Spies Die Hard!

by Arnold Marmor

Public Domain

Science Fiction Story: Earth's espionage ring was a headache, so the Martian Security Chief offered ten thousand credits for a key agent. But even for a price--

Tags: Science Fiction   Novel-Classic  

“This man is a spy for Earth,” a voice droned, as the telecaster vibrated and a photo of Harry Horn flashed on the screen. “Ten thousand credits for this man, dead or alive. Contact Lazar of the Security Police. Harry Horn. Thirty-four, five feet, eleven inches, one hundred and seventy-two pounds.”

Lynn Brickel snapped off the humming machine. She frowned. Horn had been high in the Martian Security Police, one of Lazar’s top men. Now Horn turned out to be a spy for Earth. Why hadn’t she been told? Was Green losing his trust in her? Hadn’t she helped McLean and Sanderson escape from Mars?

Her short tunic shimmered as she began to pace the floor. She stopped short as a hum splashed through the room. She went quickly to the door and pressed a red button on the wall.

But the vibration of the elevator did not reach her ears. Puzzled, she opened the door, stepped into the marble hall. She shrugged, started to return to her apartment when the sound of footsteps on the stairs halted her. She waited.

He came into view. Harry Horn. There was no mistaking his face. It had flashed on and off the telecaster throughout the day.

“Brickel?” he said, coming up to her.

His white coveralls were spotted with grime. There was a dark bruise on his right cheek.

“Yes,” she said.

“I’m Harry Horn.”

“I know.”

“You’ve got to help me.” His voice was urgent, pleading. He brushed past her, into her room. She walked in after him, shut and locked the door, leaned her back against it.

“You can’t stay here,” she said.

“Are you alone?”

“Yes,” she said. “I’m alone.”

He went through the apartment, returned to the front room. “I had to make sure.” He sank into the low divan, covered his face with his hands.

She walked toward him. “You can’t stay here,” she repeated.

He looked up at her, his eyes frightened. “Do you have any idea of what Lazar will do to me once he gets his fat hands around my throat? He won’t kill me right away.”

“Why come to me?”

“You can help me.”

“What can I do?”

“You can help me get away. A turbo-engine space ship. That’s all I need. It’s small and fast.”

“But why come to me? You haven’t explained.”

“You helped McLean and Sanderson.”

“How do you know this?”

“We’re both in the same organization but not in the same unit. The leader of my unit instructed me to go to you.”

“I see. Who is your leader?”

“I can’t tell you. You know that. I wouldn’t ask you your leader’s name.”


Lynn shrugged slim shoulders. “It wouldn’t make any difference. He is not stationed on Mars.”

Horn jumped to his feet. “You will help me?”

“If I can.”

“Can you get me the ship?”

“I suppose. But we’ll have to wait for night. It is dangerous to do anything now. Ten thousand credits. Lazar wants you awful bad. He offered five for both McLean and Sanderson.”

“I was very close to Lazar in the Security Police. I know too much.”

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close