Planet of the Damned - Cover

Planet of the Damned

Public Domain

Chapter 17

“Do you mean what you said, about giving up?” Lea asked. Brion realized that she had stopped talking to Ulv some time ago, and had been listening to his conversation with Krafft. He shrugged, trying to put his feeling into words.

“We’ve tried--and almost succeeded. But if they won’t listen, what can we do? What can one man possibly do against a fleet loaded with H-bombs?”

As if in answer to the question, Ulv’s voice drowned him out, the harsh Disan words slashing the silence of the room.

“Kill you, the enemy!” he said. “Kill you umedvirk!”

He shouted the last word and his hand flashed to his belt. In a single swift motion he lifted his blowgun and placed it to his lips. A tiny dart quivered in the already dead flesh of the creature in the magter’s skull. The action had all the symbolism of a broken lance, the declaration of war.

“Ulv understands it a lot better than you might think,” Lea said. “He knows things about symbiosis and mutualism that would get him a job as a lecturer in any university on Earth. He knows just what the brain-symbiote is and what it does. They even have a word for it, one that never appeared in our Disan language lessons. A life form that you can live with or cooperate with is called medvirk. One that works to destroy you is umedvirk. He also understands that life forms can change, and be medvirk or umedvirk at different times. He has just decided that the brain symbiote is umedvirk and he is out to kill it. So will the rest of the Disans as soon as he can show them the evidence and explain.”

“You’re sure of this?” Brion asked, interested in spite of himself.

“Positive. The Disans have an absolute attitude towards survival; you should realize that. Not the same as the magter, but not much different in the results. They will kill the brain-symbiotes, even if it means killing every magter who harbors one.”

“If that is the case we can’t leave now,” Brion said. With these words it suddenly became clear what he had to do. “The ship is coming down now from the fleet. Get in it and take the body of the magter. I won’t go.”

“Where will you be?” she asked, shocked.

“Fighting the magter. My presence on the planet means that Krafft won’t keep his threat to drop the bombs any earlier than the midnight deadline. That would be deliberately murdering me. I doubt if my presence past midnight will stop him, but it should keep the bombs away at least until then.”

“What will you accomplish besides committing suicide?” Lea pleaded. “You just told me how a single man can’t stop the bombs. What will happen to you at midnight?”

“I’ll be dead--but in spite of that I can’t run away. Not now. I must do everything possible right up until the last instant. Ulv and I will go to the magter tower, try to find out if the bombs are there. He will fight on our side now. He may even know more about the bombs, things that he didn’t want to tell me before. We can get help from his people. Some of them must know where the bombs are, being native to this planet.”

Lea started to say something, but he rushed on, drowning out her words.

“You have just as big a job. Show the magter to Krafft, explain the significance of the brain-parasite to him. Try to get him to talk to Hys about the last raid. Try to get him to hold off the attack. I’ll keep the radio with me and as soon as I know anything I’ll call in. This is all last resort, finger in the dike kind of stuff, but it is all we can do. Because if we do nothing, it means the end of Dis.”

Lea tried to argue with him, but he wouldn’t listen to her. He only kissed her, and with a lightness he did not feel tried to convince her that everything would be all right. In their hearts they both knew it wouldn’t be but they left it that way because it was the least painful solution.

A sudden rumbling shook the building and the windows darkened as a ship settled in the street outside. The Nyjord crew came in with guns pointed, alert for anything.

After a little convincing they took the cadaver, as well as Lea, when they lifted ship. Brion watched the spacer become a pinpoint in the sky and vanish. He tried to shake off the feeling that this was the last time he would see any of them.

“Let’s get out of here fast,” he told Ulv, picking up the radio, “before anyone comes around to see why the ship landed.”

“What will you do?” Ulv asked as they went down the street towards the desert. “What can we do in the few hours we have left?” He pointed at the sun, nearing the horizon. Brion shifted the weight of the radio to his other hand before replying.

“Get to the magter tower we raided last night, that’s the best chance. The bombs might be there ... Unless you know where the bombs are?”

