The Syndic - Cover

The Syndic

Public Domain

Chapter VII

The submarine surfaced at dawn. Orsino had been assigned a bunk and, to his surprise, had fallen asleep almost at once. At eight in the morning, he was shaken awake by one of the men in caps.

“Shift change,” the man explained laconically.

Orsino started to say something polite and sleepy. The man grabbed his shoulder and rolled him onto the deck, snarling: “You going to argue?”

Orsino’s reactions were geared to hot-rod polo--doing the split-second right thing after instinctively evaluating the roll of the ball, the ricochet of bullets, the probable tactics and strategy of the opposing four. They were not geared to a human being who behaved with the blind ferocity of an inanimate object. He just gawked at him from the deck, noting that the man had one hand on a sheath knife.

“All right, buster,” the man said contemptuously, apparently deciding that Orsino would stay put. “Just don’t mess with the Guard.” He rolled into the bunk and gave a good imitation of a man asleep until Orsino worked his way through the crowded compartment and up a ladder to the deck.

There was a heavy, gray over-cast. The submarine seemed to be planing the water; salt spray washed the shining deck. A gun crew was forward, drilling with a five-incher. The rasp of a petty-officer singing out the numbers mingled with the hiss and gurgle of the spray. Orsino leaned against the conning tower and tried to comb his thoughts out clean and straight.

It wasn’t easy.

He was Charles Orsino, very junior Syndic member, with all memories pertaining thereto.

He was also, more dimly, Max Wyman with his memories. Now, able to stand outside of Wyman, he could recall how those memories had been implanted--down to the last stab of the last needle. He thought some very bitter thoughts about Lee Falcaro--and dropped them, snapping to attention as Commander Grinnel pulled himself through the hatch. “Good morning, sir,” he said.

The cold eyes drilled him. “Rest,” the commander said. “We don’t play it that way on a pigboat. I hear you had some trouble about your bunk.”

Orsino shrugged uncomfortably.

“Somebody should have told you,” the commander said. “The boat’s full of Guardsmen. They have a very high opinion of themselves--which is correct. They carried off the raid in good style. You don’t mess with Guards.”

“What are they?” Orsino asked.

Grinnel shrugged. “The usual elite,” he said. “Loman’s gang.” He noted Orsino’s blank look and smiled coldly. “Loman’s President of North America,” he said.

“On shore,” Orsino hazarded, “we used to hear about somebody named Ben Miller.”

“Obsolete information. Miller had the Marines behind him. Loman was Secretary of Defense. He beached the Marines and broke them up into guard detachments. Took away their heavy weapons. Meanwhile, he built up the Guard, very quietly--which, with the Secretary of Information behind him, he could do. About two years ago, he struck. The Marines who didn’t join the Guard were massacred. Miller had the sense to kill himself. The Veep and the Secretary of State resigned, but it didn’t save their necks. Loman assumed the Presidency automatically, of course, and had them shot. They were corrupt as hell anyway. They were owned body and soul by the southern bloc.”

Two seamen appeared with a folding cot, followed by the sub commander. He was red-eyed with lack of sleep. “Set it there,” he told them, and sat heavily on the sagging canvas. “Morning, Grinnel,” he said with an effort. “Believe I’m getting too old for the pigboats. I want sun and air. Think you can use your influence at court to get me a corvette?” He bared his teeth to show it was a joke.

Grinnel said, with a minimum smile: “If I had any influence, would I catch the cloak-and-dagger crap they sling at me?”

The sub commander rolled back onto the cot and was instantly asleep, a muscle twitching the left side of his face every few seconds.

Grinnel drew Orsino to the lee of the conning tower. “We’ll let him sleep,” he said. “Go tell that gun crew Commander Grinnel says they should lay below.”

Orsino did. The petty officer said something exasperated about the gunnery training bill and Orsino repeated his piece. They secured the gun and went below.

Grinnel said, with apparent irrelevance: “You’re a rare bird, Wyman. You’re capable--and you’re uncommitted. Let’s go below. Stick with me.”


He followed the fat little commander into the conning tower. Grinnel told an officer of some sort: “I’ll take the con, mister. Wyman here will take the radar watch.” He gave Orsino a look that choked off his protests. Presumably, Grinnel knew that he was ignorant of radar.

The officer, looking baffled, said: “Yes, Commander.” A seaman pulled his head out of a face-fitting box and told Wyman: “It’s all yours, stranger.” Wyman cautiously put his face into the box and was confronted by meaningless blobs of green, numerals in the dark, and a couple of arrows to make confusion complete.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close