The Devolutionist and the Emancipatrix
Chapter XII: Cause and Effect

Public Domain

From that time on the four did not hold any more formal discussions of what they learned. This was due to a most extraordinary discovery.

They found that they could keep in touch with each other while they were “visiting”! It was a tremendous help; it enabled them to communicate and compare notes as they went along. The doctor declared that the Venusians themselves had not been able to do more.

Thus, when Powart called on Mona a few days after she had declined his ring, Billie was able to tell the other three all that took place, as fast as it happened. As usual, Powart’s stay was a brief one.

“I hope you have recovered your former self-confidence,” said he, consciously repressing the masterful note in his voice. “Not that I am unwilling to wait, Mona.”

“You are very patient,” she assured him. “I am glad to say that I am no longer troubled with any doubts of myself. Something else worries me now.”

He frowned at the implication. “What is it?” coldly.

“Frankly, it is your record.” She knew she was jarring him terribly, but she went on with evident relish, “You are the most important man in the world. Odd, isn’t it, that I should find fault with that? But it is a serious objection. You are still a very young man; you have become one of the commission; for a year, you are its head. The point is, what’s before you?” She paused to let this take effect. “You’ve already accomplished all that any man can possible accomplish in the political field. You haven’t any future!”

Powart grasped the thought with his usual instant decision. “I understand. You are right, too. I had not thought of it before.” A slight pause. “You fear that you may come to tire of me; is that it?”

She nodded emphatically. “If you had asked me a few years ago, before you had reached the top--it would have been different.”

He remained standing, frowning hard. Presently he glanced at his watch, and said he would have to be going.

“I will see what can be done about it,” he stated. “I have a plan which should get results.”

“Are you going to take up a hobby?” eagerly.

“Not a new one; but a hobby I have always had.” And with this enigmatic reply he was off.

Van Emmon kept track of his further movements, and reported everything to the other three. Powart had not been in flight long before he sent off a wireless despatch, to which he received a most extraordinary reply. It was from the expedition which he had sent to Alma a week before:

People of Alma give us warm welcome. Invite us to stay. We propose to do so. The planet infinitely preferable to either Hafen or Holl. Accept our resignations or not, as you please, and be damned to you!

Powart made no comment upon this, which he read in privacy after carefully decoding it. Van Emmon had no idea what he was thinking, of course, but wondered mightily how the chairman was going to deal with the situation. He could scarcely read that aerogram to the commission. For some time he paced the cabin of his yacht, and at the end he behaved like a man whose mind had been pretty strongly made up.

The commission met, it seems, in a central part of Hafen. Powart reached the place some hours after leaving Mona. He arrived to find the other nine members waiting for him; and without the least delay he took his place at the head of the table.

“We will postpone the usual routine until the next session if you like,” said he. There was no objection; whereupon Powart produced a message from his pocket.

“You will recall the expedition to Alma. I have just received their first report since reaching the planet.” And then, to the vast amazement of the people on the earth, he read--not what Van Emmon had seen him receive, but this, in his strong, matter-of-fact voice:

“People of Alma facing starvation, due to overpopulation and land-exhaustion. Have disabled our boat and will not permit us to return, although allowing us to use wireless, which they do not understand.

“They are constructing a fleet of huge space-boats, all heavily armed, intending to cross over to Hafen and Holl, and conquer the Capellans.”

Powart glanced keenly around the table. “This is all that has been received. Evidently our men were prevented from sending any more. I expect nothing further. It remains for us to decide, at once, what we should do.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close