Building a Legacy
19: Beyond Death and Oblivion

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

“So have you made any headway on your ‘inter-dimensional GPS’?” Becky teased. Though the question was serious, she and the others were trying to pull Alex out of his shell. They were driving through downtown Portland and Alex had been silent for most of the trip, as he often was recently, only now he looked even more troubled. Becky and the others had left him alone to work it out, but now that he needed to deal with new followers, Becky was anxious to see what he’d discovered.

“I’ve been considering it, but I just can’t figure out the necessary mechanism,” Alex sighed, frustrated after considering the question repeatedly with little success. “Humans just don’t have any internal brain functions which allow someone to locate signals in some other dimension.”

“Well, obviously they do, since people have been dying for ages,” Winona shouted from the other end of the bus, demonstrating she couldn’t help overhearing the discussion, but didn’t actually appreciate it. Alex shot her a look, but didn’t seem disturbed by the critique.

“I need to know how to tap into an existing structure,” Alex responded, spreading his hands in a gesture of helplessness, “something I can use to either grab information or boost an innate ability. If there’s some structure I don’t know about, then there’s no way to take advantage of it.”

“You know,” Becky said, smiling knowingly at her brother, glad to offer him some advice for a change, “usually when someone runs into an intellectual roadblock, it’s a sign their approach isn’t working.” As much as she loved spending so much time with him, she felt frustrated she wasn’t as good as Cate at coming up with answers on the spot. “Generally when that happens, it’s best to go back and take a different tack. ‘Thinking outside the box’, if you will, allows you to come up with a whole new tactic.”

“Hmm, it makes sense,” Alex said. “I haven’t gotten anywhere with my current approach, though I’m at a loss about new options. I mean, if I don’t understand how I do what I’m currently doing, trying to figure out something I’ve never done might be asking for the impossible.”

“Well, maybe approaching it from a new direction will spark ideas you hadn’t considered,” Becky offered, although truth be told, she didn’t have any suggestions either. Alex was correct, it was certainly a quandary.

“What if you don’t do anything to the human brain?” Melinda suggested.

“Uh, and what good is boosting a rock?” Alex asked, cocking his head in curiosity.

“Well, if we’re thinking outside the box, maybe we need to consider something completely different,” she said. “How about if you worked with a non-human mind? Recent studies have shown that certain bugs use astral navigation to find their way, and don’t bees tap into multiple dimensions when doing their dances to show other bees where to find flowers?”

“Well, look who’s been catching up on her reviews of recent scientific studies,” Alex said with a smile, proud that his middle sister—who’d never shown an interest in science until recently—was now quoting the latest research findings.

“Actually, the as yet unsubstantiated theory is that they somehow sense extra dimensions in space here on Earth, and convey that in two-dimensional dances. That’s not even close to what Alex does,” Becky corrected her.

“Besides, how is that going to help?” Alex asked, still trying to figure out how he could use this—or any idea. “I boost a bee so it can guide us into the afterlife?”

“No,” Melinda replied defensively. “But wasn’t the idea to brainstorm? To think of different approaches and see whether any new ideas pop up? You could use a large beetle’s or a bird’s brain and then link that into one of your follower’s brains?”

“Hmm, I’ll have to consider that,” Alex said, stroking his cheek as he considered the idea. “Again, I’m not sure what to attempt with them, but it would make sense to experiment on something other than humans. I tried that initially with Cate’s mice, though. The links I created in their little brains were too big and I ended up with brain dead mice.”

“Uh, not to pose stupid questions which will bring this discussion to a screeching halt,” Gini offered, “but if everyone jumps to a new species when they die, wouldn’t killing an insect be as bad as killing a human?”

Alex frowned, unhappy he hadn’t considered that option. But Becky jumped in, hoping to prevent the discussion from going off-track. “There’s no indication insects have the kinds of emotions humans do. If we jump, then the assumption is we’d jump to similar creatures, at least something capable of emotional and intellectual functioning. If this inter-dimensional communication has any purpose, it would be to allow the dead to find a compatible body to transition into.”

“I don’t know about that,” Steve Blanco, the band’s drummer interrupted, “but I don’t think you have time to thrash it out anymore. We’re here at the hotel,” he announced as he eased over in front of a large building. “The place we’re playing is over twenty miles from here, so we’re just checking in, dropping off our stuff, and then we’ll head for the Sleep Country Amphitheater.” He motioned towards the door, while leaning back and taking a drink of his coffee, putting his feet up on the dashboard showing he wasn’t going any further. “We know you like to tool around the city, looking for people before the concert, so we didn’t think you’d mind, but we’re offering you front door service since I’ve got to sit here waiting for everyone to get back.”

“Well, thank you, my good man,” Alex said, getting up and bowing in an exaggerated, playful manner. “Can I offer you a tip, say maybe the keys to heaven, or if you can’t use that, maybe a wooden nickel?”

