Planet of the Damned - Cover

Planet of the Damned

Public Domain

Chapter 8

With each second the noise grew louder, coming their way. The tracks squeaked as the car turned around the rock spire, obviously seeking them out. A large carrier, big as a truck, it stopped before them in a cloud of its own dust and the driver kicked the door open.

“Get in here--and fast!” the man shouted. “You’re letting in all the heat.” He gunned the engine, ready to kick in the gears, and looked at them irritatedly.

Ignoring the driver’s nervous instructions, Brion carefully placed Lea on the rear seat before he pulled the door shut. The car surged forward instantly, a blast of icy air pouring from the air-cooling vents. It wasn’t cold in the vehicle--but the temperature was at least forty degrees lower than the outer air. Brion covered Lea with all their extra clothing to prevent any further shock to her system. The driver, hunched over the wheel and driving with an intense speed, hadn’t said a word to them since they had entered.

Brion looked up as another man stepped from the engine compartment in the rear of the car. He was thin, harried-looking. And he was pointing a gun.

“Who are you?” he said, without a trace of warmth in his voice.

It was a strange reception, but Brion was beginning to realize that Dis was a strange planet. The other man chewed at his lip nervously while Brion sat, relaxed and unmoving. He didn’t want to startle him into pulling the trigger, and he kept his voice pitched low as he answered.

“My name is Brandd. We landed from space two nights ago and have been walking in the desert ever since. Now don’t get excited and shoot the gun when I tell you this--but both Vion and Ihjel are dead.”

The man with the gun gasped, his eyes widened. The driver threw a single frightened look over his shoulder, then turned quickly back to the wheel. Brion’s probe had hit its mark. If these men weren’t from the Cultural Relationships Foundation they at least knew a lot about it. It seemed safe to assume they were C.R.F. men.

“When they were shot the girl and I escaped. We were trying to reach the city and contact you. You are from the Foundation, aren’t you?”

“Yes. Of course,” the man said, lowering the gun. He stared glassy-eyed into space for a moment, nervously working his teeth against his lip. Startled at his own inattention, he raised the gun again.

“If you’re Brandd, there’s something I want to know.” Rummaging in his breast pocket with his free hand, he brought out a yellow message form. He moved his lips as he reread the message. “Now answer me--if you can--what are the last three events in the...” He took a quick look at the paper again. “ ... in the Twenties?”

“Chess finals, rifle prone position, and fencing playoffs. Why?”

The man grunted and slid the pistol back into its holder, satisfied. “I’m Faussel,” he said, and waved the message at Brion. “This is Ihjel’s last will and testament, relayed to us by the Nyjord blockade control. He thought he was going to die and he sure was right. Passed on his job to you. You’re in charge. I was Mervv’s second-in-command, until he was poisoned. I was supposed to work for Ihjel, and now I guess I’m yours. At least until tomorrow, when we’ll have everything packed and get off this hell planet.”

“What do you mean, tomorrow?” Brion asked. “It’s three days to deadline and we still have a job to do.”

Faussel had dropped heavily into one of the seats and he sprang to his feet again, clutching the seat back to keep his balance in the swaying car.

“Three days, three weeks, three minutes--what difference does it make?” His voice rose shrilly with each word, and he had to make a definite effort to master himself before he could go on. “Look. You don’t know anything about this. You just arrived and that’s your bad luck. My bad luck is being assigned to this death trap and watching the depraved and filthy things the natives do. And trying to be polite to them even when they are killing my friends, and those Nyjord bombers up there with their hands on the triggers. One of those bombardiers is going to start thinking about home and about the cobalt bombs down here and he’s going to press that button, deadline or no deadline.”

“Sit down, Faussel. Sit down and take a rest.” There was sympathy in Brion’s voice--but also the firmness of an order. Faussel swayed for a second longer, then collapsed. He sat with his cheek against the window, eyes closed. A pulse throbbed visibly in his temple and his lips worked. He had been under too much tension for too long a time.

This was the atmosphere that hung heavily in the air at the C.R.F. building when they arrived. Despair and defeat. The doctor was the only one who didn’t share this mood as he bustled Lea off to the clinic with prompt efficiency. He obviously had enough patients to keep his mind occupied. With the others the feeling of depression was unmistakable. From the instant they had driven through the automatic garage door, Brion had swum in this miasma of defeat. It was omnipresent and hard to ignore.

As soon as he had eaten he went with Faussel into what was to have been Ihjel’s office. Through the transparent walls he could see the staff packing the records, crating them for shipment. Faussel seemed less nervous now that he was no longer in command. Brion rejected any idea he had of letting the man know that he himself was only a novice in the foundation. He was going to need all the authority he could muster, since they would undoubtedly hate him for what he was going to do.

