The Laughing Girl - Cover

The Laughing Girl

Public Domain

Chapter 16: The Countess

I was very unhappy. I was not only madly in love with Thusis but also mad enough to spank her. And I sat down in the arbor once more a prey to mixed emotions.

The two silent little birds had gone to bed. Soft mauve shadows lay across the scrubby foreland; snow peaks assumed the hue of pink pearls; a wavering light played through the valley so that the world seemed to quiver in primrose tints.

Then, through the pale yellow glory, a girl came drifting as though part of the delicate beauty of it all, —her frail, primrose evening gown and scarf scarcely outlined—scarcely detached from the golden clarity about her. It was as though she were lost in the monotone of living light the only accent the dusky symmetry of her head.

I had not realized that the Countess Manntrapp was so pretty.

I was not sure that she had discovered me at all until she turned her head en passant and sent me one of those vague smiles calculated to stir the dead bones of saints.

“I suppose,” she said, “you only look lonely, but really you are not.”

I was lonely and sore at heart. Possibly she read in my forced smile something of my state of mind, for she paused leisurely by the arbor and glanced about her at the grape leaves.

“Evidently,” she said, “this spot is sacred to Bacchus. But I was not looking for gods or half-gods ... Do you prefer your own company, Mr. O’Ryan?”

“No, I don’t,” said I. So she entered the arbor and seated herself. There was only that one seat. With strictest economy it could accommodate two; but I had not thought of attempting it until she carelessly suggested it.

“How heavenly still it is,” she murmured, an absent expression in her dark eyes. “Are you fond of stillness and solitude?”

“Not very,” said I. “Are you, Countess?”

She said, dreamily, that she was, but her side glance belied her. Never did the goddess of mischief look at me out of two human eyes as audaciously as she was doing now. And it was so transparent a challenge, so utterly without disguise, that we both laughed.

I don’t know why I laughed unless the soreness in mind and heart had provoked their natural reaction. A listless endurance of suffering is the first symptom of indifference—that blessed anodyne with which instinct inoculates unhappy hearts when the bitterness which was sorrow wears away and leaves only dull resignation.

“At dinner,” she said, “I made up my mind that you are an interesting man. I am wondering.”

“I came to a similar conclusion concerning you,” said I. “But I’m no longer wondering how near right I am.”

“Such a pretty compliment! Also it dissipates any doubts regarding you.”

“Did you have any, Countess?”

“Well, you know what I asked you at dinner. You understood? You read lips, don’t you?”

“I read yours.”

“I wasn’t sure. You gave me no answer.”

We laughed lightly. “What answer can a mortal make when Aphrodite commands?” said I.

“Then you are willing to play Adonis?”

“Quite as willing—as was that young gentleman.”

“That isn’t kind of you, Mr. O’Ryan. He wasn’t very willing, was he?”

“Not very. But possibly he had a premonition of the tragic consequences,” said I, laughing. “One doesn’t frivol with a goddess with impunity.”

“Are you afraid?”

She turned in the narrow seat. She was altogether too near, but I couldn’t help it. And I was much disturbed to find our fingers had become very lightly intertwined.

She was smiling when I kissed her. But after I had done it her smile faded, and the gay confidence in her expression altered.

I had never expected to see in her eyes any hint of confusion, but it was there, and a sort of shamed surprise, too—odd emotions for a hardened coquette with the reputation she enjoyed.

“You proceed too rapidly,” she said, the bright but subtly changed smile still stamped on her lips. “There seems to be no finesse about Americans—no leisurely technique that masters the intricacies of the ante-climax. Did you not know that hesitation is an art; that the only perfect happiness is in suspense?”

“Didn’t you want to be kissed?” I asked bluntly. “I had perhaps surmised that it might not be a disagreeable sensation. Was it?”

She seemed to have recovered her careless audacity, and now she laughed.

“At all events,” she said, “I shall not repeat the experiment ... this evening.” She laid one soft hand in mine with a gay little smile: “Let us enjoy our new friendship serenely and without undue emotion,” she said. “And let me tell you how you have made me laugh at what you said to those absurd Prussians!”

We both laughed, but I was now on my guard with this girl who had come here in such company.

“No Prussian ever born ever knew how to make a friend,” she said. “To-day they have the whole world against them—even your country——”

“I am Chilean,” said I pleasantly.

“Are you really?”

“I think you and your friends are quite sure of that,” said I drily.

“Suppose,” she said in a lower voice, “I tell you that they are not my friends?”

I smiled.

“You wouldn’t believe me?” she asked.

“What I believe and do not believe, dear Countess, should not disturb you in the slightest.”

“I thought we were friends.”

“Do you really think so?”

“I hope so. I wish it—if you do. And friendship does not fear confidences.”

“Neutrals have no confidences to make. My country is not at war.”

“Is not your heart enlisted?” she asked, smilingly.

“Is yours?”

“Yes, it is! See how my friendship refuses no confidence when you ask? I do not hesitate.”

“On which side,” said I, warily, “is your heart enlisted?”

“Shall I tell you?”

“If you care to.”

She sat looking at me intently, her soft hand in mine. Then, with a pretty gesture, she placed the other hand over it, and her shoulder came into contact with mine.

“I am Russian,” she said. “Is that not an answer?”

“So is Puppsky,” I remarked.

For a second an odd expression came over her face and it turned quite white. Then she laughed.

“I’ll tell you something,” she said. “I have a girl friend. I love her dearly. I have a country. I love it still more dearly. The girl I love is Adelaide, Grand Duchess of Luxemburg. Prussia has practically annexed it. The country I love is Russia. Prussia holds it ... Do you still doubt me?”

“Good Lord,” thought I, “how this girl can lie!” But I said: “Tell me about Luxemburg, Countess. Is it true that Prince Ruprecht of Bavaria means to marry the seventeen-year-old sister of the Grand Duchess Adelaide?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close