The Devolutionist and the Emancipatrix - Cover

The Devolutionist and the Emancipatrix

Public Domain

Chapter V: The Super-Race

It will be remembered that Billie wanted to get in touch with a creature having the characteristic which she had said she admired: supremacy--”A worker who is the boss!” Bearing this in mind, her experience will explain itself, dumfounding though it was.

Her first sight of the Sanusian world was from the front of a large building. The former architect was not able to inspect it minutely; but she afterwards said that it impressed her as being entirely plain, and almost a perfect cube. Its walls were white and quite without ornament; there was only one entrance, an extremely low and broad, flat archway, extending across one whole side. The structure was about a hundred yards each way. In front was a terrace, seemingly paved with enormous slabs of stone; it covered a good many acres.

Presumably Billie’s agent had just brought her machine from the building, for, within a few seconds, she took flight in the same abrupt fashion which had so badly upset Smith and Van Emmon. When Billie was able to look closely, she found herself gazing down upon a Sanusian city.

It was a tremendous affair. As the flying-machine mounted higher, Billie continually revised her guesses; finally she concluded that London itself was not as large. Nevertheless her astonishment was mainly directed at the character, not the number of the buildings.

They were all alike! Every one was a duplicate of that she had first seen: cube-shaped, plain finished, flat of wall and roof. Even in color they were alike; in time the four came to call the place the “White City.” However, the buildings were arranged quite without any visible system. And they were vastly puzzled, later on in their studies, to find every other Sanusian city precisely the same as this one.

However, there was one thing which distinguished each building from the rest. It was located on the roof; a large black hieroglyphic, set in a square black border, which Billie first thought to be all alike. Whether it meant a name or a number, there was no way to tell.[Footnote: Since writing the above, further investigations have proved that these Sanusian house-labels are all numbers.]

Billie turned her attention to her agent. She seemed to belong to the same type as Smith’s and Van Emmon’s; otherwise she was certainly much more active, much more interested in her surroundings, and possessed of a far more powerful machine. She was continually changing her direction; and Billie soon congratulated herself upon her luck. Beyond a doubt, this party was no mere slave to orders; it was she who gave the orders.

Before one minute had passed she was approached by a Sanusian in a big, clumsy looking machine. Although built on the bee plan, it possessed an observation tower right on top of its “head.” (The four afterward established that this was the sort of a machine that Smith’s agent had operated.) The occupant approached to within a respectful distance from Billie’s borrowed eyes, and proceeded to hum the following through his antennae:

“Supreme, I have been ordered to report for Number Four.”

“Proceed.”

“The case of insubordinancy which occurred in Section Eighty-five has been disposed of.”

“Number Four made an example of her?”

“Yes, Supreme.”

Whereupon the operator flew away, having not only kept his body totally out of sight all the while, but having failed by the slightest token to indicate, by his manner of communicating that he had the slightest particle of personal interest in his report. For that matter, neither did Supreme.

Scarcely had this colloquy ended than another subordinate approached. This one used a large and very fine machine. She reported:

“If Supreme will come with me to the spot, it will be easier to decide upon this case.”

Immediately the two set off without another word; and after perhaps four minutes of the speediest travel Billie had known outside the doctor’s sky-car, they descended to within a somewhat short distance from the ground. Here they hovered, and Billie saw that they were stopped above some hills at the foot of a low mountain range.

Next moment she made out the figures of four humans on top of a knoll just below. A little nearer, and the architect was looking, from the air, down upon the same scene which the doctor was then witnessing through the eyes of Rolla, the older of the two Sanusian women. Billie could make out the powerful physique of Corrus, the slighter figure of Dulnop, the small but vigorous form of Cunora, and Rolla’s slender, graceful, capable body. But at that moment the other flier began to say to Supreme:

“The big man is a tender of cattle, Supreme; and he owes his peculiar aptitude to the fact that his parents, for twenty generations back, were engaged in similar work. The same may be said for the younger of the two women; she is small, but we owe much of the excellence of our crops to her energy and skill.

“As for the other woman,” indicating Rolla, “she is a soil-tester, and very expert. Her studies and experiments have greatly improved our product. The same may be said in lesser degree of the youth, who is engaged in similar work.”

“Then,” coolly commented the Sanusian whose eyes and ears Billie enjoyed; “then your line of action is clear enough. You will see to it that the big man marries the sturdy young girl, of course; their offspring should give us a generation of rare outdoor ability. Similarly the young man and the older woman, despite their difference in ages, shall marry for the sake of improving the breed of soil-testers.”

“Quite so, Supreme. There is one slight difficulty, however, such as caused me to summon you.”

“Name the difficulty.”

The Sanusian hesitated only a trifle with her reply: “It is, Supreme, that the big man and the older woman have seen fit to fall in love with one another, while the same is true of the youth and the girl.”

“This should not have been allowed!”

“I admit it, Supreme; my force has somehow overlooked their case, heretofore. What is your will?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close