“Better take notes of this, Faussel, and have it typed. I’ll sign it.” The printed word always carried more weight. “All preparations for leaving are to be stopped at once. Records are to be returned to the files. We are going to stay here just as long as we have clearance from the Nyjorders. If this operation is unsuccessful we will all leave together when the time expires. We will take whatever personal baggage we can carry by hand; everything else stays here. Perhaps you don’t realize we are here to save a planet--not file cabinets full of papers.”

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Faussel flush with anger. “As soon as that is typed bring it back. And all the reports as to what has been accomplished on this project. That will be all for now.”

Faussel stamped out, and a minute later Brion saw the shocked, angry looks from the workers in the outer office. Turning his back to them, he opened the drawers in the desk, one after another. The top drawer was empty, except for a sealed envelope. It was addressed to Winner Ihjel.

Brion looked at it thoughtfully, then ripped it open. The letter inside was handwritten.

Ihjel:

_I’ve had the official word that you are on the way
to relieve me and I am forced to admit I feel only
an intense satisfaction. You’ve had the experience on
these outlaw planets and can get along with the odd
types. I have been specializing in research for the
last twenty years, and the only reason I was appointed
planetary supervisor on Nyjord was because of the
observation and application facilities. I’m the
research type, not the office type; no one has ever
denied that._

_You’re going to have trouble with the staff, so you
had better realize that they are all compulsory
volunteers. Half are clerical people from my staff.
The others a mixed bag of whoever was close enough to
be pulled in on this crash assignment. It developed so
fast we never saw it coming. And I’m afraid we’ve done
little or nothing to stop it. We can’t get access to
the natives here, not in the slightest. It’s
frightening! They don’t fit! I’ve done Poisson
Distributions on a dozen different factors and none of
them can be equated. The Pareto Extrapolations don’t
work. Our field men can’t even talk to the natives and
two have been killed trying. The ruling class is
unapproachable and the rest just keep their mouths shut
and walk away._

_I’m going to take a chance and try to talk to
Lig-magte, perhaps I can make him see sense. I doubt
if it will work and there is a chance he will try
violence with me. The nobility here are very prone to
violence. If I get back all right you won’t see this
note. Otherwise--good-by, Ihjel. Try to do a better job
than I did._

Aston Mervv

_P.S. There is a problem with the staff. They are
supposed to be saviors, but without exception they all
loathe the Disans. I’m afraid I do too._

Brion ticked off the relevant points in the letter. He had to find some way of discovering what Pareto Extrapolations were--without uncovering his own lack of knowledge. The staff would vanish in five minutes if they knew how new he was at the job. Poisson Distribution made more sense. It was used in physics as the unchanging probability of an event that would be true at all times. Such as the numbers of particles that would be given off by a lump of radioactive matter during a short period. From the way Mervv used it in his letter it looked as if the societics people had found measurable applications in societies and groups. At least on other planets. None of the rules seemed to be working on Dis. Ihjel had admitted that, and Mervv’s death had proven it. Brion wondered who this Lig-magte was who appeared to have killed Mervv.

A forged cough broke through Brion’s concentration, and he realized that Faussel had been standing in front of his desk for some minutes. Brion looked up and mopped perspiration from his face.

“Your air conditioner seems to be out of order,” Faussel said. “Should I have the mechanic look at it?”

“There’s nothing wrong with the machine; I’m just adapting to Dis’s climate. What else do you want, Faussel?”

The assistant had a doubting look that he didn’t succeed in hiding. He also had trouble believing the literal truth. He placed the small stack of file folders on the desk.

“These are the reports to date, everything we have uncovered about the Disans. It’s not very much; but considering the anti-social attitudes on this lousy world it is the best we could do.” A sudden thought hit him, and his eyes narrowed slyly. “It can’t be helped, but some of the staff have been wondering out loud about that native that contacted us. How did you get him to help you? We’ve never gotten to first base with these people, and as soon as you land you have one working for you. You can’t stop people from thinking about it, you being a newcomer and a stranger. After all, it looks a little odd--” He broke off in midsentence as Brion looked at him in cold fury.

“I can’t stop people from thinking about it--but I can stop them from talking. Our job is to contact the Disans and stop this suicidal war. I have done more in one day than you all have done since you arrived. I have accomplished this because I am better at my work than the rest of you. That is all the information any of you are going to receive. You are dismissed.”

White with anger, Faussel turned on his heel and stamped out--to spread the word about what a slave-driver the new director was. They would then all hate him passionately, which was just the way he wanted it. He couldn’t risk exposure as the tyro he was. And perhaps a new emotion, other than disgust and defeat, might jar them into a little action. They certainly couldn’t do any worse than they had been doing.

It was a tremendous amount of responsibility. For the first time since setting foot on this barbaric planet Brion had time to stop and think. He was taking an awful lot upon himself. He knew nothing about this world, nor about the powers involved in the conflict. Here he sat pretending to be in charge of an organization he had first heard about only a few weeks earlier. It was a frightening situation. Should he slide out from under?

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close