Building a Legacy - Cover

Building a Legacy

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

9: Touching Base with the Source of One’s Inspiration

Diane Kennedy greeted Alex and Winona when they arrived for Winona’s first practice session. “I’m glad to see you made it OK.” She motioned at the confusing mass of bustling people surrounding them. “As you can see, things are a bit crazy here this morning.” This was the nicest Alex had ever seen her behave, and he wondered just how much of it was due to the pressure on her to reverse the downward slide of her tour since Patricia left.

The place was indeed quite chaotic. They were in an older auditorium currently undergoing renovations and therefore closed to the public. However, that also meant there was an odd mix of people and activities filling it. The parking lot outside was a good indication of what they found inside. There were the expensive limousines of producers, the ratty vans of musicians, the cheap cars and motorcycles of the support people and the beat up pickup trucks of the construction workers.

The main stage was filled with people who didn’t seem to belong together. There were musicians tuning their instruments, business people in suits, technical people adjusting equipment, people with clipboards making notes and construction people working around them as if this was an everyday part of their work environment. What’s more, the place was a mess. There were plastic tarps covering much of the walls and extensive scaffolding providing access to wall repairs, the overhead rafters, and hidden access panels. Many of the auditorium seats had been removed, but a few rows remained and these were filled with people waiting their turn at something or other, even though Alex couldn’t figure out what they were waiting for.

The open areas had been hastily partitioned with drop cloths to restrict dust, and the construction areas were clearly separated, but it didn’t diminish the sense of general pandemonium. What made it all worse was the cacophony of noise all the activity produced. With people talking, musicians strumming, nails being hammered and sanders buzzing, it was hard to hear much of anything. Alex wondered how the musicians would be able to hear themselves rehearse.

“Are you sure this is legal?” Alex asked, glancing doubtfully at the construction going on around them.

“Hell, they allow it, so it’s legal, for now at least,” Diane answered with a wave of her hand. “This kind of access to a space at the last minute doesn’t come cheap, but it was either this or put the entire concert on hold for months until a suitable space could be reserved. Someone apparently paid off the politicians to look the other way so no one would complain. But,” she added, waving towards the area with the construction workers working at the back of the deep stage, “you’ll also notice the actual construction is well away from where everyone is working, so there’s no real danger to anyone. The problem is the confusion, high traffic and noise.”

Alex spun in place, carefully examining the actual construction and had to agree; as chaotic as it looked, the confusion was actually very segregated and restricted.

“Come on, I want you to meet someone,” Diane said, dragging Alex and Winona over to another group of people where a bald man in an out of place suit was talking to a group of people. Of course, that left the others with nothing to do, so they made their way off the stage to find seats they could actually sit in on the floor of the auditorium.

“This is Reggie Fitzpatrick, the show’s new producer,” she said, introducing a balding older man in a sports jacket and an open neck shirt with a white beard and dark sunglasses, which looked out of place inside the theater.

“I’m so excited to be working with you, Winona. I’ve heard so many good things about you,” he gushed, despite no one other than Diane ever having heard her sing before. “I hope we can get you settled so you can get started, you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you this week,” he said, although his attention seemed to be focused on Alex. Alex frowned at the unanticipated attention. He was only there to provide moral support, as he had no real role in the proceedings.

“You must be the mysterious Alex everyone keeps talking about,” he said, turning to address Alex and extending his hand for Alex to shake. “I got a call yesterday saying this was suddenly a big priority, and when they explained what was happening, they casually mentioned I was to give you whatever you wanted.” He gave Alex an appraising glance before continuing. “Somehow you’re supposed to be the key to the whole operation, even though you don’t sing, promote, support or even work here.”

“Hey, I’m just here to support Winona,” Alex said, trying to melt into the background. Something which was difficult to do as Reggie examined him while they shook hands.

“Patricia kept saying this new girl, who’s never sung professionally, was going to turn the entire tour around, but she also kept saying you were ‘instrumental’ in changing things. So tell me, exactly what is it you’re bringing to the table?”

