Pursuit
Chapter VI

Public Domain

There were men with guns in the street. He’d heard two shots as he came down the stairs, and had shoved Ellen behind him. But it was silent now. People with dazed, frightened faces were still darting into the houses, leaving the street to the men with the guns.

Hawkes marched forward grimly, perversely stripped of fear, even though he was sure some of the men out there were monsters and others were their dupes. He tapped one of the men on the shoulder.

“Okay, here I am. The girl goes free!”

The man spun around as if mounted on a ball bearing and pulled by strings. The gun fell from his hands. His emotion-taut face loosened suddenly, seemed to run like melted wax, and congealed again in an expression of utter idiocy. He gargled frothily, and then screamed--high and shrill, like a tortured woman.

Suddenly he was a lunging maniac, tearing up the street.

Now the others were running--some toward cars, and some toward the corners, running flat and desperately on the flat of their feet, without any spring to their motions.

Hawkes jerked his eyes down toward the big gas-storage tanks where most of them had been, and the glow that had been in the corner of his vision was gone. Men seemed to be coming out of a trance. They were breaking away, forgetting about their guns and fleeing.

Three men alone were left.

Hawkes ducked back into the hall of the apartment, dragging Ellen with him. The glass of the door was somewhat dirty, but it made a dim mirror. He could see the slim young man and two others still there. The two men darted into a waiting car, and the leader turned up the street, running smoothly toward the apartment house.

Hawkes could make no sense of it--unless it was another of the seeming tricks designed to drive him out of his mind. He had decided he was one of the rats in the maze that didn’t go crazy--the pressure could drive him somewhat mad, but it couldn’t keep him that way.

He didn’t wait to see what had happened, or whether the sirens that were sounding now were reinforcements for the men with guns or the police. He didn’t bother with the slim young man any more. They’d apparently used their dupes to frighten out the people, and then had scared off the dupes--the poor humans who didn’t know what it was all about. Now two of the three were gone, and the third monster was coming for him.

He’d escaped before. But sooner or later, they’d catch him--once they were sure he wouldn’t be driven insane.

Or was this the beginning of insanity--a delusion of power, a feeling that he could escape? He could never know, if it was. He had to assume that he was sane.


He crouched back behind the stairs, while the young man in the gray tweeds dashed up them. Then he headed out into the street. The siren was near now--and tardily, he realized that the siren might herald the coming of the real monsters. It was as easy to look like a cop as any other human!

He jerked open the door of the nearest car, pulled Ellen in, and kicked the motor to life. He gunned away from the curb, tossed it into second, and twisted around the corner, straight toward the siren that was nearest. At the last minute, he jerked to the side of the street, to let the police car shoot by. “Never run from a tiger--run toward it. It sometimes works, and it’s no worse.”

The car was a big one, and the motor purred smoothly. He glanced down at the dash, and frowned. There was no key in the switch. For a second, he stared at it, and then grinned. He’d picked a monster’s car, apparently--they’d done a neat job of duplicating, but they didn’t need all the safeguards that humans used, and the switch had obviously been a dummy.

He looked at the buttons on the dash, wondering which would make it levitate. But he had no desire to test it, nor to stay in an auto which could probably be traced so easily.

He braked to a halt outside the subway and led Ellen down.

“We’re down to the last hole,” he told her as the train pulled out of the station. “How much money do you have?”

She shook her head, and held up her arm. “I left it, Will.”

They were beyond the last hole, then. He realized now that as long as they’d been in a crowded apartment house, filled with other humans, it had proved a tough nut to crack for the aliens. But on the move...

“Maybe we have a chance,” he told her. “If humans were after me, it’d be tough--but these things have to avoid the police.”

She looked at him, misery on her face. “There are no aliens, Will. Those men you saw were F. B. I. men. That’s where I reported you.”

“You...”

He stared at her, but she was serious.

“But there was nothing about me in the papers, Ellen.”

She pointed across the aisle. Spread over two columns on the front page, an older picture of him showed plainly. And even at the distance, the heading was boldly legible.

$100,000 REWARD FOR

THIS MAN!

He stared at the figure twice, unbelieving. He was no longer alone against a small group of humans or aliens. Now every living human on the face of the planet would be looking for him!


He could feel their hot breath on his neck, feel eyes staring at him through the papers. Fear began to rise in him, to be halted as the train ground to a new station. Ellen jerked him out, and he moved with her. It wasn’t safe to be too long with one group, until they began to wonder and compare faces!

“But what--”

She shook her head. “Nothing, Will. I don’t know. What can we do?”

He’d been wondering, while they moved quietly through the groups of people, and up the stairs. There was no place left. He had about a dollar in change, and that would be of no use to them. They’d have to dig a hole in the ground and pull it over them...

It joggled his memory, and he grabbed her hand and jerked open the door of a cab that was waiting for the light. He barked out an address----the corner of Tenth Avenue and one of the streets below Twentieth. The driver got into motion, not bothering to look back. The address was near enough to where Hawkes wanted to be--an old warehouse, with a loading platform. He’d played there as a kid, climbing back under it and digging holes down into the damp, soft earth, as kids have always done. He’d been by there since, and it had remained unchanged.

Sooner or later, the aliens would locate them. But it would give Ellen and him a chance to rest--perhaps long enough for him to waylay someone at night and steal enough for them to leave town. That wouldn’t be much help--but it was all he had left to count on.

He saw trucks loading there, as he paid the cab-driver. His heart sank abruptly, until he studied the way the big trailer was parked. If he watched carefully, he could slip under it from the side, and there was a chance he wouldn’t be seen.

He darted beneath it.

Luck, for once was with him as he drew Ellen under the trailer and the platform. The old opening was covered with rubble, but he scraped it aside, and found an entrance barely big enough for them to wiggle through. Then they were back in a dark pocket under the back of the platform, barely big enough for them to sit upright. The hole had seemed bigger when he was a kid.

Outside, he heard a boy’s voice yelling. “Monster attacks cops! Monster kills five cops! Extra Paper!”

Now he was a monster, to be shot on sight, probably.

“I shouldn’t have brought you into this, Ellen,” he said bitterly. “I should have left you. You don’t even know what’s going on--you haven’t the faintest idea. If it were just humans, as you think...”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close