Victory - Cover

Victory

Public Domain

Chapter VI

Barth Nevesh was nearly seven feet tall, and his cat-shaped ears stuck up another four inches above his head. Even among the people of Kel he was a big man, but to the representatives of the other humanoid worlds of the Federation, he seemed a giant. The thick furs he wore against the heavy chill of the room added to his apparent size, and the horns growing from his shoulders lifted his robes until he seemed to have no neck.

Now he stood up, driving his heavy fist down against the big wooden table. “The question is, do we have the answer or not?” he roared. “You say we do. Logic says we do. Then let’s act on it!”

The elfin figure of Lemillulot straightened up at the other end of the table. “Not so fast, commander. Nobody questions the power of your fleet. Nobody doubts that we have the only possible answer to the aliens that Earth is helping to take over our universe--strength through unity. But is it as good as it can be?”

“How better?” Barth roared again. “Every world in this alien pocket has been building its strength since the Earthmen’s ships first reached here and showed us space travel was possible. We’ve seen the stinking aliens get the same ships. But now we’ve got something they can’t resist--a Federation, in spite of all Earth could do to stop us. If all our fleets strike at once, no alien world can resist--and we can stop merely holding them back. Wipe them out, one by one, I say! The only good alien is a dead alien!”

There was a lot of talk--more than Barth usually heard or contributed in a month. Lemillulot was the focus of most of it. The little man would never be satisfied. He wanted all the humanoid worlds organized, and by now it was plain that Earth’s influence would be too strong outside of their own section.

Their accomplishments were already enough. United as they were, the Federation was clearly invincible. Their fleets were at full size and the crews were thoroughly trained. No other time would be better.

There had already been a stir of ship-building on the alien worlds, since the first word of the Federation had somehow leaked out. The Federation position was as good as it would ever be--and with eleven fleets working together, nothing better was needed.

“Knock them down with the long shells, haze them to base with interceptors, and then rip their worlds with planet bombs,” Barth repeated his plans. “We can do it in six hours for a planet--we can start at the strongest, Neflis, and work down through the weakest, to make up for our losses. And if the Earth forces start moving in to rebuild them--well, I’ve been thinking the Federation could use a little more wealth and power!”

“Humanoids don’t attack humanoids,” Lemillulot protested.

The snarling, dog face of Sra from Chumkt opened in a grin, and his sly voice held a hint of a chuckle. “Or so Earth keeps preaching. But Earthmen aren’t humanoids. They’re humans!”

He laughed softly at his own wit. There were rumbles of uncertainty, but Barth saw that the seed had taken root. If they kept working together, he and Sra could force it to ripen soon enough.

“That can wait,” Barth decided. “The question is, do we attack Neflis, and when? I say now!”


It took an hour more for the decision. But there would be only one answer, and the final vote was unanimous. The fleets would take off from their home worlds and rendezvous near the barren sun; from there, they would proceed in a group, under the control of Barth, toward the alien world of Neflis.

The commander checked his chronometer as the delegates went to send their coded reports to their home worlds. He had the longest distance to lead his fleet, and there was no time for delay.

Outside, the harsh snow crackled under his feet, and a layer of storm clouds cut off the wan heat of Kel’s sun. He drew in a deep breath, watching the swirl of white as he exhaled. It was a good world--a world to build men. It was the world from which a leader should come.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close