“He’s Winona’s inspiration,” Diane explained, coming to Alex’s rescue. “He was responsible for energizing Patty’s career and for the success she’s had recently. What’s more, he seems to bring in more people, though I haven’t quite worked out how he does that, since no one ever mentions him.”

Alex blushed, unsure how to address the issue. “Hey, I’m just a pretty boy who inspired Patricia to write some fun songs.”

Reggie and Diane both laughed heartily at that, though whether they found the idea of Alex being a ‘pretty boy’ so outrageous or they didn’t believe his downplaying his role, Alex wasn’t sure.

“Well, pretty boy, you just keep on inspiring away. Winona has a lot of work ahead of her for the next week, and she’s going to need all the help she can get.”

“We’ve brought in a bunch of potential band members,” Diane explained, turning to Winona, to Alex’s relief. “Since they’ll be your band, the final choice is up to you, so you’ll need to talk to and play with them to see if you can get along, but we’ve managed to find some of the best people available,” she assured them, although Alex found that idea doubtful, seeing as they’d only been looking for the last couple days, hardly enough time for them to put out calls, not to mention talking to managers, working out schedules or resolving conflicts. But Alex figured he was in the background here, so he let Winona make her own stand.

“Well, let’s start. I’m anxious to get a group together and start practicing,” Winona told her.

“We’ve also got a voice coach here,” Diane offered, “in case you have any problem areas you want help with. The acoustics aren’t great in here at the moment, so you may not be able to tell how your voice carries, but you should be able to tell how well you work with the musicians.”

“Good, I’ll focus on the guitarists first, since I’m more familiar with them. I don’t really know much about drummers, so I’ll just talk to whoever we decide is best to see if we get along. The backup singers, though, I’ll want to sing with before I decide,” Winona said, showing she was ready for the work ahead of her.

Winona actually took the bull by the horns and appeared prepared, decisive and confident and things progressed quickly. Alex tried to stay in the background but still be there in a supportive role, but a couple of times, someone would wander into the auditorium from outside, and each time Alex and Cate would move aside to speak to them for a little while before Alex would return.

“Do you want me to close the set?” Reggie asked. Diane, rather than responding herself, turned to Alex, who was the only one being affected by these outside interruptions.

“Don’t worry, it’s not affecting anyone else, but it’s what I do,” he tried to explain. “People seek me out, looking for advice. It generally doesn’t take long to set them straight, but it’s not something I can easily avoid.”

“So you’re a spiritual adviser, a new age holistic healer?” Reggie asked, still trying to figure out Alex’s role. He knew Alex was held in high regard by everyone involved, but he couldn’t understand why.

“Hardly, I eat the same crap everyone else does. I’m not likely to live long enough for animal fat or refined sugar to do me any harm. Instead, these people seek me out, looking for answers. When they show up I can hardly turn them away, and what I tell them isn’t about how to live, but about who they are and how to deal with life. I tell them things which are not only important for their own lives, but also for their kids and their kids’ kids.”

Reggie just shrugged, still not able to figure this kid out as he walked away shaking his head. Yet the one who didn’t respond like that, but who’d always done so in the past, was Diane. She’d noticed the women seeking him out, coming in from off the street—not an easy thing seeing as how they weren’t close to anything.

She saw parallels to what she’d only peripherally noticed during her previous concerts. It wasn’t just Patty and Winona who saw Alex as an inspirational figure. He pulled people into the concerts from off the street, people who might not be attracted purely because of the music. What’s more, each one responded just like Patty and Winona. They weren’t just curious, they were excited to be near him, and that enthusiasm was contagious. Even if it was only a few people involved each time, it translated into a sense of excitement which electrified the concerts. That feeling of excitement spread as people talked to one another, and more people had sought out her concerts to see what was occurring under her own nose. Diane promised herself she’d keep an eye on this strange kid. There was clearly more going on here than she’d given him credit for. She didn’t know exactly what, but if she could, she wanted to capitalize on it.

