Lost With Nothing to Lose - Cover

Lost With Nothing to Lose

Copyright© 2018 by Vincent Berg

21: And the Cycle Begins Anew

We must let go of the life we have planned,
so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.

Joseph Campbell

“So what do you think?” Asked, facing his engineers.

“It’s been a phenomenal education,” Ivan announced. “Everything is completely new. I’ve never seen the likes of their technology.”

“And in the few cases where they’ve created similar techniques, they went about it in a truly unique manner.” Mui said.

“I can understand why the Tandorians were unable to utilize anything from the few ships they captured,” Taq said. “Everything is so different, they couldn’t fathom it.”

“Friends our Zssizliq,” Chich’k added, “worked us through virtually every detail. We not still grasp certain aspects, but we know how to operate everything.”

“They’re not kidding,” Adulla said, her eyes glistening like a small child’s on Christmas morning. “They possess a huge repertoire of physics knowledge I’d never even guessed at in all my years of research.”

“And the biology,” Etta interjected, “is also completely different. Their approach is fairly obvious, once you learn their physiology.”

“If the Tandorians can adapt only a small amount of this expertise,” Theo reflected, ‘they’ll experience an engineering revolution, restoring significant sectors of their faltering economy.”

“Once again,” Al said, “when your best engineers aren’t allowed to think for themselves, it’s difficult figuring out completely new concepts. Not to mention, the military only promoted the least capable officers, demanding complete obedience to the current dogma.”

“I’ll say,” Betty said. “I didn’t follow most of it, not wanting to get between the Zssizliq and our people, but I feel like I’ve received a PHD in details absolutely no one else can comprehend.”

“Good,” Ivan said, “then hopefully you’ll at least have some idea of what we’re discussing when we start going on about work.”

“OK,” All asked, “despite all the glowing admiration, do you understand it well enough to operate a ship this complex?”

“Absolutely,” Lamar said, “our Zssizliq aides walked us through every detail, repeating it every time we hesitated. They are the most patient teachers I think I’ve ever met.”

“Your crew handle difficult task well,” One of their Zssizliq helpers added,” speaking in faltering Tandorian. It made Al appreciate that Rollsqmarsh was so adapt at it. If he hadn’t been, they wouldn’t have achieved the peace they had.

“Really, if we marketed a single piece of this technology,” Elia said,” we’d undoubted make a fortune. Enough that Uesuam’s minions wouldn’t dare act on their threats.”

“We couldn’t do that,” Al declared. “We promised we wouldn’t expose the Zssizliq’s secrets. They still don’t trust Tandorians at large, but they’re willing to extend an olive branch. If they rise to the challenge, they’ll undoubted reveal more, but how much in entirely in their hands, not ours.”

“Don’t get me wrong,” Elia continued, “I was simply drawing an analogy. I don’t trust most Tandorians either, especially those in command positions.”

“There’s a whole new wave of leaders now in authoritative roles who can be trusted,” Al reminded him.

“True,” he countered, “but political systems move slowly, particularly a new one with inexperienced politicians trying to build by consensus. In the meantime, the military, while defanged, are looking for any opportunity to regain their lost stature.”

“I’m addressing those concerns. I’ve sent out messages, though our existing contacts, to each planet in the Empire, suggesting it’s in their best interest to form a new government quickly. I even offered some suggestions on how to build a new representative constitution. Specifically one where any declaration of war requires a clear majority of voting members, so it won’t depend on a simple partisan, majority vote. I even suggested a specific percentage which worked well for us on Earth.”

“That should definitely get things moving,” Bi acknowledged. “And the quicker they convene, the sooner they can reestablish trade between the different worlds without it being diverted into the Royal Family’s pockets.”

“I also pointed out that the Zssizliq are eager to repair their misrepresented image by helping out. I suggested each come here to get comfortable with them and open relationships.”

“Better here than having them visit each world,” Siss said. “While they may be open to discussions, they won’t be receptive to a Zssizliq ship showing up on their doorstep, even if it’s ours.”

“That was something we’ve handled ourselves,” Rollsqmarsh said, entering the discussion for the first time. “I figured you were nearly done here, so I wanted to stop by to say my final goodbyes. We’ve already been in touch with several worlds, a few even inviting us to visit their planets. Even better, rather than coming to Tandora, Tandor requested we open a diplomatic mission. Frankly, Tandora doesn’t need the financial gain, while Tandor definitely does. To demonstrate their goodwill, Tandor is providing the building, though we’re responsible to retrofitting it. That works to our benefit, since we can make it easier for us to live in.” Before anyone could protest, he held his hands up and continued—something he’d learned from working with Al. “Don’t worry, the lower floors will maintain the traditional Tandorian environment, as will the meeting halls, with our living quarters situated above.”

“On top of that,” Al interjected. “I’ve already traded a portion of our seeds for some Tandorian ones, so we’ll have plenty to feed us in transit while retaining trading stock for new worlds. Best of all, when they grow enough for them to restock their supplies, they plan to begin by trading with you. I suggested a ‘taste exchange’ where each side can sample the wares of the other, so no side gets anything they won’t appreciate.”

“That will definitely help establish trade,” Rollsqmarsh admitted. “Especially if we invite other worlds to attend as well, making it an educational opportunity so others can learn more about us in the process.”

“My only question,” Gary asked, “is who’s in charge of the seeds? I can easily see them going to the highest bigger—most likely either the military or those on Tandora—meaning the Tandorians won’t gain anything from it.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close