Ulv shook his head. “I do not know, but some of my people may. We will capture a magter, then kill him, so they can all see the umedvirk. Then they will tell us everything they know.”

“The tower first then, for bombs or a sample magter. What’s the fastest way we can get there?”

Ulv frowned in thought. “If you can drive one of the cars the offworlders use, I know where there are some locked in buildings in this city. None of my people know how they are made to move.”

“I can work them--let’s go.”

Chance was with them this time. The first sand car they found still had the keys in the lock. It was battery-powered, but contained a full charge. Much quieter than the heavy atomic cars, it sped smoothly out of the city and across the sand. Ahead of them the sun sank in a red wave of color. It was six o’clock. By the time they reached the tower it was seven, and Brion’s nerves felt as if they were writhing under his skin.

Even though it looked like suicide, attacking the tower brought blessed relief. It was movement and action, and for moments at a time he forgot the bombs hanging over his head.

The attack was nerve-rackingly anticlimactic. They used the main entrance, Ulv ranging soundlessly ahead. There was no one in sight. Once inside, they crept down towards the lower rooms where the radiation had been detected. Only gradually did they realize that the magter tower was completely empty.

“Everyone gone,” Ulv grunted, sniffing the air in every room that they passed. “Many magter were here earlier, but they are gone now.”

“Do they often desert their towers?” Brion asked.

“Never. I have never heard of it happening before. I can think of no reason why they should do a thing like this.”

“Well, I can,” Brion told him. “They would leave their home if they took something with them of greater value. The bombs. If the bombs were hidden here, they might move them after the attack.” Sudden fear hit him. “Or they might move them because it is time to take them--to the launcher! Let’s get out of here, the quickest way we can.”

“I smell air from outside,” Ulv said, “coming from down there. This cannot be, because the magter have no entrances this low in their towers.”

“We blasted one in earlier--that could be it. Can you find it?”

Moonlight shone ahead as they turned an angle of the corridor, and stars were visible through the gaping opening in the wall.

“It looks bigger than it was,” Brion said, “as if the magter had enlarged it.” He looked through and saw the tracks on the sand outside. “As if they had enlarged it to bring something bulky up from below--and carried it away in whatever made those tracks!”

Using the opening themselves, they ran back to the sand car. Brion ground it fiercely around and turned the headlights on the tracks. There were the marks of a sand car’s treads, half obscured by thin, unmarked wheel tracks. He turned off the lights and forced himself to move slowly and to do an accurate job. A quick glimpse at his watch showed him there were four hours left to go. The moonlight was bright enough to illuminate the tracks. Driving with one hand, he turned on the radio transmitter, already set for Krafft’s wave length.

When the operator acknowledged his signal Brion reported what they had discovered and his conclusions. “Get that message to Commander Krafft now. I can’t wait to talk to him--I’m following the tracks.” He killed the transmission and stamped on the accelerator. The sand car churned and bounced down the track.

“They are going to the mountains,” Ulv said some time later, as the tracks still pointed straight ahead. “There are caves there and many magter have been seen near them; that is what I have heard.”

The guess was correct. Before nine o’clock the ground humped into a range of foothills, and the darker masses of mountains could be seen behind them, rising up to obscure the stars.

“Stop the car here,” Ulv said, “The caves begin not too far ahead. There may be magter watching or listening, so we must go quietly.”

Brion followed the deep-cut grooves, carrying the radio. Ulv came and went on both sides, silently as a shadow, scouting for hidden watchers. As far as he could discover there were none.

By nine-thirty Brion realized they had deserted the sand car too soon. The tracks wound on and on, and seemed to have no end. They passed some caves which Ulv pointed out to him, but the tracks never stopped. Time was running out and the nightmare stumbling through the darkness continued.

“More caves ahead,” Ulv said, “Go quietly.”

They came cautiously to the crest of a hill, as they had done so many times already, and looked into the shallow valley beyond. Sand covered the valley floor, and the light of the setting moon shone over the tracks at a flat angle, marking them off sharply as lines of shadow. They ran straight across the sandy valley and disappeared into the dark mouth of a cave on the far side.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close