By the time they were ready to break for the day, Winona had picked several musicians. Since she hadn’t handpicked people she’d already known, like Patricia had done, none of them had any affiliation with Alex beforehand, but she’d still picked more women than men. They were: Guy Peters, the lead guitarist, an intense young man who appeared to take his music and his job very seriously; Mary Watson, a bright and bubbly blonde backup singer; Steve Blanco, the drummer, a no-nonsense guy who also didn’t appear to fit the traditional image of the high living musician; Susan Simons, a dark haired soulful backup singer and finally Taylor Moore, their female backup guitarist, also with dark hair but with a decidedly sunnier disposition.

“I’m so glad this is all turning out so well,” Winona gushed, eager to discuss the day’s proceedings.

“Well, I’ve got to say, you seem suited to this,” Alex replied with a reassuring smile. “You’re confident and self-assured. You seem a natural at this.”

“Hardly,” she scoffed, though she smiled nevertheless. “I’ve never done anything like this before. But I just keep telling myself that the same spirits who guide you will do the same for me. I could never have done it if it weren’t for you. As for my confidence, it’s all a front. I realized if I act like an indecisive wallflower they’ll walk all over me, so I’m simply playing a role. I’m making snap decisions, assuming if I go too far off someone will pull me back, but I’d rather be wrong than have other people dictating who I should work with or what I should do. After all, this isn’t about me, or even about the music. This is about you and your message, and I don’t want anyone who’ll get in the way of that, so I’ve been picking mostly non-prima donna types.”

“I’ve noticed,” Alex reflected. “There’s not a long-haired, wild party animal in the bunch.”

“No, I’ve gone with the studio musicians, the people more interested in the job than in the lifestyle. I figure they’ll be a better influence and more focused. I can’t have a bunch of people more interested in getting high than getting the right message across.”

“Still, don’t you think that might limit the potential talent pool you’re drawing from?” Alex asked, quickly glancing at Cate to make sure she didn’t take the attention he was paying Winona badly. She was watching the two of them like a hawk, but she seemed to be taking it all in stride. She may not be OK with it, but he’d only find out later when they were alone.

“Alex, take a look around you,” Winona suggested. “They managed to pull all the non-flamboyant people they could find. All the people who are struggling. All the high flying stars are either not returning calls, or are still passed out from last night. But it’s these struggling types who will work harder and be more focused on what we’re trying to achieve. True, they might not shine as much as the others, but I think they’ll be more appreciative of the chance they’ve been given and will rise to the occasion as a result. After all, they know better than to get blitzed one night and risk losing their one chance at fame and fortune.”

“Well, you’re doing a great job in either case and your lack of experience isn’t apparent. I’m proud of you and I can see you’re going to do well.” Alex was trying to encourage her, but he was sincere. She did seem to be quite serious, something that Cate, sitting down in the seating below the stage, didn’t seem to appreciate. But Alex saw her expanding her talents and spreading herself beyond her simple fascination with him. Hopefully the one would counter the other.

Reggie must have been thinking about what Alex had said earlier, because he returned later while Winona was practicing with the new musicians.

“So just what kind of crap do you tell these women to impress them so much?”

“Are you sure you really want to know?” Alex asked, cocking his head.

“Yeah, I’m really curious. I mean, you seem like a nice kid, and I don’t want to work off incorrect assumptions, but...” He said, not wanting to openly say what he was afraid of.

“Could you stand up for a second and turn around?”

Reggie shrugged, standing up and turning around slowly for Alex’s benefit. When he finally sat down Alex turned and yelled over Reggie’s shoulder.

“Gini?”

“I haven’t seen it before,” she called back, “so I had to check with Liv and Caity, but it looks like he’s got a kidney stone and is about to develop a case of Shingles.”

Reggie spun around, glancing at the woman who’d just passed judgment on his health, wondering what she was talking about.

“She’s right,” Alex told him. “If you haven’t noticed it before, you’ll have proof soon enough. While you don’t have to believe us, chances are if you don’t, you’ll be incapacitated with incredible pain for several days. You’ll either have to delay everyone, or they’ll find someone to replace you. I’d suggest you get those things treated. I’m told the kidney stones can be treated by changing your eating habits, that is if it’s not already too late. Otherwise they can use sound waves, even if it’s not obvious you have them yet. As for the shingles, there’s not much you can do, as most doctors won’t prescribe powerful painkillers until they confirm the diagnosis, which requires you to show symptoms, which you aren’t yet. It may be fine, as many people don’t suffer that much pain, but some people do.”

