Victory
Chapter IV

Public Domain

Prince Queeth of Sugfarth had left the royal belt behind, and only a plain band encircled his round little body as he trotted along, his four legs making almost no sound. His double pair of thin arms and the bird-like head on his long neck bobbled excitedly in time to his steps. Once he stopped to glance across the black stone buildings of the city as they shone in the dull red of the sun, toward the hill where his father’s palace was lighted brightly for the benefit of his Earth guests. Queeth touched his ears together ceremoniously and then trotted on, until he came to the back door of his group’s gymnasium. He whistled the code word and the door opened automatically.

The whole group was assembled, though it was past sleep week for most of them. Their ears clicked together, but they waited silently as he curled himself up in the official box. Then Krhal, the merchant viscount, whistled questioningly. “This will have to be important, Queeth.”

The prince bobbed his ears emphatically. “It is. My father’s guests have all the news, and I learned everything. It won’t be as long as we thought.” He paused, before delivering the big news. “The bipeds of Kloomiria are going to attack Cathay. There’ll be official war there within two weeks!”

He saw them exchanging hasty signals, but again it was Krhal who voiced their question. “And you think that is important, Queeth? What does it offer us? Cathay is a human colony. Earth will have to declare war with her. And with Earth’s wealth, it will be over before we could arrive.”

“Earth has already passed a resolution that neutrality will apply to colonies as well as to other planets!”

This time the whistles were sharper. Krhal had difficulty believing it at first. “So Earth really is afraid to fight? That must mean those rumors that she has no fleet are true. Our ancestors thought so, and even planned to attack her, before the humanoids defeated us. The ancestor king believed that even a single ship fully armed might conquer her.”

“It could be,” Queeth admitted. “But do you agree that this is the news for which we’ve waited so long?”

There was a quick flutter of cars. “It’s our duty,” Krhal agreed. “In a war between Cathay and Kloomiria, we can’t remain neutral if we’re ever to serve our friends. Well, the ship is ready!”

That came as a surprise to Queeth. He knew the plans were well along, but not that they were completed. As merchant viscount, and second-degree adult, Krhal was entitled to a tenth of his father’s interests. He’d chosen the biggest freighter and the balance in fluid assets, to the pleasure of his father--who believed he was planning an honorable career of exploring.

“The conversion completed?” Queeth asked. “But the planet bombs--!”

“Earth supplied them on the last shipment. I explained on the order that I was going to search uninhabited planets for minerals.”

Queeth counted the group again, and was satisfied. There were enough. With a ship of that size, fully staffed and armed, they would be a welcome addition to any fleet. They might be enough to tip the balance for victory, in fact. And while Cathay and Kloomiria lay a long way on the other side of Earth’s system, the drives were fast enough to cover it in two weeks.

“Does your father know?” Krhal asked.

Queeth smirked. “Would you tell him? He still believes along with the Earth ambassador that the warrior strain was ruined among our people when we lost the war with the humanoids.”

“Maybe it was,” Krhal said doubtfully. “In four generations, it could evolve again. And there are the books and traditions from which we trained. If even a timid race such as those of Earth can produce warriors like O’Neill--a mere poet--why can’t the Sugfarth do better? Particularly when Earth rebuilt factories for us to start our shipbuilding anew.”

“Then we join the war,” the prince decided.

There was a series of assent signals from the group.

“Tonight,” he suggested, and again there was only assent.

Krhal stood up, setting the course for the others. When the last had risen, Queeth uncurled himself and rose from the box. “We’ll have to pass near Earth,” he suggested as they filed out toward the hangars where Krhal kept his ship. “Maybe we should show our intentions there!”

There was a sudden whistle of surprise. Then the assent was mounting wildly. Queeth trotted ahead toward the warship, making his attack plans over again as he realized he was a born leader who could command such enthusiasm. He had been doubtful before, in spite of his study of elementary statistical treatment of relationships.

The lights in the palace showed that the Earth guests were still celebrating as the great, heavily-laden warship blasted up and headed toward Earth.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close