The Lord of Death and the Queen of Life - Cover

The Lord of Death and the Queen of Life

Public Domain

Chapter XIV: Estra

This time there was no drowning the confusion. The telephone fairly shook with innumerable cries, shouts, imprecations. The four gave up trying to hear, and watched the two Venusians.

Myrin was facing Estra now. Her expression had lost a great deal of its good humor, and there was a certain sharpness in her voice as she exclaimed:

“Estra--if your sister has done this, and I see no reason to doubt it, then she has made man superfluous! If women can produce children mechanically, and govern the sex at will, the coming race need be nothing but females!”

Estra nodded gravely. “That is what it amounts to, Myrin!”

For a moment the two stared at one another challengingly. On the earth, their attitude would have indicated some unimportant tiff. None would have dreamed that the most momentous question in their lives had come up, and had found them at outs.

Next instant Myrin turned, and without another word walked from the room. Estra followed slowly to the door, where he stood looking after her with an expression of the keenest concern on his sensitive, high- strung features. The three men from the earth, after a glance, studiously avoided looking at him; but Billie walked up and laid a hand on his arm.

“Are you really in favor of this--scheme?” she inquired, in a curiously tender voice. At the same time she gazed intently into Estra’s eyes.

He turned, and the smile came back to his face. He took Billie’s hand and laid it between both his own. His voice was even gentler than before.

“Most certainly I do favor my sister’s method, Billie. It will be the greatest boon the race has ever known. We can look forward, now”--and his face shone again--”can look forward to generation upon generation of people whose spirituality will be absolute!”

The girl moved closer to him. She spoke with feverish earnestness.

“There may be some hitch in the idea, Estra. If God meant for man to become--to become obsolete, He would not have hidden the method all this time. Suppose some flaw should develop--later on?”

In the cube, Billie Jackson would not have stumbled over such a speech. She would have ignored the fact that Estra was holding her hand all this time, and gazing deep into her eyes; she would have been filled with what she was saying and not with what she was seeing. On the other side of the room, Van Emmon watched and glowered; he could not hear.

The Venusian lifted his head suddenly. The voices from the telephone had subsided; only an occasional outburst came from the instrument. Estra closed his eyes again for a second, and when he opened them again, his manner was astonishingly alert, and his speech swift and to the point.

“So far as we know, Billie, the method has no flaws. It gives us the chance to throw off our lower selves; and if by so doing, we reduce the race to a single sex, only--”

He stopped short, as though at a sound; and with a word of apology stepped from the room. He opened another door, far down the corridor; and as he passed through, the wail of a new-born infant came faintly to the four.

“Wonder what’s up?” said Smith. Van Emmon, who had gone to the window, whirled upon the engineer and motioned him to his side.

“Look at the people!”

Smith saw that the nearby houses were almost concealed by a throng which had gathered, silently and without confusion, during the past few minutes. Their numbers were increasing swiftly, fresh arrivals packing the background. People filled the streets; the space below Estra’s balcony was already crowded as closely as it could be. Except for a low- voiced buzzing, there was no disturbance.

Billie came up. She seemed to divine the temper of the mob. She caught her breath sharply, and then said, very simply:

“It reminds me of--Bethlehem.”

But the words had scarcely left her mouth before an uproar sounded from one end of the street below. A crowd of excited Venusians was pushing its way determinedly toward the house, their passage obstructed by shouting, protesting individuals. Van Emmon’s breast began to heave; he fancied he saw blows struck.

“By George!” he exclaimed, next second. “They’re fighting!”

It was true; a hand-to-hand battle was going on less than a block away. The people below the window surged in the direction of the fight; all were shouting, now; the clamor was deafening.

“Live and let live!” came one of the shouts. It was taken up by the group that was doing the attacking, and made into a cheer. Then came other cries from them. Smith made out something like “Down with sex monopoly!”

“Don’t you see?” shouted Smith, above the din. “These people below are Estra’s friends; those newcomers are backing Savarona! Get the idea?” he repeated. “If Estra wins out, the old boy with the fountain of youth will never get another boy baby to experiment on!”

“What!” The doctor leaped to their sides. He took it in at a glance; then whirled to the door. “We ought to warn Estra!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close