The Syndic - Cover

The Syndic

Public Domain

Chapter XIII

“Leave the fire alone,” Charles said sharply to Kennedy. The little man was going to douse it for the night.

There was a flash of terrified sense: “They beat you. If the fire’s on after dark they beat you. Fire and dark are equal and opposite.” He began to smile. “Fire is the negative of dark. You just change the sign, in effect rotate it through 180 degrees. But to rotate it through 180 degrees you have to first rotate it through one degree. And to rotate it through one degree you first have to rotate it through half a degree.” He was beaming now, having forgotten all about the fire. Charles banked it with utmost care, heaping a couple of flat stones for a chimney that would preserve the life of one glowing coal invisibly.

He stretched out on the sand, one hand on the little heap beneath which five pounds of smokeless powder was buried. Kennedy continued to drone out his power-series happily.

Through the chinks in the palisade a man’s profile showed against the twilight. “Shut up,” he said.

Kennedy shivering, rolled over and muttered to himself. The spearman laughed and went on.

Charles hardly saw him. His whole mind was concentrated on the spark beneath the improvised chimney. He had left such a spark seven nights running. Only twice had it lived more than an hour. Tonight--tonight, it had to last. Tonight was the last night of the witch-girl’s monthly courses, and during them she lost--or thought she lost, which was the same thing--the power of the goddess.

Primitive aborigines, he jeered silently at himself. A life time wasn’t long enough to learn the intricacies of their culture--as occasional executions among them for violating magical law proved to the hilt. His first crude notion--blowing the palisade apart and running like hell--was replaced by a complex escape plan hammered out in detail between him and Martha.

Martha assured him that the witch girl could track him through the dark by the power of the goddess except for four days a month--and he believed it. Martha herself laid a matter-of-fact claim to keener second sight than her sister because of her virginity. With Martha to guide him through the night and the witch-girl’s power disabled, they’d get a day’s head start. His hand strayed to a pebble under which jerked venison was hidden and ready.

“But Martha. Are you sure you’re not--not kidding yourself? Are you sure?”

He felt her grin on the other side of the palisade. “You’re sure wishing Uncle Frank was here so you could ask him about it, don’t you, Charles?”

He sure was. He wiped his brow, suddenly clammy.

Kennedy couldn’t come along. One, he wasn’t responsible. Two, he might have to be Charles’ cover-story. They weren’t too dissimilar in build, age, or coloring. Charles had a beard by now that sufficiently obscured his features, and two years absence should have softened recollections of Kennedy. Interrogated, Charles could take refuge in an imitation of Kennedy’s lunacy.

“Charles, the one thing I don’t get is this Lee dame. She got a spell on her? You don’t want to mess with that.”

“Listen, Martha, we’ve got to mess with her. It isn’t a spell--exactly. Anyway I know how to take it off and then she’ll be on our side.”

“Can I set off the explosion? If you let me set off the explosion, I’ll quit my bitching.”

“We’ll see,” he said.

She chuckled very faintly in the dark. “Okay,” she told him. “If I can’t, I can’t.”

He thought of being married to a woman who could spot your smallest lie or reservation, and shuddered.

Kennedy was snoring by now and twilight was deepening into blackness. There was a quarter-moon, obscured by over-cast. He hitched along the sand and peered through a chink at a tiny noise. It was the small scuffling feet of a woods-rat racing through the grass from one morsel of food to the next. It never reached it. There was a soft rush of wings as a great dark owl plummeted to earth and struck talons into the brown fur. The rat squealed its life away while the owl lofted silently to a tree branch where it stood on one leg, swaying drunkenly and staring with huge yellow eyes.

As sudden as that, it’ll be, Charles thought abruptly weighted with despair. A half-crazy kid and yours truly trying to outsmart and out-Tarzan these wild men. If only the little dope would let me take the jeep! But the jeep was out. She rationalized her retention of the power even after handling iron by persuading herself that she was only acting for Charles; there was some obscure precedent in a long, memorized poem which served her as a text-book of magic. But riding in the jeep was out.

By now she should be stringing magic vines across some of the huts and trails. “They’ll see ‘em when they get torches and it’ll scare ‘em. Of course I don’t know how to do it right, but they don’t know that. It’ll slow ‘em down. If she comes out of her house--and maybe she won’t--she’ll know they don’t matter and send the men after us. But we’ll be on our way. Charles, you sure I can’t set off the explosion? Yeah, I guess you are. Maybe I can set off one when we get to New Portsmouth?”

“If I can possibly arrange it.”

She sighed: “I guess that’ll have to do.”

It was too silent; he couldn’t bear it. With feverish haste he uncovered the caches of powder and meat. Under the sand was a fat clayey soil. He dug up hands-full of it, wet it with the only liquid available and worked it into paste. He felt his way to the logs decided on for blasting, dug out a hole at their bases in the clay. After five careful trips from the powder cache to the hole, the mine was filled. He covered it with clay and laid on a roof of flat stones from the hearth. The spark of fire still glowed, and he nursed it with twigs.

She was there, whispering: “Charles?”

“Right here. Everything set?”

“All set. Let’s have that explosion.”

He took the remaining powder and with minute care, laid a train across the stockade to the mine. He crouched into a ball and flipped a burning twig onto the black line that crossed the white sand floor.

The blast seemed to wake up the world. Kennedy charged out of sleep, screaming, and a million birds woke with a squawk. Charles was conscious more of the choking reek than the noise as he scooped up the jerked venison and rushed through the ragged gap in the wall. A hand caught his--a small hand.

“You’re groggy,” Martha’s voice said, sounding far away. “Come on--fast. Man, that was a great ex-plosion!”

She towed him through the woods and underbrush--fast. As long as he hung on to her he didn’t stumble or run into a tree once. Irrationally embarrassed by his dependence on a child, he tried letting go for a short time--very short--and was quickly battered into changing his mind. He thought dizzily of the spearmen trying to follow through the dark and could almost laugh again.


Their trek to the coast was marked by desperate speed. For twenty-four hours, they stopped only to gnaw at their rations or snatch a drink at a stream. Charles kept moving because it was unendurable to let a ten-year-old girl exceed him in stamina. Both of them paid terribly for the murderous pace they kept. The child’s face became skull-like and her eyes red; her lips dried and cracked. He gasped at her as they pulled their way up a bramble-covered 45-degree slope: “How do you do it? Isn’t this ever going to end?”

“Ends soon,” she croaked at him. “You know we dodged ‘em three times?”

He could only shake his head.

She stared at him with burning red eyes. “This ain’t hard,” she croaked. “You do this with a gut-full of poison, that’s hard.”

Did you?”

She grinned crookedly and chanted something he did not understand:

“_Nine moons times thirteen is the daughter’s age

When she drinks the death-cup.

Three leagues times three she must race and rage

Down hills and up_--”

She added matter-of-factly: “Last year. Prove I have the power of the goddess. Run, climb, with your guts falling out. This year, starve for a week and run down a deer of seven points.”

He had lost track of days and nights when they stood on the brow of a hill at dawn and looked over the sea. The girl gasped: “‘Sall right now. She wouldn’t let them go on. She’s a bitch, but she’s no fool.” The child fell in her tracks. Charles, too tired for panic, slept too.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close