The Revolt of the Star Men - Cover

The Revolt of the Star Men

Public Domain

Chapter III: Hekki's Proposal

When Shelby reached his apartment, he immediately donned his laboratory smock and set to work. But he had scarcely finished mounting a tiny coil of wire within the hand-grip of his weapon, when the view-phone bell rang insistently.

The inventor pulled off his smock and threw it over the materials on his work bench, so that the person at the other end of the view-phone connection, whoever it was, would not be able to see them. Then he snapped the television and audio switches. The mists in the view-plate cleared, and there before him, as real as though he were actually in the room, sat Hekalu Selba. The Martian’s eyes gleamed with suppressed excitement.

“Mr. Shelby,” he was saying, “it may seem strange that I should be calling you so soon, but I have something simply colossal to talk over with you. You must come up to my place immediately! I realize that you may be very busy, but this is important!” And he added, “It’s nothing to discuss over the view-phone. Will you come?--please!”

Shelby was about to make a cold reply, but he checked himself. An intense curiosity gripped him.

“All right, Akar Hekalu,” he said. “I’ll be there.” The switches clicked.

Hastily Austin changed to his street clothes, and then gathered together the material for his weapon and placed them in the wall safe. Only one thing he selected from the jumble of apparatus--a tiny pinkish crystal, without which it was impossible to produce the Atomic Ray. This he secreted in a hollow button on his sleeve.

For a long moment he stared at his automatic, which lay on his work bench. “Better take you along,” he muttered at length, “--may need you.”

A wizened black-clad man whom Shelby surmised was the slave Alka, met him at the entrance on the landing platform of a quaint Martian tower atop a huge apartment building, and ushered him into an elevator. He was whisked rapidly downward, and emerged into the central light-well which pierced the structure from top to bottom. The barbaric tapestries upon the walls of this tall cylindrical chamber, the tiling of the floor, which consisted of squares and circles and spear points of various colored stone, fitted artfully together, giving an effect of pleasant disorder. And most of all, the smell of strange incense in the air, told Shelby that he had dropped into a little bit of old Pagar or Mars. Evidently the Prince of Selba was master of the entire tower, which, in itself, was by no means small.

Alka led the way down a short passage, and admitted the Earthman to a large sumptuously furnished room, one end of which was softly illuminated by a quaintly beautiful floor lamp. The farther end of the room was in complete darkness. The Pagarian architects had made it imitate the interior of a natural cavern, for where the light approached the gloom, two glassy stalactites gleamed with a scintillant elfin light.

Shelby had but a moment to take note of his surroundings--the dark hangings woven with silver threads, the embossed shield and spear of an ancient Martian warrior mounted on the wall--before Hekalu entered. The young man saw at once that the noble had lost his air of bored languor which he had noticed about him at the time of their first meeting. His eyes flashed with excitement and his movements were quick and cat-like.

“I see that you have come quickly, Mr. Shelby,” said the Martian, “and I am glad. Won’t you sit down?”

With scarcely a pause he continued: “I have great wealth, my friend, and while your means do not seem to be small, I believe that it would be very convenient to you to have them supplemented. Suppose I gave you say, ten times as many jewels as are in the tray over on that stand?” Shelby looked in the direction the Martian indicated. He saw a flat shallow container of considerable size. At its center squatted a repulsive thing about eight inches high, carved from a clear crystalline substance from which there flashed countless points of icy, wicked fire--a huge diamond!

Heaped around it were hundreds of magnificent red tabalti, most prized of all gems. An expert appraiser had recently told Shelby that in two worlds only thirteen of them were known to exist. And now he was being offered all these stones by one who hinted that he was willing to give him ten times as many--an utterly staggering fortune!

Hekalu’s words fairly dumbfounded Shelby, but they grated upon his sense of pride as well. Nevertheless, his face gave no hint of what passed through his mind. An angry reply, he decided, was out of place.

“Naturally, Akar Hekalu, you want something in return for your amazing generosity,” he said coolly. “Of course, I could not accept your offer under any other circumstances.”

The Martian nodded. “I have it from a reliable source, Mr. Shelby, that you are the inventor of a terrible weapon--an atomic ray which might be dangerous in the hands of unworthy persons. Turn the weapon over to me as well as all information concerning its operation and construction, and promise to say not a word more about the weapon to anyone, and I will give you the jewels at once.”

A flash of surprise passed across Shelby’s face but he quickly masked it. So this was it! But how was it that the noble had learned of his invention? Could it be that Janice Darell was playing a double hand?--his Jan. He dismissed the idea as preposterous and utterly disloyal.


The Earthman rose to his feet and addressed the Martian coldly. “If I have such a device I believe that I can place it in better hands than yours.”

Hekalu Selba’s face gave no hint of anger; in fact he seemed at the point of laughing. “You have done as I expected you would. Your refusal shows me how patriotic you are and gratifies me very much, Mr. Shelby,” he said blandly. “You are as a man of Earth should be. However, there is another side to the question. I have certain plans and to have you at large might endanger their fulfillment. Therefore I must ask you to accompany me on a little trip. That weapon of yours will be well taken care of. Now, kindly raise your hands high above your head.” The Martian was pointing a bejeweled automatic straight at the chest of his visitor. “You are being covered from two other points in this room so try not to cause any misunderstanding,” he added.

Shelby saw the wisdom of obeying the order for he felt quite certain that Hekalu Selba and his minions would not hesitate to shoot him down. What a colossal idiot he had been! He had sensed a trap when the noble had called him over the view-phone and yet he had taken no sensible precautions!

Hekki was searching him now. His long fingers were moving deftly from pocket to pocket. They closed upon his automatic and drew it forth. “Ah,” the Martian breathed, “it’s as I thought. You have brought a souvenir. A most worthy precaution. And, now that you are no longer in a position to cause any trouble,” he continued sneeringly, “I may as well tell you about my ambition--Oh, it is simple enough; men have thought of it before but none had the nerve or ability to put it over. Briefly it is this--to become Master of both Earth and Mars! My friends are waiting for me out there beyond the Red Planet--waiting for their commander. And there is another little hope--there is a certain beautiful flower of your race--” Here he stopped to allow his captive to imagine the rest.

A hard light came into Austin Shelby’s eyes. It was the only outward indication of the sudden tornado of emotions and thoughts that swirled in his mind. This man sought to enforce his will upon the planets! The question of whether he was capable of realizing this tremendous dream or not, the Earthman did not pause to debate.

Fifty years before, Saranov had attempted it, and as a result a score of great cities became shambles. Certainly the present foe of mankind was more powerful than Saranov. The monstrous associate of Hekalu and the flitting specks of light far beyond Mars seemed to bear out the nobleman’s boast. And if he somehow got possession of the Atomic Ray! And Jan--What was he going to do to Jan! Certainly it was she to whom he had referred! It was this last idea which hammered on Shelby’s brain hardest of all. A little fiend within him seemed to shriek. “Escape! Send your weapon to the War Office! Kill Selba if you can, for everything is at stake!” Escape, yes, but how?

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close