The People of the Black Circle - Cover

The People of the Black Circle

Public Domain

On to Yimsha

As mists vanish before a strong wind, the cobwebs vanished from Conan’s brain. With a searing curse he leaped into the saddle and the stallion reared neighing beneath him. He glared up the slopes, hesitated, and then turned down the trail in the direction he had been going when halted by Khemsa’s trickery. But now he did not ride at a measured gait. He shook loose the reins and the stallion went like a thunderbolt, as if frantic to lose hysteria in violent physical exertion. Across the ledge and around the crag and down the narrow trail threading the great steep they plunged at breakneck speed. The path followed a fold of rock, winding interminably down from tier to tier of striated escarpment, and once, far below, Conan got a glimpse of the ruin that had fallen--a mighty pile of broken stone and boulders at the foot of a gigantic cliff.

The valley floor was still far below him when he reached a long and lofty ridge that led out from the slope like a natural causeway. Out upon this he rode, with an almost sheer drop on either hand. He could trace ahead of him the trail and made a great horseshoe back into the river-bed at his left hand. He cursed the necessity of traversing those miles, but it was the only way. To try to descend to the lower lap of the trail here would be to attempt the impossible. Only a bird could get to the river-bed with a whole neck.

So he urged on the wearying stallion, until a clink of hoofs reached his ears, welling up from below. Pulling up short and reining to the lip of the cliff, he stared down into the dry river-bed that wound along the foot of the ridge. Along that gorge rode a motley throng--bearded men on half-wild horses, five hundred strong, bristling with weapons. And Conan shouted suddenly, leaning over the edge of the cliff, three hundred feet above them.

At his shout they reined back, and five hundred bearded faces were tilted up towards him; a deep, clamorous roar filled the canyon. Conan did not waste words.

‘I was riding for Ghor!’ he roared. ‘I had not hoped to meet you dogs on the trail. Follow me as fast as your nags can push! I’m going to Yimsha, and--’

‘Traitor!’ The howl was like a dash of ice-water in his face.

‘What?’ He glared down at them, jolted speechless. He saw wild eyes blazing up at him, faces contorted with fury, fists brandishing blades.

‘Traitor!’ they roared back, wholeheartedly. ‘Where are the seven chiefs held captive in Peshkhauri?’

‘Why, in the governor’s prison, I suppose, ‘ he answered.

A bloodthirsty yell from a hundred throats answered him, with such a waving of weapons and a clamor that he could not understand what they were saying. He beat down the din with a bull-like roar, and bellowed: ‘What devil’s play is this? Let one of you speak, so I can understand what you mean!’

A gaunt old chief elected himself to this position, shook his tulwar at Conan as a preamble, and shouted accusingly: ‘You would not let us go raiding Peshkhauri to rescue our brothers!’

‘No, you fools!’ roared the exasperated Cimmerian. ‘Even if you’d breached the wall, which is unlikely, they’d have hanged the prisoners before you could reach them.’

‘And you went alone to traffic with the governor!’ yelled the Afghuli, working himself into a frothing frenzy.

‘Well?’

‘Where are the seven chiefs?’ howled the old chief, making his tulwar into a glimmering wheel of steel about his head. ‘Where are they? Dead!’

‘What!’ Conan nearly fell off his horse in his surprize.

‘Aye, dead!’ five hundred bloodthirsty voices assured him.

The old chief brandished his arms and got the floor again. ‘They were not hanged!’ he screeched. ‘A Wazuli in another cell saw them die! The governor sent a wizard to slay them by craft!’

‘That must be a lie, ‘ said Conan. ‘The governor would not dare. Last night I talked with him--’

The admission was unfortunate. A yell of hate and accusation split the skies.

‘Aye! You went to him alone! To betray us! It is no lie. The Wazuli escaped through the doors the wizard burst in his entry, and told the tale to our scouts whom he met in Zhaibar. They had been sent forth to search for you, when you did not return. When they heard the Wazuli’s tale, they returned with all haste to Ghor, and we saddled our steeds and girt our swords!’

‘And what do you fools mean to do?’ demanded the Cimmerian.

‘To avenge our brothers!’ they howled. ‘Death to the Kshatriyas! Slay him, brothers, he is a traitor!’

Arrows began to rattle around him. Conan rose in his stirrups, striving to make himself heard above the tumult, and then, with a roar of mingled rage, defiance and disgust, he wheeled and galloped back up the trail. Behind him and below him the Afghulis came pelting, mouthing their rage, too furious even to remember that the only way they could reach the height whereon he rode was to traverse the river-bed in the other direction, make the broad bend and follow the twisting trail up over the ridge. When they did remember this, and turned back, their repudiated chief had almost reached the point where the ridge joined the escarpment.

At the cliff he did not take the trail by which he had descended, but turned off on another, a mere trace along a rock-fault, where the stallion scrambled for footing. He had not ridden far when the stallion snorted and shied back from something lying in the trail. Conan stared down on the travesty of a man, a broken, shredded, bloody heap that gibbered and gnashed splintered teeth.

Impelled by some obscure reason, Conan dismounted and stood looking down at the ghastly shape, knowing that he was witness of a thing miraculous and opposed to nature. The Rakhsha lifted his gory head, and his strange eyes, glazed with agony and approaching death, rested on Conan with recognition.

‘Where are they?’ It was a racking croak not even remotely resembling a human voice.

‘Gone back to their damnable castle on Yimsha, ‘ grunted Conan. ‘They took the Devi with them.’

‘I will go!’ muttered the man. ‘I will follow them! They killed Gitara; I will kill them--the acolytes, the Four of the Black Circle, the Master himself! Kill--kill them all!’ He strove to drag his mutilated frame along the rock, but not even his indomitable will could animate that gory mass longer, where the splintered bones hung together only by torn tissue and ruptured fibre.

‘Follow them!’ raved Khemsa, drooling a bloody slaver. ‘Follow!’

‘I’m going to, ‘ growled Conan. ‘I went to fetch my Afghulis, but they’ve turned on me. I’m going on to Yimsha alone. I’ll have the Devi back if I have to tear down that damned mountain with my bare hands. I didn’t think the governor would dare kill my headmen, when I had the Devi, but it seems he did. I’ll have his head for that. She’s no use to me now as a hostage, but--’

‘The curse of Yizil on them!’ gasped Khemsa. ‘Go! I am dying. Wait--take my girdle.’

He tried to fumble with a mangled hand at his tatters, and Conan, understanding what he sought to convey, bent and drew from about his gory waist a girdle of curious aspect.

‘Follow the golden vein through the abyss, ‘ muttered Khemsa. ‘Wear the girdle. I had it from a Stygian priest. It will aid you, though it failed me at last. Break the crystal globe with the four golden pomegranates. Beware of the Master’s transmutations--I am going to Gitara--she is waiting for me in hell--aie, ya Skelos yar!‘ And so he died.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close