked up to see the women looking at him questioningly.

“Hey, somebody needed some help with a doctor’s appointment,” he told them, as if that explained everything.


Alex and the others entered Patricia’s club a short while later. They had a full kitchen and private booths so they wouldn’t have to worry about being recognized or disturbed. Patricia had called them shortly after they’d left the park to ask them to lunch, as they had much to discuss. That, as always, left many questions in Alex’s mind, but he felt comfortable enough with how things had played out to leave them unanswered for the moment. Now, however, he was anxious to discover what the latest news was.

They found Lekesia, Noel and Diane there. They’d apparently come here directly from the clinic, since Alex hadn’t heard from them since they’d left that morning. They all positively beamed when Alex walked in the door. However, despite the club being busy, a lot of the other people they might have expected weren’t there. The three Watcher watchers weren’t in attendance, nor were the girls they’d brought with them, namely Tina, Amy, nor any of the girls who were renting Allison’s apartment from her. Mattie and Shanna had come along with Alex.

“So, is everyone pregnant?” Alex asked playfully.

“No one can tell yet,” Lekesia pouted. “Though Diane seems convinced she already is, the rest of us have our doubts.”

“I guess that just goes to show my magical abilities only go so far,” Alex replied, sitting down. “Sometimes you just have to wait for nature to catch up.”

Patricia was about to say something, but Alex cut her off.

“Wait a minute, what’s that on your wrist, Lekesia?”

“Oh, do you like it? We each got one,” she told him, displaying a small tattoo on her wrist of the Angel Vision foundation logo. “We also got these to go along with them,” she said, displaying one on her other wrist showing a thought balloon with nothing in it. “It was Stacy’s idea. All the girls are going to get one. The thought bubble represents telepathic ability and each of the Seers are planning to get one to denote our abilities. The Watchers are going to get one of an eye with the pupil larger than the surrounding eye, making it look like they’re surprised.”

Alex sat back, and it appeared he was anything but happy.

Listen up, everyone. No one else is going to get a tattoo. At least none relating to me, ‘ he said, broadcasting the message to every activated Seer he’d ever met. ‘They’re a BAD idea. I’m trying to help each of you, but if word of my existence gets out, along with what we can do, there’s likely to be a huge reaction. The government has been known to lock up those it finds suspicious, usually without any rights to contest it. Your marking yourselves makes each of you easy to identify. I prefer it if each of you were able to blend in, so that if I get into trouble each of you could go on as if nothing had changed.

Everyone looked shocked at his response, but since everyone there was a Seer, aside from Alex and Cate, they each got the message. Cate was aware that something had happened, so she was busy trying to piece it together.

“We didn’t mean anything by it,” Diane said. “We just wanted to be able to show it off to the others in the community.”

“Yes, and you and the others could very well be locked up together on the basis of it,” he reminded them.

“I say let them,” Lekesia stated proudly. “Peter denied knowledge of Jesus three times and it almost destroyed him. Judas turned his back on Jesus and look what it got him. We’re each proud to stand beside you, even if it means punishment or crucifixion.”

“And that’s the kind of righteous indignation that’s resulted in two thousand years of wars, aggression and arrogance,” Alex pointed out. “I’m looking to avoid that. I’m not looking to change the world. I simply want a safe place for each of us. Standing up for me might not be so safe. I’d rather each of you was safely protected if anything happened to me, so I won’t have to worry about you. Right now, we need to continue these abilities of ours, and to promote the genetic traits that produce them. Having us all imprisoned or killed is a quick way to end our whole existence. I’m thinking long term. I don’t like the risks involved, nor the implications that we’re looking to take on the world in a huge theological conflict.”

Everyone looked down, intimidated by Alex’s angry response. Cate had a quick whispered conversation with Noel, who explained what Alex had told them.

I want you each to know that I don’t blame you, ‘ Alex mentally broadcast while trying to speak the words aloud for his sister’s sake, not an easy task to pull off, since one was instantaneous while the other took time to say, ‘but I don’t think physical markings is a good idea. Whoever started this, get the tattoo parlor to stop it immediately, and everyone else get word out to the various Watchers that I don’t approve of this.‘ He continued.

I’m with Stacy now, ‘ responded a mental voice that Alex didn’t recognize, assuming it must have been someone he activated this morning. ‘I’m having her send people out to each of the clinics she dealt with. We’ll also send people out to try to contact the various Watchers. I’ll talk to Darice about it as soon as I can get over there.