Winona punched his arm as she passed. “You’re a real funny man. It’s a good thing you have other talents, because you’d never make it as a comedian. Come on, walk me inside. This is probably the last time I’ll actually see you until we get back tonight. Unlike your followers, I can’t see you glowing from miles away.”

Winona proceeded to lead Alex outside the bus, hugging his arm tight.

“Uh, wait a minute, let me grab my bag,” Alex told her, turning back and shrugging her off.

Becky, seeing the look in Winona’s eyes, could see trouble developing. She knew that look well and was also familiar with Winona’s temper. Alex had been ignoring her—just as he had everyone—but Winona didn’t like being ignored. Becky realized if she didn’t do something, Winona would be on the warpath again. So far, she’d gotten along pretty well with both of Alex’s sisters, unlike how she’d reacted to Cate, so Becky didn’t want to get on her bad side if she could avoid it. She knew Alex would always pick them, but there’s no sense setting yourself up for trouble if all it takes to avoid it is a little diplomacy.

“Don’t worry, Alex, we’ll get it,” she assured him with a gentle wave of her hand.

“Are you sure? I’m right here and it’s easy enough for me to—”

“Nonsense, you go ahead and check us in. That way we won’t have to stop. Now go ahead and let us handle all this grunt work,” she teased with a gentle laugh she hoped would ease his mind.

Shrugging, Alex turned back. When Winona smiled sweetly at him—he’d missed the scowl she’d shot his sisters—he wisely figured out to take her arm in his, allowing her to cuddle up against him.

“You know, you’ve been so distracted the past several days I’ve been nervous about disturbing you.”

“Yeah, I’ve been pretty busy considering a lot of things,” he answered distractedly, completely missing her whole intent.

“Oh, really?” she asked sweetly, staring into his eyes as she batted her eyelashes. “What’s wrong? Anything I could help with?”

“Nah,” he said, not thinking this was the kind of thing she’d be good at. Winona was very single-minded, but intellectual puzzles weren’t her big suite. “Just some ‘angel’ stuff. So are you ready for tonight’s concert?”

“Oh, I’m more than ready,” she told him, the gleam in her eyes showing she’d taken to the whole stage persona. “But I’m pretty tense. I suspect we could both use some relaxation.”

“Well I ... wait, how rude of me,” he said, suddenly noticing the heavy bag she was carrying while cozying up to him. “Let me grab that for you,” he offered, missing the fairly obvious signals she was sending.

“Oh, thank you. That’s so nice of you,” she said, oozing sweetness even as she gritted her teeth at his obtuseness. She didn’t know whether he was really that distracted or he simply wasn’t interested in her anymore, and frankly, she didn’t like being ignored any more than she liked being rejected.

The hotel lobby was fairly busy for that time of day—meaning instead of being empty, there were several people waiting to check-in. Without thinking, Alex grabbed Winona’s bag in his primary hand, his right, which had been the one Winona had been clinging to—which didn’t improve her temperament any.

Approaching the front desk, Alex motioned her forward. “After you,” he said graciously, still not seeing the inconsistency in his behavior.

“No, no, I couldn’t,” she said, still more interested in getting through to him even though she was under a tight time limit. “You go ahead, we’ve got time.” She’d been expecting him to politely decline, but once again he missed the subtle signals she was trying to send and walked on ahead of her.

“I’m with the Jennings’ party,” he told the clerk, a tall intelligent looking man who looked up and smiled at him. “There are four of us. We have reservations.”

“Jennings ... oh yes, here it is. Your companion has already checked in, but I have your key right here.”

Alex looked confused. “No, no, that can’t be. They’re still in the... , “ but by then he’d already handed Alex his keycard, so Alex decided to just go with it. “I actually need all four keys,” he told the desk clerk.

“Oh, of course,” the man said, showing all the grace and consideration Alex was so badly lacking. “And give me a second. I believe your suitemate is waiting in the bar. Give me a second and I’ll give her a call for you,” he said as he picked up a telephone.

“No, wait, you must be... , “ Alex tried to interrupt before he gave up, as the man began talking to someone at the bar on the house phone. The clerk turned and smiled in acknowledgment at him, but before he could say anything, a voice rang out.

“ALEX!” Suddenly a small bundle of energy launched itself at him, almost knocking Alex over as it landed on his back, holding him tight as she proceeded to both hug and spin him.

“Cate?” he asked, showing he wasn’t any quicker with voice recognition than he was at social clues. Turning, Cate stepped back so he could see her, and when he did, she launched herself at him again, only this time she tackled his front side.

“I’ve missed you so much! Let me just hold you and soak up some of that wonderful energy of yours once again. Man, it’s amazing feeling it course through me when I’ve done without for so long.”

“Wait... , what are you doing here? I thought you weren’t supposed to return for another couple of weeks?”

“That was the idea, but I changed my plans,” she told him, planting a big kiss on his lips. “When I heard about what you went through with Mickie, I immediately booked the next flight out. I knew you’d take it personally and I couldn’t bear the thought of you suffering out here without me.”

