The Lord of Death and the Queen of Life - Cover

The Lord of Death and the Queen of Life

Public Domain

Chapter XI: The Super-Ambition

Billie was very quiet during their return to the surface. She said nothing until they had reached the two cars; and then pausing as she was about to step in, she said:

“Well, I never saw our old friend, the high cost of living, handled quite so easily!

“If that’s the way you do things here, Estra,” and the girl did not flinch at the gazes the others turned upon her, “if that’s your way, it’s good enough for me! I’m going to stay!”

For the first time, Estra looked astonished. He and Myrin exchanged lightninglike glances; then the Venusian’s face warmed with the smile he gave the architect.

“It is very good of you to say that,” he said impressively. “I was afraid some of our--peculiarities--might arouse very different feelings.”

They stared at one another for a second or two, long enough for the doctor to notice, and to see how Van Emmon took it. The geologist, however, was smiling upon the girl in a big-brotherly fashion, which indicated that he thought she didn’t mean what she had said. Had he been looking up at her, however, instead of down upon her, he would have seen that her chin was most resolute.

Just as they were about to start again, both Estra and Myrin stopped short in their tracks, with that odd hesitation that had mystified the four all along; and after perhaps five seconds of silence turned to one another with grave faces. It was Estra who explained.

“It is curious how things do pile up,” said he, a little conscious of having employed an idiom. “Our planet has gone along for hundreds of generations without anything especially remarkable happening, so that recently many prophets have foretold a number of startling events to take place on a single day. And this seems to have come true.

“You have been with us scarcely ten hours,” and the visitors stared at each other in amazement that so much time had passed; “scarcely ten hours, and here comes an announcement which, for over a hundred years, has been looked forward to with--”

He stopped abruptly. The doctor gently took him up: “‘Looked forward to with’--what, Estra?”

Estra and Myrin considered this for perhaps three seconds. It was the woman who replied: “The fact is, your approach to the planet has stimulated all sorts of research immensely. Matters that had been hanging fire indefinitely were revived; this is one of them. In that sense, you are to blame.” But she smiled as reassuringly as she could, allowing for a certain anxiety which had now come to her face.

“Don’t you think you could make it clear to us?” asked Billie encouragingly. At the same time all four noted that the air, which before had fairly thronged with machines, was now simply alive with them. People were flitting here and there like swarms of insects, and with as little apparent aim. Both Estra and Myrin were extra watchful; also, they displayed a certain eagerness to get away, setting their course in still another direction. In a minute or two the congestion seemed relieved, and Myrin began to talk slowly:

“You have doubtless guessed, by this time, that we Venusians have crossed what some call ‘the animal divide.’ We are predominatly intellectual, while you on the earth are, as a race, still predominantly animal. Excuse me for putting it so bluntly.”

“It’s all right,” said the doctor, with an effort. “What you say is true--of most of us.” He added: “Most thinking people realize that when our civilization reaches the point where the getting of a living becomes secondary, instead of primary as at present, a great change is bound to come to the race.”

The Venusian nodded. “Under the conditions which now surround us, you can see, we have vastly more time for what you would call spiritual matters. Only, we label them psychological experiences.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close