The Devolutionist and the Emancipatrix
Chapter VII: A World Becalmed

Public Domain

“I think we have learned enough to form some general conclusions,” said the doctor, after the four had told what each had heard and seen. “Van Emmon’s friend, Powart, seems to be anything but a democrat. He probably represents the most aristocratic element on the planet; while this man Fort, who rescued the girl, is also probably a member of the leisure class.

“On the other hand, we have Smith’s agent, whose name we do not know; he seems to be one of the working class, which Powart despises. The two are at opposite ends of the social scale. Young Ernol, whose father is in trouble, appears to be a rising young revolutionist.

“But Mona--to use the name Powart gave his fiancee--Billie’s surgeon--the girl whose life Fort saved--she is not so easy to classify. On the earth we would call her occupation a middle-class one; but that remark she made about people being cattle gives me the impression that she is an aristocrat at heart. I call her a mystery, for the time being.

“As for the planet itself--of course, the people simply refer to it as the earth, or some term which translates that way to us. We need a name for it. What shall we call her--this daughter of Capella’s?”

“Capellette,” from Billie promptly.

“Fine!” The other two looked their approval. “Now, we are ready to analyze things. What shall we say of her people in general?”

“Speaking for my surgeon,” observed Billie, “doesn’t she argue a rather high degree of development?”

The others were plainly willing for the doctor to take the lead. He rubbed his knuckles harder than ever as he considered Billie’s suggestion.

“A higher degree of development? H-m! Not easy to say. Safer to assume that the development is higher in spots, not in general. Perhaps we’ll do well to consider other things first.

“Take those two clocks, for instance. The one that I saw had a pendulum of ordinary length, which vibrated twice as fast as that”--indicating an astronomical clock at his side. “What about the time-piece you saw, Van?”

“Twenty-five-hour dial, and a pendulum of the usual length, same as yours. But--it vibrated no faster than any I ever saw before.”

“You’re sure?” At the emphatic nod the doctor frowned. “We are forced to conclude that Capellette is not as round as our earth. No other way to account for such a difference in gravitation as the two clocks indicate. Roughly, I should say that the planet’s diameter, at the place where I saw the clock, is fifty per cent greater than at the point where Van’s agent is located; maybe ten thousand miles in its greatest diameter, Capellette.

“Having greater gravitation would explain why that disabled aircraft which Smith saw fell so very slowly; the planet has much more air than the earth, which means far greater density near the surface. It also explains those big sailing cruisers; nothing else can.

“At any rate, we can guess why we have seen no surface travel. The people of Capellette never tried to work out such a thing as an automobile; why should they, with the birds to imitate, and extra dense air all about them?

“I think we have found the key.” The doctor cogitated for a second or two.

“However, let’s consider that schoolroom a bit. It was in no way different from what you will find on the earth right now. Why?”

Smith had a notion. “There is such a thing as perfection. Like some electrical apparatus; you simply can’t improve them.”

“Sounds reasonable,” from Van Emmon.

“Yes. And that is undoubtedly how the Capellettes look at the matter.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close