Bodyguard - Cover

Bodyguard

Public Domain

Chapter XII

The Vinzz’ eyes flickered in astonishment. “Another private game? However...” he shrugged eloquently. “It will cost you a hundred thousand credits each, gentlemen.”

“No discount for a steady customer?” Keats inquired lightly, though he was trembling inside.

The Vinzz’ tendrils quivered. “None. You ought to be glad I didn’t raise the price again.”

“Why didn’t you?” he couldn’t help asking.

The Vinzz looked steadily into the man’s eyes. “I don’t know,” it answered at last. “Perhaps I have been so long on this planet that I have developed a sentimental streak ... In any case, I am going back to Vinau the day after tomorrow...”

“For God’s sake,” Lockard, his senses so confused with fear and apprehension that he was able to catch only fragments of their talk, screamed, “pay him what he asks and don’t haggle!”

“All right,” Keats agreed. “The lady will wait for me here,” he told the Vinzz.

The extraterrestrial quivered indecisively. “Most irregular,” it murmured. “However, I cannot refuse a slight favor for such an old customer. This way, madam.”


Gabriel Lockard opened Gabriel Lockard’s eyes.

“Well,” the Vinzz who stood above him lisped, “how does it feel to be back in your own body again?”

Gabriel got up and stretched. He stretched again, and then an expression of wonderment came over his handsome features. “I feel ... exactly the way I felt in ... any of the others,” he said haltingly. “I’m not comfortable in this one either. It’s not right--it doesn’t fit. My own body...”

“You’ve grown out of it,” the green one told him, not unkindly. “But you will be able to adjust to it again, if you’ll give it a chance...”

“There’s that word again.” Gabriel winced. “I’m beginning to respond to it the way my ... predecessor did. Do we ever really get another chance, I wonder?”

“Take my advice.” The Vinzz’ face became almost human. “This is costing my people money, but we’ve made enough out of you and your--shall we say?--friends. It is a shame,” it murmured, “to prey upon unsophisticated life-forms, but one must live. However, I’ll tell you this: The compulsion will come over you again and again to play the game--your body will torment you unbearably and you will long for relief from it, but you must conquer that desire or, I warn you, you will be lost to yourself forever. It’s a pattern that’s enormously difficult to break, but it can be broken.”

Gabriel smiled down at the little green creature. “Thanks, colleague. I’ll remember that advice. And I’ll take it.”

“The other is still asleep,” the Vinzz told him. “This time I thought it best to let you awaken first. Good-by, and ... good luck.”

“Thanks, fellow-man,” Gabriel said. The Vinzz’ tendrils quivered.


Helen awaited him in an anteroom, her veil flung back so that he could see her poor, marred face. Anger rose hotly in him, but he pushed it down. Her suffering had not been meaningless and revenge was already consummated.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close