Very good. By the way, who is this? I don’t recognize the mental signature, ‘ Alex responded.

This is Vicky Amhurst. I was in the park this morning.

Well I’m glad to finally meet you, Vicky. When you finish, come by the club so we can meet. I’m glad you responded so quickly. It says a lot about you.‘ He could feel her beaming in his own head, since the telepathy also captures emotions as well.

I’d be glad to, sir,’ she replied. Alex quickly bid her good luck before turning back to the others.

“I’m sorry to get so rough, after all, I’ve never said anything about it before, but that’s a risk there’s simply no reason to undertake. Besides, there’s already enough of a risk if and when I’m exposed to the public that they’ll take it out on each of you they can find. Thus I want to distance the Foundation from us enough it won’t get discredited if I’m exposed.”

Noel glanced at the tattoo on her wrist. “Do you want us to have them taken off?”

Alex looked a bit disturbed as he contemplated that. “No, I guess not. I’m not sure how complex the procedure is. You may need to at some time in the future, but if only a few of you have had it done then it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. However, I’m also disappointed in you three since tattoos are the leading cause of hepatitis and other problems for developing babies.”

“We thought of that,” Lekesia hurried to explain. “Stacy found us a medical tattooist near the fertility clinic. The kind who does medical tattoos like putting fake nipples on mastectomy patients or applying permanent makeup.” Frankly, Alex had never heard of such a thing before. At least that would mean they were more careful about possible infections, but still, the basic risks to everyone remained.

“Look, my reaction may have been harsh, but I wanted it stopped immediately since it puts each of you at risk,” he said, studying their stricken faces. “One of my first priorities is protecting all of you, and I couldn’t allow you to endanger yourselves on my account. After all, I’m not espousing a religion here. I’m just trying to help each of you to survive in the future. We need to keep a low profile, and we also need to be aware of what’s likely to happen once we’re exposed. Now, let’s put it behind us and move on to other topics.”

“Uh... , I was going to say the mass activation in the park worked out well,” Patricia offered, hoping to break the awkward pause which followed. “The police didn’t give us a hard time since we hadn’t built any platforms or other disturbances, but they did shut us down pretty quickly. They said they don’t like unorganized groups, since they could represent any number of different threats.”

“I figured as much. If it’s a hate group or a Muslim gathering they want to be on hand in case things get out of hand, but I suspect they want to control who can speak as much as anything else,” Alex replied.

“Yeah, you managed to get them all,” Patricia told him. “Well, you got most of them. It turns out we had five misidentified, only one of which wasn’t either a Watcher or a Seer. I figured you’d probably want to speak to her, but right now she’s busy commiserating with her ‘sisters’, each of which are assuring her she still fits in despite not having the requisite abilities. I told her it seems many people with the underlying genes don’t become full Watchers and Seers because of other restricting genes. That made her feel better. You can probably speak to her tomorrow, if you’re still here,” she added, watching his response for any telltale reactions. “We also managed to get away before we attracted too much attention. Although I’ve heard there’s an impromptu gathering in front of the same Cathedral by a group of Catholics protesting the new ‘Atheist Angel movement’ they read about this morning.”

“Yeah, I figured that was coming. I think it will be a good idea to avoid most of the major churches for a few days, at the very least. We may be able to weather this storm, but we’ll have to be careful. You never know when it might be necessary for us to run for cover.”

“That’s actually why I had you stop by,” Patricia said as the waiter brought their meals. “I’ve got a surprise for you, but it’s outside so we’ll have to wait until we’re finished here. It bears on that very topic.”

“The topic?” Alex asked. “I was talking about avoiding churches. Do you have a billboard listing of all the churches in the neighborhood?” Patricia was about to respond when she finally noticed Alex’s smirk, so instead she lightly slapped his arm.

“No, silly, I’m talking about if the exposure gets to be too great. Well, actually it has to do with your travel schedule, but it still applies if you leave ahead of time as well,” she explained.

“Well, if it’s another girl looking to get pregnant while we’re driving cross country then it’s officially not much of a surprise,” Alex told her, which the three hopeful mothers each twittered over.