“You’re obviously not used to medicine around here,” Reggie laughed. “It’s not hard to get codeine if you really want it, but unfortunately I’m a recovering addict, so I can’t take it.”

“Then you may be in for a rough ride, as I’m told it can be incredibly painful. I’m not sure there’s anything you can do to head it off, though.”

“Well, thanks for the warning, but I suspect I can last till the end of the week, considering I haven’t had any symptoms yet,” Reggie suggested, taking the warning lightly.

“My people say you only have a couple of days left, at the maximum.”

“Your people?” Reggie asked, examining Alex closely. However, Alex merely shrugged with a ‘what can I say’ expression. Reggie finally got up and wandered off, not sure what to make of this outlandish advice. Nothing more was said, but Reggie took off early after talking on his cellphone, so it looked like he was more worried than he’d let on.


When the day finally wound down, Winona was decidedly enthused.

“Man, I can’t believe everything that happened,” she said, tossing her bag on the table in the central entranceway. “I’m excited at the idea of getting together tomorrow to play with the new band.”

Cate was smart enough not to say anything, but Alex could see her rolling her eyes behind Winona. He decided not to say anything and call attention to it.

“You’ve got a pretty exciting week ahead of you, as well as a lot of work,” Alex cautioned her.

“Yeah, I know, but still, this is all new and I want to make sure we get it right. By the way, I’d like to have you meet the band to try to explain what we’re trying to achieve.”

“You mean; tell all those dedicated musicians their music is only of secondary importance?” Alex asked with a laugh. “I’m sure that’ll go over well.”

“Well, maybe you don’t phrase it quite like that,” Winona offered, frowning as she considered how one would go about explaining the situation.

“So did anyone notice how the producer took off in such a hurry before the day was done?” Cate asked, smiling at the memory.

“I may have helped with that,” Gini suggested with a lopsided grin.

“Pray tell, what does that mean?” Alex asked.

“When he excused himself to go to the restroom, I figured it was my best chance to get him alone. I followed him in, and when he saw me he backed up against the sinks. I advanced, pointed out his tonsillectomy, his missing gall bladder, and damage to his liver from his earlier partying, and then suggested he should pay attention to what you told him since you know much more than you let on. At that point I left him alone to do his business. I saw him on his phone shortly afterwards, and then he disappeared a little later.”

“You’re mean,” Alex teased.

“He’d never have paid attention to you until he was incapacitated otherwise,” she replied. “This way, he’ll either get it taken care of, or he can step aside and find us another producer.”

“Normally I’d vote for another producer, but I hate to have to do that again with a new guy,” Alex laughed.

“You don’t think you revealed too much?” Kitty asked skeptically.

Alex grinned. “No, these Hollywood types are all into alternative religions and health anyway. If he thinks we’ve got the newest thing, he’ll do whatever he can to help us out. I may have to fend him off if he gets too crazy about it, but if we play it right, it may help.”

“Well just be careful,” Kitty warned. “There’s no telling what an out of control believer who doesn’t understand what he believes might do.”

“Yeah, I have to wrestle with that whenever I tell anyone about me. Each represents a distinct risk. But still, this guy has no direct evidence of anything, all he could do is make some unbelievable claims.”

“Or sink the tour,” Winona pointed out.

“I doubt that,” Alex replied. “It would hurt his career and cost him whatever he’s investing in it. I’d hope that would count for more than anything else.”

“Well, here’s to hoping. I’ve always hoped I’d be a multi-millionaire,” Chalise laughed. “I’m still waiting.”

“Not me. I never dreamed I’d ever be a big-time singer,” Winona replied. “I’m not sure I’m ready for it, even now that it’s happening.”