“Hello, Cate,” Winona said icily from the sidelines. Cate hadn’t yet so much as acknowledged her existence.

“Oh, sorry, Winona. I was just so glad to see Alex again I kind of zoned out,” Cate said as she wrapped her arm around Alex and they both turned to face Winona before Cate leaned across Alex to briefly take care of one last thing. “Thanks, Phillip. You were great. I knew it wouldn’t take him long before he saw through your little diversion, but you managed to keep him guessing for just the right amount of time. He was SO surprised,” she gleefully told him, smiling brightly at the young clerk, whereas she’d hardly recognized Winona at all.

“Don’t worry,” Phillip assured her. “It was fun and you’ve been a delight.”

“How long have you been here?” Alex asked, still trying to piece the puzzle pieces together.

“I got in early this morning. About 7:20. But that’s not all. I brought a couple people with me I met at the airport.”

Alex turned to glare at Gini. “You could have mentione—”, but Cate held on to him so tightly he couldn’t turn around.

“Not yet. As always, timing is everything,” she said as she looked over her shoulder, even as she prevented him from doing so. “And no one else knew about my plans. So don’t go blaming anyone else.”

When she was ready, she turned him slightly, and he was stunned to see both Ahmed and Akilah Asghar, two people he hadn’t been expecting to see for some time. However, not only was Ahmed dressed in a very professional business suit, but Akilah was dressed in a beautiful ensemble and looked very much the delightful, confident American socialite.

“It’s so wonderful seeing you again,” she enthused, moving to hug and kiss Alex before her husband had a chance to shake his hand. Whereas Alex missed his own social clues, he certainly recognized that one and it surprised him.

“You’re certainly looking confident,” he answered, stepping back to regard them both. “And your dress,” he added, trying to press home the point. “The last time I saw you, you’d dressed up, but you didn’t look so relaxed in it. But this time...”

“A lot has been happening,” Akilah enthusiastically said. “As for the confidence, you can blame this man,” she said, indicating Ahmed, who finally reached forward to shake Alex’s hand. “He’s been pushing me to open up and be more assertive. He’s got me leading a school, meeting with business and political leaders. He’s been encouraging me to speak up for myself and to be more assertive.”

“Well, it’s certainly working,” Alex told the bubbly woman before turning to Ahmed. “You may have created a monster here,” he suggested with a wink.

“It’s good to see you again, Alex,” Ahmed answered happily and enthusiastically with only a trace of an accent. “But before we get too carried away, we’re officially here on business. We’ve developed a school for future career women in both Saudi Arabia and throughout the entire Middle East. We found several with certain interesting ‘traits‘ I thought you should meet.” And with that, Cate—who was now grinning like the Cheshire cat, spun him around so he was facing three well-dressed women, who although dressed almost as nicely as Akilah, weren’t quite as confident. They seemed to be afraid of him, and when he looked, they immediately glanced down.

“Ladies!” Akilah sternly told them. “Haven’t I told you it’s impolite in the Western world not greet strangers as an equal?”

Almost as one, the three women glanced at her, then looking guilty, turned and lifted their eyes to meet Alex’s gaze. Each jerked back before catching themselves, their eyes rapidly contracting as they each had to glance away quickly.

Alex recognized the motions immediately and realized the game they’d been playing, both keeping him in the dark and having him activate them without anyone else noticing. He knew they were trying to prove something, but he really didn’t want to hazard a guess at the moment.

“Ladies, it’s a pleasure to meet each of you,” Alex said as he stepped forwards, holding each woman by the arms and kissing them briefly on the cheeks in the European fashion. As he did, each suddenly stood up straight, looking much more confident and self-assured, and they now began to look about as if suddenly proud to be there for all the world to see.

“Did I miss something?” Ahmed asked, cocking his head at the sudden transformation.

“I just gave them a full briefing, as well as telling them all about me and how to treat me,” Alex explained.

“But ... you didn’t...”

“Close your mouth, dear, you’re creating a scene,” Akilah playfully laughed at her husband with a gentle light giggle. “It seems our little American angel has refined his techniques, and he’s now better at this than either of us ever anticipated.”

“It’s all done with simple body language,” Alex explained with a wink, trying to provide a cover for anyone listening in, like Phillip. “All right, girls, you’ve had enough time to take in your surroundings.” They each tried to look at him directly, but had to quickly glance away. “Don’t worry, my boyish charm can be a little intimidating. It’s best if you look askance at my innocence,” he teased, which they seemed to immediately understand. Alex then quickly introduced everyone, including Winona, Gini and his other two sisters, who’d entered while this was taking place. Even Winona’s band was busy watching the show.

“It looks like we have much to discuss, young man,” Ahmed told Alex. “As for myself, I hope to tell you of my plans for the future. It seems dear Akilah here is making quite a name for herself in my country,” he concluded, smiling proudly at his wife, the same woman he’d hardly acknowledged when Alex had first met them arriving at the LA airport only a couple weeks ago.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close