At Alex’s insistence, Patricia led the newest girls over. There were only two this time, and both had already been activated, obviously. One was introduced as Brandy Stevens, a buxom black girl with a no nonsense attitude, dressed in a simple dress with some African prints, which Alex had learned to appreciate from his time with Chalise and Caroline. The other was named Caitlin Johansen, a pretty bleach blonde with freckles. The difference between the two, the thin light skinned Caitlin compared to the fuller and darker Brandy, really contrasted nicely, making each stand out that much more.

The other girls hadn’t heard of Alex’s mass activation in the park nor about the article in today’s paper, so the girls discussed it amongst themselves. They were fascinated in the two topics; upset they missed the first and more disturbed about the second. Cate dug out her iPad to show each of them the video, so that kept them occupied while Alex focused on the new women.

“Welcome, ladies. Apparently we met this morning, though forgive me if I need to get to know you a little better before we get down to business. So, Brandy, what do you do?”

“I work in Social Services in Child Protective Services,” she told him, then regarded him carefully. “Ah’m more of a naturally shaped black woman, Honey. I hear you like your black women like Oreos: skinny and white. I’ve got a few more curves which the black men like. I’ve got a delicious bootie, which you’re probably not used to,” she told him. Despite the fact she was clearly testing him, he smiled in response.

“I probably deserve that,” he told her. “Yes, Shani, Chalise and even Lekesia are all thin, smart, and adept at fitting into white society. But I hope you don’t hold that against me. I’ve got nothing against beautiful black women, and you’re certainly beautiful. I can adapt to your more natural speech patterns, too, just give me a little time.”

“We’ll see,” she replied, looking at him levelly. “My natural reaction is to treat you like a demigod, as you’re used to. But I’m afraid you may be just another spoiled little white boy, so I’m going to apply my experience and watch how you react to people. I’ll either train you or you’ll have to run me off.”

“Fair enough. I take it you typically have trouble with guys who don’t understand you?”

“That, plus I deal with a lot of white boyfriends who don’t appreciate their girlfriend’s black kids. I’m not saying you’re like them, but I’ve had experience with racial blindness. People can be racist without realizing it. Since my natural tendency is to defer to you, I’m resisting that impulse.”

“You realize that one of my contentions with people is about how they prejudge others? You’re doing that now, assuming I’ll act like all the other ‘spoiled little while boys’. By the way, did it ever occur to you that you may be putting your chances of getting pregnant at risk?” Alex teasingly asked her.

She gave a short barking laugh. “I considered it, but from what I’ve heard you’re pretty understanding. You seem to do like I do, look for the good in people, and you look at people’s intent rather than at their initial statements. But I’m afraid you’re going to end up like a lot of naive young white boys, you’ll get disillusioned by life and you turn against people. If I can help you avoid that, I’ll chalk it up as experience whatever you decide to do with me.”

“You manage to lose your accent when you get enthused,” Alex observed. “Isn’t that the opposite of what normally happens?”

“I’m used to getting excited. I’m also used to talking to white superiors, white clients, and whites in my private life. You get used to speaking so you can be understood,” she answered.

“OK. That makes sense. Now, can we get back to the getting to know you, and you can teach me how to behave when we have more time later?”

She smiled at him. Caitlin’s head had been flicking from one to the other. Like the white men Brandy was describing, she wasn’t used to such confrontations with large black women. “I keep myself busy. I already have two kids, Joshua and Sam, that’s my daughter. I love ‘em both but their daddy didn’t last long. But they’re getting older, and I thought this was a great excuse to have another one, which is something I’ve been wanting for a while. I figur’d that’s just what I need, another ethnic group I can belong to that will get me discriminated against,” she replied with a smile.

“Well, I assume you know about kids and that you’re serious about raising them, so I don’t have to worry about that. What about other things, what makes you tick?” Alex asked her.

She tilted her head, trying to look at him from a different angle, still trying to figure him out. “I volunteer at the church a lot. I sing in the choir and I’m also active in Republican Party events.”

Alex smiled again. “You can go easy on testing me,” he told her. “While it’s true I’m an atheist, I’m not a raving fanatic about it. Instead I just have trouble believing in the existence of a soul. Science has demonstrated that thoughts are the results of biochemical processes in the brain, so without a brain there’s no way for a soul to function. Without a physical brain, there’s no mechanism for the soul to retrieve thoughts or to create new ones. However, I have no problem with anyone else believing in it. I also have no problems with anyone supporting whichever candidates or parties they think best serves them. I’m not looking for people to blindly follow me, I’m looking to help people. Especially those that only I can help, and even more so those I’ve assumed responsibility for.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close