Alex approached Chalise and Kitty, wrapping his arms around them. “Well, I hate to break this up, but I need to take these two back to Los Angeles so they can make their flight out in the morning. We can’t make the drive in the morning, due to the heavy traffic, but we shouldn’t run into much this time of night.”

“You know, it would have been easy enough having them fly out of here,” Winona pointed out.

Alex sighed, knowing what she was implying. “I decided not to reschedule their flight simply because it gives me time away from all these distractions to dedicate to them, well away from business executives, producers and other distractions.” Winona simply shrugged, but the others didn’t have an issue with it.

Robin rose from her seat, where she’d been quietly watching the discussion, as usual. “Well, since you’re taking off, now’s probably a good time to tell you Kuubba and I will be leaving as well. Kuubba doesn’t feel comfortable here and has to finish moving. Even though I’m more used to cities and have had a great time, I really need to get back to tend to my people and to check on your people who are struggling to fit in,” she smiled, insinuating the displaced Utah tribe was now Alex’s personal responsibility.

“Well, I’m glad you could make it here and I’ll miss you,” Alex said, giving her a big hug. “But, yeah, this certainly isn’t Kuubba’s cup of tea; especially since I can’t dedicate much time to you.”

“You not at fault,” Kuubba told him. “It fascinating seeing you deal with different groups. I was proud to watch you work,” she said, coming forward to give him a kiss.

Alex gave her a big hug, wishing the two of them luck. Finally Winona closed in on him.

“Once you drop off your girlfriends, lose your sister and we can get to know each other again,” she suggested, whispering in his ear so no one else could hear.

Alex rolled his eyes, though the display was lost since no one could see it. He could picture the trouble that would cause with Cate, but he also had to admit she had a point. He really needed to reinforce his relationship with this potential mother of his heir. After all, she’d be the one telling his child what kind of man he was, and it wouldn’t help if she painted him as someone eager to avoid them both.

Cate is right to worry about Winona,’ Robin told him telepathically when he broke his hug with Winona. ‘Although you need her, I’d be careful.

I thought you were all on the same team?‘ Alex asked, intrigued by this latest partisanship.

‘We trust you, ‘ she reminded him. ‘We don’t have to trust your followers, especially those who can’t understand the source of your abilities. We’re concerned with your success. If she threatens that, then we’re decidedly with you,’ she pointed out.

“I’ll stay here so I can get to the session tomorrow,” Winona said, smiling innocently.

“Are you sure that’s such a good idea? Wouldn’t you do better in a room of your own?” Cate asked, trying her hardest not to sound overly harsh.

“Cate has a good point,” Alex suggested, trying to be diplomatic. “Although you’ll have the place to yourself tonight, you could probably benefit from having your own room. I’m sure the show’s producers would cover your room, and they’d probably feel better if you weren’t quite so intricately tied to me.”

“That does make sense,” Winona reflected after considering it for only a moment. Alex could tell she’d interpreted his suggestion differently than he’d intended, seeing it as a handy excuse to get together with her without Cate being privy to what they did. “I’ll call Reggie and get his authorization and then I’ll see what I can arrange. Hopefully I can get something on the same floor.”

“That might be a bit difficult,” Gini suggested, hoping to let Cate off the hook of having to play the bad guy once again. “Ahmed Asghar paid for this suite as a way to impress Alex. Chances are Reggie would question paying that much before you’ve proven you’re capable of generating any extra income.”

“You have a point,” Winona answered, frowning in thought. “Damn, I hate to be separated from you when there’s so much at stake over the next week. I’ll need to discuss how you want to approach things throughout the day and into the evening, and it would help if I could meet people in the evenings with you there as well.

“Oh well, it is what it is,” she sighed. “If I have to move to another floor, I will. After all, you’ll know where to find me and I can always reach you if I need to,” she said, flashing Alex a big smile and winking at him with her right eye so Cate couldn’t see it where she was standing. Cate, though, was more than happy Winona wouldn’t be sleeping in the same suite, where she could ‘accidentally’ climb into his bed, stumble into his shower, or even worse, prevent her from sleeping with her brother.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close