A Honeymoon in Space - Cover

A Honeymoon in Space

Public Domain

Chapter II

At length Mrs. Van Stuyler, being a woman of large experience and some social deftness, recognised that a change of subject was the easiest way of retreat out of a rather difficult situation. So she put her cup down, leant back in her chair, and, looking straight into Lord Redgrave’s eyes, she said with purely feminine irrelevance:

“I suppose you know, Lord Redgrave, that, when we left, the machine which we call in America Manhood Suffrage--which, of course, simply means the selection of a government by counting noses which may or may not have brains above them--was what some of our orators would call in full blast. If you are going to New York after Washington, as you said on the boat, we might find it a rather inconvenient time to arrive. The whole place will be chaos, you know; because when the citizen of the United States begins electioneering, New York is not a very nice place to stop in except for people who want excitement, and so if you will excuse me putting the question so directly, I should like to know what you just do mean to do----”

Lord Redgrave saw that she was going to add “with us,” but before he had time to say anything, Miss Zaidie turned round, walked deliberately towards her chair, sat down, poured herself out a fresh cup of coffee, added the milk and sugar with deliberation, and then after a preliminary sip said, with her cup poised half-way between her dainty lips and the table:

“Mrs. Van, I’ve got an idea. I suppose it’s inherited, for dear old Pop had plenty. Anyhow we may as well get back to common-sense subjects. Now look here,” she went on, switching an absolutely convincing glance straight into her host’s eyes, “my father may have been a dreamer, but still he was a Sound Money man. He believed in honest dealings. He didn’t believe in borrowing a hundred dollars gold and paying back in fifty dollars silver. What’s your opinion, Lord Redgrave; you don’t do that sort of thing in England, do you? Uncle Russell is a Sound Money man too. He’s got too much gold locked up to want silver for it.”

“My dear Zaidie,” said Mrs. Van Stuyler, “what have democratic and republican politics and bimetalism got to do with----”

“With a trip in this wonderful vessel which Pop told me years ago could go up to the stars if it ever was made? Why just this, Lord Redgrave is an Englishman and too rich to believe in anything but sound money, so is Uncle Russell, and there you have it, or should have.”

“I think I see what you mean, Miss Rennick,” said their host, leaning back in his chair and folding his hands behind his head, as steamboat travellers are wont to do when seas are smooth and skies are blue. “The Astronef might come down like a vision from the clouds and preach the Gospel of Gold in electric rays of silver through the commonplace medium of the Morse Code. How’s that for poetry and practice?”

“I quite agree with his lordship as regards the practice,” said Mrs. Van Stuyler, talking somewhat rudely across him to Zaidie. “It would be an excellent use to put this wonderful invention to. And then, I am sure his lordship would land us in Central Park, so that we could go to your Uncle’s house right away.”

“No, no, I’m afraid I must ask you to excuse me there, Mrs. Van Stuyler,” said Redgrave, with a change of tone which Miss Zaidie appreciated with a swiftly veiled glance. “You see, I have placed myself beyond the law. I have, as you have been good enough to intimate, abducted--to put it brutally--two ladies from the deck of an Atlantic liner. Further, in doing so I have selfishly spoiled the prospects of one of the ladies. But, seriously, I really must go to Washington first----”

“I think, Lord Redgrave,” interrupted Mrs. Van Stuyler, ignoring the last unfinished sentence and assuming her best Knickerbocker dignity, “if you will forgive me saying so, that that is scarcely a subject for discussion here.”

“And if that’s so,” interrupted Miss Zaidie, “the less we say about it the better. What I wanted to say was this. We all want the Republicans in, at least all of us that have much to lose. Now, if Lord Redgrave was to use this wonderful air-ship of his on the right side--why there wouldn’t be any standing against it.”

“I must say that until just now I had hardly contemplated turning the Astronef into an electioneering machine. Still, I admit that she might be made use of in a good cause, only I hope----”

“That we shan’t want you to paste her over with election bills, eh?--or start handbill-snowstorms from the deck--or kidnap Croker and Bryan just as you did us, for instance?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close